The Battle Hymn of the Republic | The Boneyard

The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Reaction Score
I wonder if this has occurred to anyone. I absolutely love the Band's pregame show. I especially enjoy the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Despite being born in Texas, that was during WW2 when Lt. Tuthill was instructing fighter pilots before being assigned to a B29 crew in preparation for an extended campaign in Asia that we know never happened. I am a New England Yankee through and through (with some roots also in NY). I had a great grandfather who was wounded twice at Antietam and his tentmate killed in that battle. So I love that Hymn and I am proud that UConn plays it.

But I am a little bit curious. If UConn gets into the B12 or ACC, would there be a request to have the band stop playing it? Would it be viewed as offensive in some quarters? If so, personally I think the response should be we'll stop playing it if you stop displaying the Confederate flag. And from a marketing point of view, playing the Battle Hymn should be pure gold.

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
I mean this from the bottom of my heart, duck*** the South and he Confederacy and the 2024 losers who still cosplay it. Play it louder, play it twice.

Best part of the pregame is when they drop the UConn flags to raise the US and CT flags.

Reaction Score
There are some great stories about that song. Has a Connecticut connection. It was originally a marching song John Brown’S Body. John Brown was the Torrington abolitionist.

At at least one time Julia Ward Howe claimed she couldn’t sleep while trying to write the song and an angel appeared to her and helped her finish it.

There is another story, apparently true, that a group of American prisoners began singing it. It spread to the entire camp, then they began marching and eventually marched right out of the prison camp. The rebel guards were with the sight and sounds.

I think it is a very powerful song. And our band performs it very well.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Rest of the country (or most of it) has told me what I need to know about how they view UConn, so I could care less what they would think of us playing the song. Battle Hymn of the Republic gives me goosebumps when I hear it, great music.

Reaction Score
Offensive to who? Not anyone whose opinion I would care about ...
Its roots are from the Civil War. A marching tune for the Federal forces with different lyrics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are people who are offended by the sunrise. While it is best not to give offense, it is impossible to go through life without offending someone.

That said, the Battle Hymn of the Republic is generally regarded as powerful patriotic anthem celebrating freedom and justice even in the south.

Reaction Score
Its roots are from the Civil War. A marching tune for the Federal forces with different lyrics.
Yes, I know what it's from/what it's about. I was insinuating what types of people would find it "offensive".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom