The Athletic - WNBA anonymous draft scout | The Boneyard

The Athletic - WNBA anonymous draft scout

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Anonymous WNBA Draft scout: 3 GMs assess Naz Hillmon, Emily Engstler, Rhyne Howard and more

Olivia Nelson-Ododa | 6-5 post | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 9.2 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.5 APG, 60% FG
“I really like her. Another 6-5 player that still hasn’t developed her overall body strength. I think she’s got some nice skills, and right now she plays that pinch-post area for them. She may be the best passing big in the draft in that she can pass from the high post, from the pinch-post. She has those long arms to rebound. She might have the biggest wingspan in the draft. I think she has a lot of potential if she gets stronger.” (more in article)

Evina Westbrook | 6-0 guard/wing | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 9 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 3.1 APG, 43% FG, 31% 3PT FG
“Westbrook is a utility guard. She can play almost every position, but she doesn’t do anything great. I don’t know that she’ll be picked in the first round.”
“It’s surprising that she’s no longer starting, that she’s coming off the bench. She has become a utility player for them, and I don’t think that has helped her stock.”
(I disagree that her coming off the bench hurt her, but I'm not a scout, so ...)

Christyn Williams | 5-11 guard | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 14.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 45% FG, 34% 3PT FG
“Christyn is a solid two-guard in our league who can spread the floor and can play in the pick-and-roll. She can’t really play the one, and she’s can’t really play the three, so she’s a straight two. But she has played at a high level in high school and a very high level in college. I don’t think there’s anybody who a WNBA talent evaluator can say is the next best after Rhyne.”
(more in article)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anonymous WNBA Draft scout: 3 GMs assess Naz Hillmon, Emily Engstler, Rhyne Howard and more

Olivia Nelson-Ododa | 6-5 post | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 9.2 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.5 APG, 60% FG
“I really like her. Another 6-5 player that still hasn’t developed her overall body strength. I think she’s got some nice skills, and right now she plays that pinch-post area for them. She may be the best passing big in the draft in that she can pass from the high post, from the pinch-post. She has those long arms to rebound. She might have the biggest wingspan in the draft. I think she has a lot of potential if she gets stronger.” (more in article)

Evina Westbrook | 6-0 guard/wing | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 9 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 3.1 APG, 43% FG, 31% 3PT FG
“Westbrook is a utility guard. She can play almost every position, but she doesn’t do anything great. I don’t know that she’ll be picked in the first round.”
“It’s surprising that she’s no longer starting, that she’s coming off the bench. She has become a utility player for them, and I don’t think that has helped her stock.”
(I disagree that her coming off the bench hurt her, but I'm not a scout, so ...)

Christyn Williams | 5-11 guard | UConn - 2021-22 stats: 14.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 45% FG, 34% 3PT FG
“Christyn is a solid two-guard in our league who can spread the floor and can play in the pick-and-roll. She can’t really play the one, and she’s can’t really play the three, so she’s a straight two. But she has played at a high level in high school and a very high level in college. I don’t think there’s anybody who a WNBA talent evaluator can say is the next best after Rhyne.”
(more in article)
BRS24 - You got our attention with this post. You whet my curiosity. I wanted to read more. Then you pulled the rug out from under us by giving us a link to an article behind a paywall. How cruel. :(

Reaction Score
This Vegas gamblingsite.com has:
  • #13. Minnesota Lynx: Evina Westbrook, G, UConn
  • #14. Atlanta Dream: Christyn Williams, G, UConn
  • #16. Los Angeles Sparks: Olivia Nelson-Ododa, C, UConn
Interesting is SC has only 2, Destanni Henderson as #17, and Victaria Saxton as #31. While Stanford has only one ,Lexie Hull #20, Lacie Hull is not in the list..

Reaction Score
BRS24 - You got our attention with this post. You whet my curiosity. I wanted to read more. Then you pulled the rug out from under us by giving us a link to an article behind a paywall. How cruel. :(
I would recommend that you subscribe. The Athletic has IMO the best all around sports content and some of the best sports journalists out there.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Crud. I keep forgetting!!! I signed up because i was tired of the $%^&* paywall.

ESPN just released an updated mock draft:

1st round;
12. Connecticut Sun: Christyn Williams - UConn | guard | 5-foot-11 | senior

Williams struggled against South Carolina's defense in the national championship game -- going 1-of-7 from the field for two points -- but she averaged 14.2 PPG this season and might find her best days ahead as a professional.

Second round
13. Minnesota Lynx: Evina Westbrook, G, UConn

15. Atlanta Dream: Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F, UConn

Reaction Score
Have the UConn girls actually decared for the draft? I have seen nothing as far as an announcement or updated wnba official listing of draft candidates.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Just Women's Sports - a look at top 50 prospects. Maybe in order?

CHRISTYN WILLIAMS, G, UCONN - Williams has shown flashes of how explosive and dynamic she can be offensively, but she’s also had a tendency to be streaky. The 5-11 guard is averaging 14.9 points on 46.7 percent shooting from the field as a senior, and she’s improved her 3-point shooting to 37.1 percent late in the season. When Williams is knocking down shots, she can have a significant impact on games. With her speed, she’s difficult to stop when getting to the rim in the open court and is tenacious on defense. Williams’ WNBA future will come down to whether a team thinks it can develop her into a more consistent producer.

EVINA WESTBROOK, G, UCONN - Westbook has good size at the guard spot and a well-rounded skill set that should make her a versatile option at the next level. Having played five collegiate seasons between Tennessee and UConn, including a redshirt year, Westbrook is one of the older and more veteran guards in the draft pool. She has been consistent for the Huskies this season, averaging 9.4 points, 3.6 assists and 3.9 rebounds per game. Her length, size, ability to facilitate and overall IQ should be appealing to any franchise looking for depth at the guard spot.

OLIVIA NELSON-ODODA, F, UCONN - Nelson-Ododa has the length and athleticism to thrive at the forward spot in the WNBA. She can be effective in the pick-and-roll, create separation to score at the rim and run the floor well for a 6-5 forward. Defensively, she is disruptive with her length and rim protection in the lane, but she will need to get stronger to compete against WNBA bigs. Overall, Nelson-Ododa has her niche in the paint, which can be extremely valuable at the next level.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
are they going. to be in the draft?
The deadline to commit to the draft has passed so I guess neither of the three did not commit. If one of them did not commit I am guessing that there would be a half dozen threads about it here on the BY before now.

Reaction Score
Crud. I keep forgetting!!! I signed up because i was tired of the $%^&* paywall.

ESPN just released an updated mock draft:

1st round;
12. Connecticut Sun: Christyn Williams - UConn | guard | 5-foot-11 | senior

Williams struggled against South Carolina's defense in the national championship game -- going 1-of-7 from the field for two points -- but she averaged 14.2 PPG this season and might find her best days ahead as a professional.

Second round
13. Minnesota Lynx: Evina Westbrook, G, UConn

15. Atlanta Dream: Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F, UConn
Nice but not a lot to get excited about. Any pick below the first 5-6 in most drafts is basically just the teams announcing who they're giving tryouts to. Most just hope to make a team as a backup and get a season or two of salaries of about 60K-70K.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What's this? A professional evaluator likes Olivia? How can that be? Haven't they read The Boneyard?
Hi Gus. Apparently not. When I read that, I almost went Vince Lombardi........”what the hell is going on out here?” :eek:

Reaction Score
All 3 will be drafted. Don’t think any of them will be starters. When you see “a player will be good IF……", they need a team that is willing to develop a player. Early spots go to players that can contribute immediately.

How many draft rounds are there in the WNBA?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
3, not sure why. Few 2nd rounders make a roster, 3rd round picks are almost impossible odds to make a cut.
But there are exceptions. For the Connecticut Sun, Dijonae Carrington was drafted in Round 2 (as I recall), and Kaila Charles in Round 3. They both made the team and contributed significantly.

A long time ago, Charde Houston was drafted in Round 3 and was Rookie of the Year.

Recently, Crystal Dangerfield was drafted in Round 2 and was also Rookie of the Year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
But there are exceptions. For the Connecticut Sun, Dijonae Carrington was drafted in Round 2 (as I recall), and Kaila Charles in Round 3. They both made the team and contributed significantly.

A long time ago, Charde Houston was drafted in Round 3 and was Rookie of the Year.

Recently, Crystal Dangerfield was drafted in Round 2 and was also Rookie of the Year.
There are almost always exceptions to a rule, trend, etc. But for the overwhelming majority of cases, if you aren't a first round pick you won't be sticking in the league as a rookie (and some first rounders don't even make it).

Carnac

Reaction Score
3, not sure why. Few 2nd rounders make a roster, 3rd round picks are almost impossible odds to make a cut.
True. Most 1st rounders make the cut. Maybe 4-5 2nd rounders. Rarely do 3rd rounders. Soniya Chong was a 3rd round pick of the Dallas Wings in 2017. Their talent and skill level is usually not good enough to make the cut.

There are usually several veteran players in camp that are signed to a training camp contract. Second and third round draftees compete with them for any vacant roster spots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This Vegas gamblingsite.com has:
  • #13. Minnesota Lynx: Evina Westbrook, G, UConn
  • #14. Atlanta Dream: Christyn Williams, G, UConn
  • #16. Los Angeles Sparks: Olivia Nelson-Ododa, C, UConn
Interesting is SC has only 2, Destanni Henderson as #17, and Victaria Saxton as #31. While Stanford has only one ,Lexie Hull #20, Lacie Hull is not in the list..

Vegas odds/projection not surprising to me, aside from Liv going last of our seniors. I think she gets picked ahead of Evina & perhaps even Christyn, although less likely. NC game might have cost C 1st round billing, unfortunately.

Aside from recency bias, I can’t see Destanni Henderson going ahead of CW or ONO & maybe not EW, either. She’s small for a WNBA PG & is not a great shooter nor facilitator.

Lacie Hull is not W caliber but Lexie would be a wise 2R or 3R investment. Her versatility, BBIQ, sheer competitiveness, & team approach would be end-of-bench assets for any team IMHO.

Reaction Score
I think Lexie Hull should be a 1st rounder. She has demonstrated a commitment to excellence and that's important. There isn't a pound of fat on that girl and it's because she works hard at it. She's got a great engine and a little size. She probably continues to improve and she's a solid defender. Overall, I agree with most assessments on our players but probably would draft Liv a little higher. Some analysts have Rae Burrell in the top 7. I don't get that. These players can go to Europe to play and maybe they don't even want to play more than 5-7 years anyway. It's tough on the body. There is more money in coaching a top level program in many instances and there are always camps and public speaking and all sorts of endorsements and corporate gigs. The overall money is getting better fast and maybe a CW is a WNBA bench pro for a while but over time she may well be a starter as can the others over time. If they don't they still have lots of career opportunities in this growing sport. They have a lot of exposure and the Uconn alumni network. Media opportunities...etc.

Reaction Score
I think Rae Burrell is tailor-made for the W. Long, smooth, athletic SG with beautiful stroke. Should be an effective catch-and-shoot floor spacer from jump, assuming she stays healthy with sufficient drive for pro game.

Reaction Score
True. Most 1st rounders make the cut. Maybe 4-5 2nd rounders. Rarely do 3rd rounders. Soniya Chong was a 3rd round pick of the Dallas Wings in 2017. Their talent and skill level is usually not good enough to make the cut.

There are usually several veteran players in camp that are signed to a training camp contract. Second and third round draftees compete with them for any vacant roster spots.

Play same season they were drafted: 90% of 1st Rounders versus 60% of 2nd Rounders.

YEAR DRAFTED
1649320765787.png

Players in the W are: 60% 1st Round Picks and 20% 2nd Round Picks.

ACTIVE PLAYERS
1649320789760.png

Reaction Score
Honestly, I really didn't see any of the three going in the first round. Hope I'm wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom