The Bad For The Game Drumbeat Begins | The Boneyard

The Bad For The Game Drumbeat Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hertzel column: Dynasties are becoming too great in college sports

"But getting to the timing behind this conversation today we come to women’s basketball, where Geno Auriemma has created an unbeatable monster in Connecticut, something WVU had to deal with when it was a member of the Big East."
It is not a 'bad' article and uses men's teams to set it up, and then deals mostly with a triumvirate of Baylor ND and Uconn. But it is also factually incorrect - in terms of college talent it is quite spread -
2017 class rankings Uconn at #2, Baylor at #7 and ND outside the top 20
2016 class rankings had Baylor at #2, ND at #5 and Uconn at #14
2015 - Uconn, Baylor, and ND at 3,4,5
2014 - Uconn, ND 4.5 and Baylor unranked
2013 - ND 4, Baylor 9 and Uconn unranked
That is a ton of talent not going to his 'big three' - in fact none of them has had the #1 class in the last 5 committed classes and only Uconn and Baylor got one #2 ranked class while all three had one year of being outside the top 20. So something else is going on.

It is called coaching and developing talent and KEEPING it. Both by not losing the talent to transfer, and not having it leave to go pro. If you look at men's basketball recruiting I am pretty sure you would find a few programs with better overall recruiting success relative to their peers, but then that talent is gone in at most 2 years.

NB - in those 5 years the top classes were UNC (1, UR, 7, 13, UR) UCLA (UR, 1, 10, UR, 6), Duke (2, 3, 1, UR, 12), Maryland (7, UR, 11, 1, UR), and TN (3, 6, 13, UR, 1)

Reaction Score
It is not a 'bad' article and uses men's teams to set it up, and then deals mostly with a triumvirate of Baylor ND and Uconn. But it is also factually incorrect - in terms of college talent it is quite spread -
That is a ton of talent not going to his 'big three' - in fact none of them has had the #1 class in the last 5 committed classes and only Uconn and Baylor got one #2 ranked class while all three had one year of being outside the top 20. So something else is going on.

It is called coaching and developing talent and KEEPING it. Both by not losing the talent to transfer, and not having it leave to go pro. If you look at men's basketball recruiting I am pretty sure you would find a few programs with better overall recruiting success relative to their peers, but then that talent is gone in at most 2 years.

NB - in those 5 years the top classes were UNC (1, UR, 7, 13, UR) UCLA (UR, 1, 10, UR, 6), Duke (2, 3, 1, UR, 12), Maryland (7, UR, 11, 1, UR), and TN (3, 6, 13, UR, 1)
This seems obvious to me, but for some reason was left out of the article. If you're going to talk about parity in men's basketball, you most certainly have to bring up the fact that the top talent is one and done. It's not parity by design the way the author seems to imply. It's fat NBA contracts that ensures churn in the men's game, and keeps the best players coming and going at a fast pace preventing any one team from stockpiling talent and dominating for multiple consecutive seasons.

Reaction Score
Why does he not talk about reducing the number of scholarships from 15 to 13?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This seems obvious to me, but for some reason was left out of the article. If you're going to talk about parity in men's basketball, you most certainly have to bring up the fact that the top talent is one and done. It's not parity by design the way the author seems to imply. It's fat NBA contracts that ensures churn in the men's game, and keeps the best players coming and going at a fast pace preventing any one team from stockpiling talent and dominating for multiple consecutive seasons.
Actually, he pointed out the dominance of certain men's teams in their conferences.

The talent argument was Mike Carey's, not the author. I think it over-analyzes things to look at recruiting class rankings, rather, as he sort of hints, where are the "elite" players going. Not every well thought of player is truly elite. Then, recognize the need to recruit the right "mix", which Geno does really well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I wouldn't give this column the time of day. Journalistic wastage.
I don't see the problem. It's an opinion piece, centered around the fact that Baylor, one of the teams he is commenting are a "have", are coming to play WVU later this week.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hertzel column: Dynasties are becoming too great in college sports

"But getting to the timing behind this conversation today we come to women’s basketball, where Geno Auriemma has created an unbeatable monster in Connecticut, something WVU had to deal with when it was a member of the Big East."

Blah blah blah. Another one jumps on the bandwagon. I'd still like to know where all this whining was when Wooden & UCLA were dominating and Summitt and TENN were winning all the time? Don't remember any of the bitching back then just praise for outstanding coaches and programs.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, Diana Tuarasi, Sue Bird, Tina Charles:

Good for the damn game. Period.

And this season's incarnation of UConn WBB has been lovable, plucky, and fierce. Some thrilling games played so far to keep that streak alive.

Reaction Score
It was a filler article it seems. The paper would have been better off with a Bob's Furniture store ad.
Of course, they'd have preferred that, too: they'd be getting revenue from Bob's instead of having to pay Mr. Hertzel, famous Pulitzer-prize winning columnist, $25 or whatever. Our discussing this column certainly must have made Mrs. Hertzel's day!

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, Diana Tuarasi, Sue Bird, Tina Charles:

Good for the damn game. Period.

And this season's incarnation of UConn WBB has been lovable, plucky, and fierce. Some thrilling games played so far to keep that streak alive.

Especially like; "lovable, plucky, and fierce," wonderful Alex!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Players are flocking to Waco for the beautiful landscape and the mild summers.

I could make a really nasty (historical) crack
But I won't
I don't want to be banned

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

I didn't read the article, but I would argue that getting the top player in a class is much more important than getting the top class. Recruiting class rankings are arbitrary, but it is usually pretty clear who is the top player. Historically, when UConn gets the top player, they win the NC. When they don't, well Parker got two, and was injured for another. Heck, she was injured her senior year, and still won an NC. Then Britney Griner won one, lost on a fluke in another. She may have had an injury year too.

UConn may not have been expected to do well this year, but they still have the number one player, KLS. Brenda Friese was quick to point that out in her press conference. We both know there is much more to it than that, but still I feel that getting the top player is more important than getting the top class. History bears me out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This appears to be a preemptive excuse explaining why WVU is going to get their clock cleaned by Baylor. After being upset by KSU, they are probably a little sensitive in Morgantown.

Reaction Score
There was a graphic on one of the games the other day that showed that like 6 or 7 teams had more McDonald's All-Americans on their current rosters then UConn...........as much as I appreciate KLS, I don't think you can compare her impact on the game to Griner as a number one ranked player in the class.........Crystal was the number one ranked guard in her class and and while in the long run she will be an impact player, I would hardly say she has been the difference maker for the Huskies in more then one game so far this year.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority here ( nothing new) but tend to agree with this central point from the article:
" The problem, as Carey sees it, right now is there is not enough elite talent in women’s basketball to go around and even things out."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, if I hear you folks right you don't want this kind of thing brought to your attention? But if I stumble on a good furniture bargain ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom