The Athletiic: Strangest College Coaches Hirings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletiic: Strangest College Coaches Hirings

Reaction Score
No. His first year he took a bowl team to a 5-7 record. It wasn't GDL, it was him. That the next two hires were just as bad shouldn't let him off the hook. He took millions of dollars and gave us nothing back.

Yes. It was him. Because he hired a terrible OC. He is 100% responsible. But sometimes coaches stink because they can't coach. Sometimes they stink because they make hiring mistakes. Sometimes they stink because they can't recruit. I thought that PP made one fatally bad decision and wouldn't course correct. It is on him, but those teams were not the train wrecks that followed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni is still coaching in the NFL, so he can't completely suck. Someone out there respects his abilities.

Of all the recent UConn Head Coaches, the one with the most puzzling post-UConn career is TJ Weist. He went 3-5 as UConn's interim HC in 2013, and then didn't get a coordinator job again for 3 years. In 2016, he did such a good job as co-OC at USF that his head coach got the Oregon HC job. Weist coached the bowl game, beating South Carolina, and never get a coordinator or HC job again. He is the Baltimore Ravens ST coach, which is a solid job, but I can't figure out why no one even gave him a chance as HC.

Reaction Score
My impression of Pasqualoni was he was very knowledgeable football guy but past his sell by date as a college coach. He thought guys could/would do things like stay in shape like NFL players do. He didn’t relate to players very well. And he refused to dump DeLeon when it was clear he couldn’t get things done.

I agree on Weist. Seems odd that he never landed a coordinator job. I figured he would likely end up a head coach somewhere within a couple of years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But sometimes coaches stink because they can't coach. Sometimes they stink because they make hiring mistakes. Sometimes they stink because they can't recruit. I thought that PP made one fatally bad decision and wouldn't course correct. It is on him, but those teams were not the train wrecks that followed.
P stunk because his heart wasn't in it. And it was a train wreck given a good team, losing all those winnable games, stopping the program in it's tracks. He set the tone for what followed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom