The Azzi Fudd Dilemma | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Azzi Fudd Dilemma

Reaction Score
When Azzi is ready to play she will come off the bench. Paige, KK, Ash will start the season. Jana is the Edwards replacement and the best big. Who is the next best player? Strong is better than Ice (IMHO) or Q,. Caroline and Patterson are big questions and are 13 & 14 for the beginning. The other new frosh are 11& 12 unless they come on strong defensively or outrageously good shooters. What a nice team if Azzi comes off the bench first if they need points and Aubrey comes in if they need more D or rebounding. Ice relieves Jana. Q will sub here and there.
Because of the injury history I can see Azzi and Aubrey coming off the bench well into the season. It depends on how well KK and Ash have improved. If they have--Azzi could come off the bench much longer.
A healthy Azzi starts!

Reaction Score
I remember before the catastrophe that was the Ohio game, that she struggled through most of the Baylor game. I remember being slightly alarmed when Geno talked how needed to find her shot/confidence. Not that's a bad a thing, but it was a little worrisome when she was one of the 3 players the team was relying on for scoring. Even when Paige has a bad night, it's quickly erased by the string of 20 pt games or the games she has saved the team in big moments. I don't think Azzi is a Paige, Juju, Hildago, Harmon, but she is a nice solid scorer.
I’m sure you didn’t mean to sound overly dismissive and that you’re trying to rein in excessive expectations for Azzi and that’s reasonable. But I don’t think it’s fair to criticize her play against Baylor and tOSU in the tournament.

We all saw that she was struggling to find her shot from the first game of her comeback from injury through the loss to tOSU. I suspect her legs were not as strong as before and this threw her shooting form off. I imagine Geno hoped she’d play through it, and it’s not like he had someone better to bring in anyway. And the fact is there were a few streaks that made coaches arrange defenses to key on her, which opened up Lou and Aaliyah. Even when she has an off night, she creates space for her teammates. It’s easy to forget that about her.

And then there was the Baylor game. She struggled in the first half and then outscored the entire Baylor team in the third. Aubrey also grabbed every rebound (or so it seemed) and that effectively put the game away. I hoped this meant she was all the way back, but that was not the case.

If she’s back this fall, the Paige & Azzi show can finally get going. All the pieces will fall into place around those two, and a lot of new faces will get to play next to an all time great pair. That’d be something they’ll remember forever. Either it happens or it doesn’t. For her sake, and Paige’s sake, and the rest of the team, I hope it does.

Reaction Score
Notice I said that it's hard to forget her bad games, because she's barely played at all, and unfortunately for her, her bad games are recent or have come in big games where she was needed as a scorer.

It is doesn't help that some are saying that she's a "generational talent" but she needs the likes of Bueckers to help her get there?!! I remember before the catastrophe that was the Ohio game, that she struggled through most of the Baylor game. I remember being slightly alarmed when Geno talked how needed to find her shot/confidence. Not that's a bad a thing, but it was a little worrisome when she was one of the 3 players the team was relying on for scoring. Even when Paige has a bad night, it's quickly erased by the string of 20 pt games or the games she has saved the team in big moments. I don't think Azzi is a Paige, Juju, Hildago, Harmon, but she is a nice solid scorer.
I will be happily rooting for if she has a breakout year, but I am also happy that the team can turn to other solid players if she needs more time or struggles to find that confidence. Skill is only part of the game, and I wish the best for her because I can only imagine how awful it must be not to play a single full season in 3 years.
1--- The point is that it shouldn't be hard to forget was that she was hurt. She was hurt. How is it that you can't remember what she did vs Texas, NC State, Duke, and Iowa that same year? How about her frosh year the Round of 32 - the tight game UCONN won in which she was led the team in scoring in which UCONN would have probably lost otherwise?

2--- In regard to Geno - ofc he is always going to be concerned. And if that is part of your DNA- fine. But to hopefully cheer you up :) - please keep in mind that there has probably been only two players in the History of the Program that Geno has not criticized- Maya - and Maya :). Anyhow, you've focused on the bad what Geno said but here is what he said when she was healthy- 1sr YT below.

And the 2nd YT below notice what Geno said "If God ever gave anybody ever a better shooting stroke in the world, I don't know who it is and so when I say every time you touch it, shoot it. . . they all know it’s going in the moment it leaves her hands . . ." Then he goes on to compare both Paige and Azzi to DT and Sue stating they were the same way.

The 3rd one he makes a comment "she’s like a machine, man."

And the 4th one about at #.25 the announcer says "It's give the ball to Azzi Fudd and get out of the way time." The point about this game is that it was a tight game in which it would be awful to get upset - the freshman leading the team vs more experienced players like Cwill, Evina, and Dorka - and at the time Edwards still wasn’t the a/a.

We shouldn't just remember only the bad games-- especially when referencing those games in which she was clearly playing hurt.

.. Anyhow, you've focused on the bad what Geno said but here is what he said when she was healthy- 1sr YT.

And the 2nd YT notice what Geno said "If God ever gave anybody ever a better shooting stroke in the world, I don't know who it is and so when I say every time you touch it, shoot it. . . they all know it’s going in the moment it leaves her hands . . ." Then he goes on to compare both Paige and Azzi to DT and Sue stating they were the same way.

And the 4th one about at #.25 the announcer says "It's give the ball to Azzi Fudd and get out of the way time." The point about this game is that it was a tight game in which it would be awful to get upset - the freshman leading the team vs more experienced players like Cwill, Evina, and Dorka - and at the time Edwards still wasn’t the a/a.

We shouldn't just remember only the bad games-- especially when referencing those games in which she was clearly playing hurt.

UConn vs Tennessee: Geno Auriemma on Azzi Fudd's outstanding 25-point outing | UConn Post Game | SNY

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And the 4th one about at #.25 the announcer says "It's give the ball to Azzi Fudd and get out of the way time."
That game against Marquette is really worth watching again. It’s hard fought and Marquette puts up quite a fight through 3 1/2 quarters. Then, with ~5 mins left Geno calls a timeout and Evina says “They’re gassed,” and then takes over with Azzi’s help. Nika has a few great plays too. But Azzi just takes the game away from Marquette. Or, as my wife observed, “It’s like Azzi and Evina just stepped on their necks.”

A similar game the previous season against Tennessee goes roughly the same way. A struggle initially and then Nika Christyn and Evina take over the 3rd quarter and Azzi just puts Tennessee away.

Azzi has this way of enabling the players around her to do great things. She’s the ever present threat that paralyzes opponents and unleashes her teammates. I hope to see that Azzi again this season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Look, with any player you can cherry pick their good games and their bad games.

The question still exists - can Azzi stay healthy? Her track record on staying healthy is not good. We all know it. And nobody, including Geno knows if she can.

I hope she can stay healthy. I hope she has a season to remember.

Reaction Score
I’m sure you didn’t mean to sound overly dismissive and that you’re trying to rein in excessive expectations for Azzi and that’s reasonable. But I don’t think it’s fair to criticize her play against Baylor and tOSU in the tournament.

We all saw that she was struggling to find her shot from the first game of her comeback from injury through the loss to tOSU. I suspect her legs were not as strong as before and this threw her shooting form off. I imagine Geno hoped she’d play through it, and it’s not like he had someone better to bring in anyway. And the fact is there were a few streaks that made coaches arrange defenses to key on her, which opened up Lou and Aaliyah. Even when she has an off night, she creates space for her teammates. It’s easy to forget that about her.

And then there was the Baylor game. She struggled in the first half and then outscored the entire Baylor team in the third. Aubrey also grabbed every rebound (or so it seemed) and that effectively put the game away. I hoped this meant she was all the way back, but that was not the case.

If she’s back this fall, the Paige & Azzi show can finally get going. All the pieces will fall into place around those two, and a lot of new faces will get to play next to an all time great pair. That’d be something they’ll remember forever. Either it happens or it doesn’t. For her sake, and Paige’s sake, and the rest of the team, I hope it does.
Yes, I have seen Azzi's flashes of greatness in games, but unfortunately (no fault of her own) she hasn't been able to maintain that. I'll admit that I'm not really a Azzi fan so maybe that's why her bad games have stood it out more? On the other hand, (weirdly) I am more confident in Aubrey's immediate impact on return and she's in and out of injuries too. As for Azzi, I'll jump off my couch when I see her knock down shots against a South Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame or another defense minded team.

Reaction Score
Azzi is one season away from being one of the biggest “what if?s” in Women’s college hoops history.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azzi is one season away from being one of the biggest “what if?s” in Women’s college hoops history.
Azzi is also one season away from being one of the biggest comeback stories in the history of WBB. As Eric Idle would remind us, “Always look on the bright side of life.” :)

Reaction Score
A healthy Azzi starts!
Maybe, but then another "starter" will need to sit. One thing for sure, there will be players sitting (assuming all are healthy) that should be starting. Pick any of the 9 non-starters on the bench at random and that kid could start.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but then another "starter" will need to sit. One thing for sure, there will be players sitting (assuming all are healthy) that should be starting. Pick any of the 9 non-starters on the bench at random and that kid could start.
You make it sound like a bad thing if a "starter" player is sitting because Azzi is starting. If Azzi starts, nobody knows how many minutes she gets out there expect the coaching staff and Azzi. If she comes off the bench, like any player off the bench, our 2nd unit vs an exhausted opposing team's 1st unit or random players of the 2nd unit, should outperform and help get the win.

Reaction Score
A healthy Azzi starts!
I agree completely. Once Azzi is back, she starts. It may not be in November or even December. But I can't see her sitting for long. It will be like Paige's sophomore year. When she came back, Geno kept her out of the starting lineup for a little while. But not for long. With talent like these two have, it's just too hard to keep them off the floor.

My prediction is that November's starters are probably Paige KK Ash Ice and Jana. But Sarah Kaitlyn and Allie are likely to get more and more minutes until finally Sarah takes Ice's place in the starting lineup, and Kaitlyn takes KK's place.

But as soon as Azzi is back up to speed, the starters have to be Paige Azzi and three other kids. Probably Jana Kaitlyn and Sarah, though it will be difficult to keep Ash on the bench.

Reaction Score
Lots of "What Ifs" at this time of year, especially given the history of injuries on this team. But IF every team member is 100% healthy at the beginning of the season, I believe the starters will be Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Kaitlyn and Jana (providing everything that has been said about her is true). This means that KK and Ash, both eventual starters last season will be on the bench as well as Sarah, Aubrey, Ice, Q, Allie, Ayanna, and Morgan. However, if Sarah is as good as expected, she could move into the starting lineup replacing anyone except Paige. I am so anxious for the season to begin.

Reaction Score
You make it sound like a bad thing if a "starter" player is sitting because Azzi is starting. If Azzi starts, nobody knows how many minutes she gets out there expect the coaching staff and Azzi. If she comes off the bench, like any player off the bench, our 2nd unit vs an exhausted opposing team's 1st unit or random players of the 2nd unit, should outperform and help get the win.
No, I didn't mean it that way. The point I was trying to make was that your starting 5 could be Paige and any 4 of the other 13 players.

Another way to look at it (now that Nika has moved on) who should not start? It's been a long time since that last kid on the bench was pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
1--- The point is that it shouldn't be hard to forget was that she was hurt. She was hurt. How is it that you can't remember what she did vs Texas, NC State, Duke, and Iowa that same year? How about her frosh year the Round of 32 - the tight game UCONN won in which she was led the team in scoring in which UCONN would have probably lost otherwise?

2--- In regard to Geno - ofc he is always going to be concerned. And if that is part of your DNA- fine. But to hopefully cheer you up :) - please keep in mind that there has probably been only two players in the History of the Program that Geno has not criticized- Maya - and Maya :). Anyhow, you've focused on the bad what Geno said but here is what he said when she was healthy- 1sr YT below.

And the 2nd YT below notice what Geno said "If God ever gave anybody ever a better shooting stroke in the world, I don't know who it is and so when I say every time you touch it, shoot it. . . they all know it’s going in the moment it leaves her hands . . ." Then he goes on to compare both Paige and Azzi to DT and Sue stating they were the same way.

.. Anyhow, you've focused on the bad what Geno said but here is what he said when she was healthy- 1sr YT.

And the 2nd YT notice what Geno said "If God ever gave anybody ever a better shooting stroke in the world, I don't know who it is and so when I say every time you touch it, shoot it. . . they all know it’s going in the moment it leaves her hands . . ." Then he goes on to compare both Paige and Azzi to DT and Sue stating they were the same way.

UConn vs Tennessee: Geno Auriemma on Azzi Fudd's outstanding 25-point outing | UConn Post Game | SNY

IMO the only games Azzi has played where she was healthy were the first 6 of her second season. Those were not good games, they were great games, one after the other. I remember her PER up until getting injured that year was over 30. She ended the season in the low 20's, which if you do the math means she was probably around 15 after the first injury to bring her season average down that much.

I think a common mistake is assuming that if you are good enough to play, you are healthy. Azzi was clearly not healthy the remainder of her second year, despite her still playing a number of games.

As for her first year, remember her in a boot in the 3pt shooting contest. She had foot problems all season, had some defensive issues as a result, and was pretty much reduced to a spot up 3pt shooter. Her reputation was far more than that, namely a scorer who could take in inside and who had a terrific mid range jumper where she could stop on a dime and rise up smoothly for an easy shot. If you remember we didn't see much of that part of her game her first year.,

So why was she playing if she wasn't close to 100%? Because she was a great 3pt shooter that was still a plus on the court despite not being fully healthy. Then after a summer to recover, she started her sophomore season like gangbusters against top competition. If you look at those games what do you see? Scoring inside, outside, all over, namely a 3 level scorer and not just the spot up 3pt shooter that was the norm her first year, and after her injury against Notre Dame. Being fully healthy showed in both the stats and with the eye test.

If you think Azzi has been playing at less than 100% for all but the first 6 games of her second season as I do, then there is a hope and expectation that is her true norm "if" healthy is All American level, which she showed for her only healthy stretch of 6 games. Having said that, her ability to be completely healthy is certainly a major concern and issue, but her ability to play at a very very high level if healthy IMO has already been demonstrated during that healthy 6 game stretch.

Reaction Score
Look, with any player you can cherry pick their good games and their bad games.

The question still exists - can Azzi stay healthy? Her track record on staying healthy is not good. We all know it. And nobody, including Geno knows if she can.

I hope she can stay healthy. I hope she has a season to remember.
Couldn't agree with you more. Saved me some typing.

Reaction Score
No, I didn't mean it that way. The point I was trying to make was that your starting 5 could be Paige and any 4 of the other 13 players.

Another way to look at it (now that Nika has moved on) who should not start? It's been a long time since that last kid on the bench was pretty darn good.
Fair point. I just misunderstood you.

sun

Reaction Score
I suspect that none of freshmen & players returning from injury will meet expections right off the bat. They're going to be a lot like a can of mushrooms with lots of bits & pieces of success & will need time to grow & gel. Being a fairly polished defender, I'd expect Azzi to be given a longer leash, especially during the Big East portion of the schedule as a way for her to test the waters & develop team chemistry with Paige & Chen. The same goes for Carol. These players can't just expect to play in games against elite teams & take a lot of time to heat up their shooting. I think that Geno will expect the best players to attack & score with the higher efficiency of a championship caliber team. I fully expect Azzi to be a major part of the mix when March rolls around or she'll be coming in off the bench. I think that most fans want Azzi to be abke to be a starter with Paige & to be the assassin that she was meant to be. In a recent interview she basically said that she'll do her talking on the court this year & wouldn't make predictions about how much success she hopes the team to have this year.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
for azzi, and carol and aubrey, i think geno might factor in that time may be running out for them to 'prove' they still have pro prospects. in light of their injuries. it's an issue that GMs are gonna be considering.

i feel that geno wants them to succeed after uconn as much as anything, and will prioritize giving them a chance to enhance their status in the draft.

Reaction Score
for azzi, and carol and aubrey, i think geno might factor in that time may be running out for them to 'prove' they still have pro prospects. in light of their injuries. it's an issue that GMs are gonna be considering.

i feel that geno wants them to succeed after uconn as much as anything, and will prioritize giving them a chance to enhance their status in the draft.
In each of these three's cases, I think success will be measured in units far greater than whether they play pro ball or not. They all have the personalities and drive to be successful in whatever they choose. Pro ball is a short-term occupation considering a lifespan, and they each have a lot more to offer! Pro ball is a nice cap on a basketball career, not the end of a life's journey.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I dunno. Geno has said repeatedly that another championship means very little to him but he hates the idea of young women leaving UConn without one, and there has been a good deal of that lately. So he may be a little more ruthless in his decision making about who is out there on the floor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Fans of other college teams can appreciate players on other teams, particularly when that player interacts with other great players in situations like U.S.A. National Teams. I recall the very good U.S.A. U-19 team that won gold in Europe. While Caitlin Clark was the oldest person on that team (and won MVP of the tourney), the rest of that team included Te-Hina Pao Pao, Diamond Johnson, Peyton Verhulst and two future rivals who meshed wonderfully: Sonia Citron and Azzi Fudd. Both were willing to play a bit out of position (Citron at the 4, Azzi to the 3) from time to time, but they did so for the team. Ball movement, tough defense, good shooting.

Would love to see Azzi Fudd back on the floor for the Huskies, preferably in time to play the Irish -- and Ms. Citron -- in December. (These Irish eyes would smile! :D) Best of luck to her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom