The Baylor Game Re-visited-- | The Boneyard

The Baylor Game Re-visited--

Reaction Score
I watched the Baylor game again last evening. This time less emotionally.
Uconn missed a ton of shots they normally made. Baylors defense was good but not that good. Phee, whom I though was regularly stuffed, wasn't.
With 3.31 left in the 4th quarter Uconn was down by 5 ---FIVE, think about that. Usually that's a win.
KLS, Phee, had many unguarded shots that didn't go.
Point is: I feared meeting Baylor again. Not now: they were and are beatable if Uconn only plays their B plus game.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Uconn missed a ton of shots they normally made. Baylors defense was good but not that good. Phee, whom I though was regularly stuffed, wasn't.
With 3.31 left in the 4th quarter Uconn was down by 5 ---FIVE, think about that. Usually that's a win.
Point is: I feared meeting Baylor again. Not now: they were and are beatable if Uconn only plays their B plus game.
Add to your analysis that Baylor is very good at home. If and when UConn meets Baylor again this season, it won’t be in Waco.

Reaction Score
Add to your analysis that Baylor is very good at home. If and when UConn meets Baylor again this season, it won’t be in Waco.
In the old daze when the court was round and the ball was square a hypothesis said: The HOME COURT gave the home team a 10 point advantage, not sure that applies any longer. But certainly, the home crowd inspires the home team.
Thanks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well I've said it enough, but I guess it bears repeating. On a neutral court with Lou, Pheesa, CD and CW shooting well, I'll take my chances against any team.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If they were to meet once again, I think UConn can get the win. They had a terrible shooting day that game, I don’t think that happens again if they were to play again

I watched the Baylor game again last evening. This time less emotionally. Uconn missed a ton of shots they normally made. Baylor's defense was good but not that good. Phee, whom I thought was regularly stuffed, wasn't. With 3.31 left in the 4th quarter Uconn was down by 5 ---FIVE, think about that. Usually that's a win. KLS, Phee, had many unguarded shots that didn't go.

Both of UConn’s losses bore similarities.
1. They were road games against top 5 opponents.
2. They endured "ice cold" shooting nights. Their shots were not falling and the team was out of sync. Against Baylor FG% = 29.4% - Louisville = 38%.

When their shots are falling and they’re in sync, they play well and win against a top 5 team as they did against Note Dame in South Bend. THAT game showed and proved to everyone what kind of team this is. It’s very hard to beat ND at home anytime. As bad as UConn played in those two losses, they were still in the game midway through the 4th quarter. In both cases, the home team smelled blood in the water, and became more aggressive as the game wore on. UConn was unable to make defensive "stops" when they were needed most. Baylor and Louisville just happened to catch UConn at the right time, and took advantage of it. If those games are played in Storrs, UConn wins both. ;)

If UConn is going to win the NC, they are going to see one or both of these programs again depending on what region they are sent to, and how they are seeded. Neither one will have home court advantage this time. I like our chances in a rematch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Both of UConn’s losses bore similarities.
1. They were road games against top 5 opponents.
2. They endured "ice cold" shooting nights. Their shots were not falling and the team was out of sync. Against Baylor FG% = 29.4% - Louisville = 38%.

When their shots are falling and they’re in sync, they play well and win against a top 5 team as they did against Note Dame in South Bend. THAT game showed and proved to everyone what kind of team this is. It’s very hard to beat ND at home anytime. As bad as UConn played in those two losses, they were still in the game midway through the 4th quarter. In both cases, the home team smelled blood in the water, and became more aggressive as the game wore on. UConn was unable to make defensive "stops" when they were needed most. Baylor and Louisville just happened to catch UConn at the right time, and
@took advantage of it.

If UConn is going to win the NC, they are going to see one or both of these programs again depending how the bracket is set , and where they are seeded.

@Scoop Nice rundown on both games, thanks.
You are right about the defensive stops; also true is that had they shot (open shots) as they have mostly done either or both would be wins.
The key to success from here on out is: Make shots! The defense of both opponents was tough to begin the games but loosened a lot. Was that due to Uconn not making them or were the opponent tired. I leave that to people with your expertise
The chance for Uconn to win it all has jumped high in my expectation. They are not as bad as I thought nor was Baylor as good as I thought. Then too Uconn ONO, CW, Walker, Coombs (who played in the Baylor game) have improved exponentially.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
@Scoop Nice rundown on both games, thanks.
You are right about the defensive stops; also true is that had they shot (open shots) as they have mostly done either or both would be wins.
The key to success from here on out is: Make shots! The defense of both opponents was tough to begin the games but loosened a lot. Was that due to Uconn not making them or were the opponent tired. I leave that to people with your expertise
The chance for Uconn to win it all has jumped high in my expectation. They are not as bad as I thought nor was Baylor as good as I thought. Then too Uconn ONO, CW, Walker, Coombs (who played in the Baylor game) have improved exponentially.

Agreed!!! Geno has his rotation of 7 players set. ONO and Coombs will come off the bench in that order. No doubt Geno will pick and choose when to best use his two reserves, but they will see plenty playing time, especially if Geno presses a team in the first half. Geno knows he can't play his starters 40 minutes a game throughout the tournament.

It's likely one of them will get in early foul trouble at some point and ONO will have to come in earlier than he would like. I'm comfortable with ONO in the game at this point. She's improved her game on both ends of the court, to the point where she won't hurt you if you have to put her on the floor for an extended period of time. I like our chances going forward. UConn is still a team no one wants to play in come March, unless it's for the championship. Some things never change. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the old daze when the court was round and the ball was square a hypothesis said: The HOME COURT gave the home team a 10 point advantage, not sure that applies any longer. But certainly, the home crowd inspires the home team.
Thanks.
I think that in addition to the home court "advantage", Baylor and their fans were a bit more hyped up than usual because it was the Huskies coming to town.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
While I generally agree with the theme of this thread, I would add some qualifiers to the consensus view. I also re-watched both games fairly recently. Particularly in the Baylor game, I was quite impressed with the Baylor defense. Although some open shots weren't falling, Baylor stopped almost everything that UConn usually relies on for "easy" scoring: transition baskets, misdirection in the half court leading to layups, and backdoor plays.

In his halftime interview, Geno acknowledged that the team had missed some shots that would normally be made at a higher percentage, but he also said that his team was giving up on its offense when the first sequence in the possession did not yield an easy look. He told them to keep having faith in the offense and keep running it even if the immediate good looks did not present themselves, and the team never really did that. I expect that will be a major point of emphasis in the preparation for any second meeting.

I thought the Louisville loss had to do mostly with hot shooting late in the game by Louisville, primarily by one Ms. Durr. It's questionable whether that will occur again in a Final Four environment, with a less partisan crowd and an opportunity for the coaches to prepare a defensive plan.

It looks to me as if UConn is likely to be either second overall seed (if Louisville beats ND) or the third overall seed (if ND wins the ACC tournament). That would mean that both of UConn's Final Four games would be against teams that they have already played. Geno says he prefers to play teams that UConn hasn't already played, but this year I think UConn gains more of an advantage from familiarity than any of its opponents.

Reaction Score
well, Baylor bigs will not be smaller next time the 2 teams meet so UConn will need to shoot well from outside and if they do, UConn will win! Baylor is a very very good team but not a great team and is beatable by this UConn team on a natural court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The 1st game was an anomoly . Taking nothing from Baylor, including the confidence they took out of that game, I like our chances in a rematch, weather it be on clay or weed or hardwood. ;)

Reaction Score
Baylor is going to be tough to beat on neutral court but if both team play their A game I believe UConn wins. My concern is will all five UConn players be on because if not Baylor has the advantage because of depth.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think many of you missed the main point of how the game was played, or not played, by UConn.
i mentioned on the game recap topic, back in January.
UConn applied zero pressure to Baylor and let them run plays all game. Baylor had 52 points in the paint. if you dont apply pressure to their guards their bigs will eat you up. These are the numbers of turnovers Baylor had coming into the game in their OOC games, from the start of the season until 1/5--------17, 10, 21, 16, 16,17, 14, 14, 15, 14. UConn, one of the best teams in WBB only forced Baylor into 5 T/O's.
Perhaps it was Genos strategy to see what would result from no pressure. If UConn plays Baylor again, the plan needs some tweeking IMO

Reaction Score
Well I've said enough, but I guess it bears repeating. On a neutral court with Lou, Pheesa, CD and CW shooting well, I'll take my chances against any team.
Well, Baylor was supposedly invincible the 2 separate years that Oregon State kept them from advancing in the NCAA Tournament. Those 2 years, Baylor's played a weak schedule and Oregon State played for their life in the PAC-12 every weekend. This year, Baylor has played a much more challenging OOC schedule. Baylor, and their coaching staff, will be much better prepared this year than in past years. However, Baylor, and every other team in the tournament, can be beat on a given night. This will be a great NCAA Tournament this year.

Reaction Score
Lets not forget the Baylor loss was also after a long stretch at home for Christmas for the girls with little practice before traveling to Waco.

Yea right after they nearly lost to Oklahoma....

Well, Baylor was supposedly invincible the 2 separate years that Oregon State kept them from advancing in the NCAA Tournament. Those 2 years, Baylor's played a weak schedule and Oregon State played for their life in the PAC-12 every weekend. This year, Baylor has played a much more challenging OOC schedule. Baylor, and their coaching staff, will be much better prepared this year than in past years. However, Baylor, and every other team in the tournament, can be beat on a given night. This will be a great NCAA Tournament this year.

Baylor should not have lost the first time. The 2nd I can understand as we lost Kristy Wallace on the last regular season game of the year.

Reaction Score
Deja vu all over again.
Couple points. (sorry couldn't find an appropriate foghorn leghorn cartoon to go with this)
1. basketball has been played for a long time. Only on BY (and a revisiting at that) does the losing team talk about how poorly they shot. Ever remember that before in the history of the game? No. Because it is not done!
What if the Lakers had shot better against the Celtics and Bill Russell? Maybe Russ only deserved about 6 titles.
2. every 18 foot jump shot is not the same! Are you catching the ball in rhythm? after a cut? ball movement? where you are effective shooting? etc, etc. Baylor slowed us down to a crawl and none of the above was true. I don't have to watch the game again to remember that.
3. All of the games we've lost the last 3 seasons have been because of the same problem: lack of ball movement and motion in our offense. Often called, "standing around". I've seen the same crap these last couple of games. We get blinded by the fact that we're playing "sisters-of-the-poor". Katie Lou can't hit with a hand in her face. Phees can't get her shot off if we're not moving. (yes, I said that and yes I watched the Tulsa game)
IMO for UConn to win, our offense must flow. If it doesn't we'll be watching another heartbreak come tourney time.
I'll preface all my comments with: 1000+ wins, 11 NCs, AA's, the Wall, kids had to study, trip to Texas, Missouri, Kansas, whatever is tiring, jet lag, Coach is sick, I saw Katie Lou cough into her jersey, broke up with boyfriends..... there now everyone is happy.
I never criticize without offering suggestions. Look at my history of posts.
Take advantage of the open floor, I like pressing, fast break, give it up Katie Lou, sprint to your spot and Crystal will find you, dribble, penetrate and find the open man, set real screens and cut sharply, preferably V-cuts...….
(off to find a really esoteric quote that no one will understand and accompany it with a really funny cartoon..... Go Huskies, Congrats Seniors and Rebecca)

Reaction Score
While I generally agree with the theme of this thread, I would add some qualifiers to the consensus view. I also re-watched both games fairly recently. Particularly in the Baylor game, I was quite impressed with the Baylor defense. Although some open shots weren't falling, Baylor stopped almost everything that UConn usually relies on for "easy" scoring: transition baskets, misdirection in the half court leading to layups, and backdoor plays.

In his halftime interview, Geno acknowledged that the team had missed some shots that would normally be made at a higher percentage, but he also said that his team was giving up on its offense when the first sequence in the possession did not yield an easy look. He told them to keep having faith in the offense and keep running it even if the immediate good looks did not present themselves, and the team never really did that. I expect that will be a major point of emphasis in the preparation for any second meeting.

I thought the Louisville loss had to do mostly with hot shooting late in the game by Louisville, primarily by one Ms. Durr. It's questionable whether that will occur again in a Final Four environment, with a less partisan crowd and an opportunity for the coaches to prepare a defensive plan.

It looks to me as if UConn is likely to be either second overall seed (if Louisville beats ND) or the third overall seed (if ND wins the ACC tournament). That would mean that both of UConn's Final Four games would be against teams that they have already played. Geno says he prefers to play teams that UConn hasn't already played, but this year I think UConn gains more of an advantage from familiarity than any of its opponents.

I Won't disagree with a word. However, if Uconn made their normal percentage of the OPEN shots, with the score under 10 in the closing quarter, it would easily have been a win for Uconn. Both Baylor and Louisville began the games with tough defense. which in my opinion loosened up as they moved to the second half.
You may and others do disagree that Baylor and possibly Louisville are much more beatable than I originally assessed. That does not mean Uconn can play their "C: game and slide by from here on out.

Reaction Score
Deja vu all over again.
Couple points. (sorry couldn't find an appropriate foghorn leghorn cartoon to go with this)
1. basketball has been played for a long time. Only on BY (and a revisiting at that) does the losing team talk about how poorly they shot. Ever remember that before in the history of the game? No. Because it is not done!
What if the Lakers had shot better against the Celtics and Bill Russell? Maybe Russ only deserved about 6 titles.
2. every 18 foot jump shot is not the same! Are you catching the ball in rhythm? after a cut? ball movement? where you are effective shooting? etc, etc. Baylor slowed us down to a crawl and none of the above was true. I don't have to watch the game again to remember that.
3. All of the games we've lost the last 3 seasons have been because of the same problem: lack of ball movement and motion in our offense. Often called, "standing around". I've seen the same crap these last couple of games. We get blinded by the fact that we're playing "sisters-of-the-poor". Katie Lou can't hit with a hand in her face. Phees can't get her shot off if we're not moving. (yes, I said that and yes I watched the Tulsa game)
IMO for UConn to win, our offense must flow. If it doesn't we'll be watching another heartbreak come tourney time.
I'll preface all my comments with: 1000+ wins, 11 NCs, AA's, the Wall, kids had to study, trip to Texas, Missouri, Kansas, whatever is tiring, jet lag, Coach is sick, I saw Katie Lou cough into her jersey, broke up with boyfriends..... there now everyone is happy.
I never criticize without offering suggestions. Look at my history of posts.
Take advantage of the open floor, I like pressing, fast break, give it up Katie Lou, sprint to your spot and Crystal will find you, dribble, penetrate and find the open man, set real screens and cut sharply, preferably V-cuts...….
(off to find a really esoteric quote that no one will understand and accompany it with a really funny cartoon..... Go Huskies, Congrats Seniors and Rebecca)
If you are looking for words no one will understand you should seek out Rocky his multiple posts are sure to serve your purpose.

Reaction Score
If you are looking for words no one will understand you should seek out Rocky his multiple posts are sure to serve your purpose.
I know. The last time I chimed in, somehow I got in the middle of a conversation the two of you were having. Funny, I forget what it was about. Geno's girth or something.
He felt like he got my scalp like an old Mohawk or something.

What about my basketball points? No conversation?

Reaction Score
I know. The last time I chimed in, somehow I got in the middle of a conversation the two of you were having. Funny, I forget what it was about. Geno's girth or something.
He felt like he got my scalp like an old Mohawk or something.

What about my basketball points? No conversation?
Gee guy, I'm don't know what you think you got between but--The Rock and I banter, 98 percent good naturedly
He's been on me for being cryptic---I have two problems, I'm old with a long memory and things pop in the brain that he never knew or forgotten so he thinks them cryptic. I hold no animosity--I find most of it in fun. Then I have a bad left hand that often times leaves some letters out. I have to reread everything twice or I miss those errors--sometimes I just say--bull, it is what it is.
ON YOUR COMMENT: I like your final paragraph. The problem with the first paragraph is: I can rarely tell if Uconns shooting is off or the opponent are defending well. In Baylor I thought they defended well or better to start then lacked off in the 2nd quarter. Uconn generally gives away the first quarter then fights like hell in the 4th--why??
Don't stop posting because of me or Rocky--you have plenty to say and it is fun to comment here on the BY right or wrong---(I'm usually the latter)

Reaction Score
Baylor is a very good team. They outplayed UConn and UConn could not make baskets the way they have the potential to do. Was that because it was another off day for UConn or was the Baylor defense capable of shutting UConn down.

Rehashing this is like rehashing the Battle of the Bulge or the Battle of Khe Sahn where I served for two months. What could have been done? If only if. It's done and that is now History.

The team has improved. But it improved against the AAC which seems to want to fight more aggressively against UConn. How much they have improved will be shown in the third and fourth rounds of the tournament. If UConn cannot make 3's and is shut down by bigs and a good team that just wants to beat UConn, it will be a difficult game.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I can't believe all the 'IFs.' If we shot better... If we weren't in Waco/Louisville... If we moved the ball faster and crisper... We didn't...

If fecal matter were gold, we'd all be rich.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can't believe all the 'IFs.' If we shot better... If we weren't in Waco/Louisville... If we moved the ball faster and crisper... We didn't...

If fecal matter were gold, we'd all be rich.

If we scored more points. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom