The B1G 2023-24 Season Thread | The Boneyard

The B1G 2023-24 Season Thread

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
HerHoopStats Gives Snapshots of All 14 B1G Teams

By no means is this exhaustive, but if you're wondering who graduated, transferred or who came in and/or stayed for teams from Wisconsin to Rutgers,
not a bad place to sstart.

Reaction Score
The increase in TV viewership for the Big last year over previous years was astounding. Yes, Clark appeal was a large factor but not the whole story. It will be interesting to follow the viewership for important conference games not involving Iowa.

Heck, out of conference game viewership will be interesting too.

Attendance will be interesting as well!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks Dillon. Still looks like Ohio State, Indiana and Iowa for the title.
I'm very interested in the "Core Four" of the Terps:
  • Will Sellers continue to improve, as she did last year?
  • Will Alexander and Briggs go from being very effective wingmen (for Miller and Meyers) to being somewhat their "former selves" before they came to Landover?
  • And Masonius will continue to be both glue and rock, as she has been throughout her high school and college years.

Can Jakia Brown-Turner be incorporated?

I'm sure you'll keep us posted on all that....;)

Reaction Score
HerHoopStats Gives Snapshots of All 14 B1G Teams

By no means is this exhaustive, but if you're wondering who graduated, transferred or who came in and/or stayed for teams from Wisconsin to Rutgers,
not a bad place to sstart.

Thanks, Dillon for starting this thread for us B1G fans. We have so many story lines this season. I am curious to see what Coach Arico does at Michigan and who she runs the offense through this year. Ohio State, Iowa, and Indiana are the frontrunners but we can never forget Maryland. They are always a threat. Looking forward to seeing if Illinois makes some noise or stays back in that middle pack with Michigan and Purdue. Also, Coach Moseley. Year 3 at Wisconsin. Looking forward to seeing if she can continue to improve that Wisconsin team. My Golden Gophers, with our exciting new Coach Plitzuweit. I love what she did over at South Dakota State and hopefully she can continue what she did at South Dakota State here in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Dillon for starting this thread for us B1G fans. We have so many story lines this season. I am curious to see what Coach Arico does at Michigan and who she runs the offense through this year. Ohio State, Iowa, and Indiana are the frontrunners but we can never forget Maryland. They are always a threat. Looking forward to seeing if Illinois makes some noise or stays back in that middle pack with Michigan and Purdue. Also, Coach Moseley. Year 3 at Wisconsin. Looking forward to seeing if she can continue to improve that Wisconsin team. My Golden Gophers, with our exciting new Coach Plitzuweit. I love what she did over at South Dakota State and hopefully she can continue what she did at South Dakota State here in Minnesota.
Yes!!!!!

Coach Plitzu is gonna be very interesting to watch - not that I expect to see much movement this year but I expect to see something a bit higher than the team talent level pretty soon. She has a good instate recruiting base and I expect your Gophers to be a program on the rise in the not too distant future.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great breakdown article.

My B1G questions heading into the season are:

1. Ohio State will have a killer press no doubt but when teams get them in the halfcourt will they be able to defend the post?

2. Speaking of post play I am intrigued in what Iowa's post play will look like. Clark can shoot it from anywhere but without a 60% shooting post player defenses may be able to stretch out and trap more as they are not concerned with Czinano inside. Iowa is known for their post coaching but what will it look like. Stuelke is undersized.

3. Indiana played games without Grace Berger last season and went 8-1 with wins over #6 UNC and Illinois so they have played without her. Berger did a lot for them, however.

4. Illinois! I am a Chicago native, so I am happy anything that Illinois does, and Shauna Greene has had a positive effect on the university and the community. Can she keep that momentum going?

5. Maryland will Maryland because of Frese. They very well could win the B1G or finish 4th. It remains to be seen but never count them out. Maryland does have to play Ohio State and Indiana twice but only gets Iowa once at home.

6. Super intrigued to see 1st year head coaches at Michigan State and Minnesota. They had winning cultures at their prior schools so hoping it translates for a fun B1G race.

Reaction Score
I'm very interested in the "Core Four" of the Terps:
  • Will Sellers continue to improve, as she did last year?
  • Will Alexander and Briggs go from being very effective wingmen (for Miller and Meyers) to being somewhat their "former selves" before they came to Landover?
  • And Masonius will continue to be both glue and rock, as she has been throughout her high school and college years.

Can Jakia Brown-Turner be incorporated?

I'm sure you'll keep us posted on all that....;)
The answer to the following question so far (from practices) are:

1. Yes. As long as Sellers stay out of foul trouble, she is very difficult to guard.
2. Alexander can shoot the ball. Briggs is a very good all-around player.
3. Masonius is going to be Masonius.

JBT didn't play in the open scrimmage because of a very minor injury.

So far the surprise players so far for the Terps are the two international players, Emma Chardon and Summer Bostock. Bostock toughness has really surprised me. She goes inside and grab offensive rebounds and make putbacks. Chardon has played well and the Terps are going to need her rebounding.

Reaction Score

1. Yes. As long as Sellers stay out of foul trouble, she is very difficult to guard.

So far the surprise players so far for the Terps are the two international players, Emma Chardon and Summer Bostock. Bostock toughness has really surprised me. She goes inside and grab offensive rebounds and make putbacks. Chardon has played well and the Terps are going to need her rebounding.

What you observed about Bostock isn't surprising to me, however I've had the benefit of seeing her for several years. Good to hear she's fitting in as I was curious as to whether Maryland was the right fit for her.

She hasn't been part of the Canada Basketball program for the last few FIBA events. Why? No clue. And with her early enrollment, there hasn't been much to see of her development since late 2022.

Reaction Score

Love the insight. I was really impressed with Alexander last year. She shot so well and provided a huge spark in several games. I thought Briggs started the season slow coming off injury but played better off the bench. So, I'm excited to see those two takes on bigger roles this upcoming season. Still not sure who their starting lineup will be, (Faith, Briggs, JBT, Alexander, Sellers)? I feel like Mcdaniel could start, and they may keep one of Briggs and Alexander off the bench. I thought it was interesting that Brenda Frese on Media Day said that they didn't quite have any WNBA players yet on their roster. They have some talented grads but we'll see if they can play their best basketball this season in order to get in that conversation. I am also looking forward to seeing Kubek play. Despite losing M&M, I agree with others who are high on Maryland. I could definitely see them being just as good, if not better this season.

Reaction Score
Love the insight. I was really impressed with Alexander last year. She shot so well and provided a huge spark in several games. I thought Briggs started the season slow coming off injury but played better off the bench. So, I'm excited to see those two takes on bigger roles this upcoming season. Still not sure who their starting lineup will be, (Faith, Briggs, JBT, Alexander, Sellers)? I feel like Mcdaniel could start, and they may keep one of Briggs and Alexander off the bench. I thought it was interesting that Brenda Frese on Media Day said that they didn't quite have any WNBA players yet on their roster. They have some talented grads but we'll see if they can play their best basketball this season in order to get in that conversation. I am also looking forward to seeing Kubek play. Despite losing M&M, I agree with others who are high on Maryland. I could definitely see them being just as good, if not better this season.
I can see the Terps winning the Big 10 and making the Elite 8 again but everything has to break right for them. Especially health wise. The most disappointing thing about the scrimmage was Kubek didn't play because of a minor foot injury. Brenda said she will be alright though.

Reaction Score
Yes!!!!!

Coach Plitzu is gonna be very interesting to watch - not that I expect to see much movement this year but I expect to see something a bit higher than the team talent level pretty soon. She has a good instate recruiting base and I expect your Gophers to be a program on the rise in the not too distant future.
Oh no doubt. I have been a follower of Coach Plitzuweit for awhile and she does so much with so little. She turns players that were under recruited into some highly competitive players and she is a heck of a skills development coach. I loved working at her basketball camps when she was at South Dakota State.

Reaction Score
For those who want to do a deeper dive, this substance account did a great job breaking down every team along with stats.

Liked how he did one team per week. Was easier to digest over time. But this is still good to go through with non-conference play starting in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
For those who want to do a deeper dive, this substance account did a great job breaking down every team along with stats.

Liked how he did one team per week. Was easier to digest over time. But this is still good to go through with non-conference play starting in a few weeks.

Great stuff indeed. That was a solid deep dive. Thanks for sharing.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The increase in TV viewership for the Big last year over previous years was astounding. Yes, Clark appeal was a large factor but not the whole story. It will be interesting to follow the viewership for important conference games not involving Iowa.

Heck, out of conference game viewership will be interesting too.

Attendance will be interesting as well!
See my article on Conference attendance, both Iowa and Indiana have had huge increases in game attendance, and they vaulted the Big10 to the top of the conference per game attendance over the SEC (4,698 to 4,482) last year. This is really a 1 year jump for the Big10 that was usually between 3,800 to 4,000 fans per game before last year. I think this year will also be in the 4,700 range as Iowa, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio State will still be good.
School5-yr Ave'22-23'21-22'20-21'19-20'18-19'17-18
IowaBig Ten7,74411,1438,224N/A7,1026,7975,452
IndianaBig Ten4,9758,1044,726N/A4,0253,9204,102
MarylandBig Ten5,7907,1325,083N/A5,6255,5755,537
Ohio St.Big Ten4,7825,9553,274N/A4,9484,3365,398
NebraskaBig Ten4,6265,7614,489N/A4,3974,1014,380
MichiganBig Ten3,5464,1453,676N/A3,3533,5582,996
PurdueBig Ten5,1993,9813,145N/A6,3166,5156,036
Michigan St.Big Ten4,7943,6913,755N/A5,3415,4965,689
WisconsinBig Ten3,6043,6712,867N/A3,8863,8943,703
IllinoisBig Ten1,8393,4861,237N/A1,5741,5111,386
MinnesotaBig Ten3,8243,3533,166N/A3,8995,5703,130
Penn St.Big Ten2,3762,2762,064N/A2,0472,3763,118
RutgersBig Ten1,8741,7531,555N/A2,0652,1981,797
NorthwesternBig Ten1,2331,3201,115N/A1,4861,2271,019
Total4,0154,6983,455N/A4,0054,0773,839

Reaction Score
Oh no doubt. I have been a follower of Coach Plitzuweit for awhile and she does so much with so little. She turns players that were under recruited into some highly competitive players and she is a heck of a skills development coach. I loved working at her basketball camps when she was at South Dakota State.
Look for the biggest change to be on the defensive side: I expect MN to be dramatically improved on that end of the court.

Reaction Score
. . . . I loved working at her basketball camps when she was at South Dakota State.
Coach P coached for USD in Vermillion, not SDSU in Brookings. People at these schools make a big deal about distinguishing between them.

Reaction Score
The Terps won their first exhibition game 103-37. The three main story lines:

It's just one game but Riley Nelson may be the real deal. Score 23 points. She is also a great rebounder (7), defender (3 steals) and backup PG 4 (assists.)

Bri McMcDaniel is poised to make the freshman to sophomore jump. Scored 22 points and also had three steals.

Lavender Briggs may have been the 3rd best player yesterday over Shyanne Seller. Shy struggled with her shot but did have 7 assists and 6 rebounds.

The rebounding was extremely good in this game.

Summer Bostock did struggle a little with two airballs and got a shot stuffed (but a foul was called) but she is a really good rebounder.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Looks like Madison Greene was able to participate in OSU’s open practice today. Which, makes me happy and I hope she can stay healthy all season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like Madison Greene was able to participate in OSU’s open practice today. Which, makes me happy and I hope she can stay healthy all season.
As good as Sheldon and Taylor are, I love watching the focused frenzy that ensues when Greene and Harris are in the lineup.
Will also cross my fingers for her.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Marquette Beats Illinois in Milwaukee, 71-67

Forward Liza Karlen leads Warriors with 22, while guard Jordan King has 19. Lehigh transfer Frannie Hottinger had 11 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

Illini were led by NC State Transfer Camille Hobby's 18 pts and 7 rebounds and forward Kate Bostic's 14 points and 6 rebounds

Good win for Coach Meg Duffy and her crew.

Reaction Score
Marquette Beats Illinois in Milwaukee, 71-67

Forward Liza Karlen leads Warriors with 22, while guard Jordan King has 19. Lehigh transfer Frannie Hottinger had 11 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

Illini were led by NC State Transfer Camille Hobby's 18 pts and 7 rebounds and forward Kate Bostic's 14 points and 6 rebounds

Good win for Coach Meg Duffy and her crew.

Nice win for Marquette.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom