The Athletic will be featuring us shortly in their Realignment series... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletic will be featuring us shortly in their Realignment series...

Reaction Score
This brings back memories of the glory days of UConn football. If only realignment had happened back then, when we were the loudest stadium with students who packed the Rent. We even traveled well. Can we rekindle it, even without the reward of a bowl game? We have no choice. We must. Starting this fall.

https://twitter.com/CoachCEdsall/status/1099508527528333314?s=20

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s just more of the same. You can’t do it, you shouldn’t try. Meanwhile, we’ve already done it before. It’s really annoying and frankly, there is always an answer to this kind of problem. If Edsall can’t do it, hire someone who can. In college football, it is all about coaching and recruiting. This is on the new President to figure out. Either go for it or shut it down. We shall see what he’s all about.

Reaction Score
This brings back memories of the glory days of UConn football. If only realignment had happened back then, when we were the loudest stadium with students who packed the Rent. We even traveled well. Can we rekindle it, even without the reward of a bowl game? We have no choice. We must. Starting this fall.

https://twitter.com/CoachCEdsall/status/1099508527528333314?s=20

One can say we’ve traveled eons in perception from those “glory days”: AAC player survey: The best and worst on gameday (granted the survey was taken AFTER we announced we were leaving).

Which team has the best gameday atmosphere?
Team - Pct.
Central Florida (Spectrum Stadium) - 46
Cincinnati (Nippert Stadium) - 27
Houston (TDECU Stadium) - 19
Memphis (Liberty Bowl) - 4
No response - 4

Comments:
• "UCF. It’s always jumping.”
• “Cincinnati. The stands are real low to the field. When you’re warming up you can hear them boo and say, ‘We don’t like you.’”
• “Cincinnati. Their stadium is crazy. We played them on a Thursday night, it was a Black Out game and their students were crazy.”
• “Houston. It’s probably the loudest and rowdiest.”

Which stadium has the worst gameday atmosphere?

It’s safe to say opposing players will not miss UConn, citing weather and mostly empty stadium (the 20,924 attendance was fourth-worst in the AAC last season) as the reason for the worst game day experience.

Team - Pct.
UConn (Rentschler Field) - 54
Tulsa (H.A. Chapman Stadium) - 19
Tulane (Yulman Stadium) - 12
SMU (Gerald J. Ford Stadium) - 7
East Carolina (Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium) - 4
Temple (Lincoln Financial Field) - 4

Comments:
• “UConn. It’s just dry.”
• “SMU. It’s so dead. The walk to the field — you have to walk down three flights of stairs and then come up the same tunnel. I hated it.”
• “Temple. Every time I go it’s just really muggy and foggy. It might just be the weather, but it’s not the most exciting atmosphere.”

What is the toughest venue to play on the road?

This may come as a surprise, as players narrowly picked Houston’s TDECU Stadium over UCF and Spectrum Field. Oddly, UConn received one vote simply because it’s “so depressing.”

Team - Pct.
Houston (TDECU Stadium) - 31
UCF (Spectrum Field) - 26
Cincinnati (Nippert Stadium) - 18
Navy (Navy Corps Memorial Stadium) - 11
Connecticut (Rentschler Field) - 7

Comments:
• “Houston is a pretty tough place to play.”
• “UCF. That place is just crazy.”
• “Cincinnati. It’s just so damn cold.”
• “Cincinnati is a hostile environment.”
• “Houston. It’s just so far away.”
• “UConn … because lowkey it’s depressing.”
• “Houston. We are rivals and I feel like more people show up.”
• “Cincinnati, especially at night.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One can say we’ve traveled eons in perception from those “glory days”: AAC player survey: The best and worst on gameday (granted the survey was taken AFTER we announced we were leaving).

Which team has the best gameday atmosphere?
Team - Pct.
Central Florida (Spectrum Stadium) - 46
Cincinnati (Nippert Stadium) - 27
Houston (TDECU Stadium) - 19
Memphis (Liberty Bowl) - 4
No response - 4

Comments:
• "UCF. It’s always jumping.”
• “Cincinnati. The stands are real low to the field. When you’re warming up you can hear them boo and say, ‘We don’t like you.’”
• “Cincinnati. Their stadium is crazy. We played them on a Thursday night, it was a Black Out game and their students were crazy.”
• “Houston. It’s probably the loudest and rowdiest.”

Which stadium has the worst gameday atmosphere?

It’s safe to say opposing players will not miss UConn, citing weather and mostly empty stadium (the 20,924 attendance was fourth-worst in the AAC last season) as the reason for the worst game day experience.

Team - Pct.
UConn (Rentschler Field) - 54
Tulsa (H.A. Chapman Stadium) - 19
Tulane (Yulman Stadium) - 12
SMU (Gerald J. Ford Stadium) - 7
East Carolina (Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium) - 4
Temple (Lincoln Financial Field) - 4

Comments:
• “UConn. It’s just dry.”
• “SMU. It’s so dead. The walk to the field — you have to walk down three flights of stairs and then come up the same tunnel. I hated it.”
• “Temple. Every time I go it’s just really muggy and foggy. It might just be the weather, but it’s not the most exciting atmosphere.”

What is the toughest venue to play on the road?

This may come as a surprise, as players narrowly picked Houston’s TDECU Stadium over UCF and Spectrum Field. Oddly, UConn received one vote simply because it’s “so depressing.”

Team - Pct.
Houston (TDECU Stadium) - 31
UCF (Spectrum Field) - 26
Cincinnati (Nippert Stadium) - 18
Navy (Navy Corps Memorial Stadium) - 11
Connecticut (Rentschler Field) - 7

Comments:
• “Houston is a pretty tough place to play.”
• “UCF. That place is just crazy.”
• “Cincinnati. It’s just so damn cold.”
• “Cincinnati is a hostile environment.”
• “Houston. It’s just so far away.”
• “UConn … because lowkey it’s depressing.”
• “Houston. We are rivals and I feel like more people show up.”
• “Cincinnati, especially at night.”
Um...ouch?

Reaction Score
Of course it’s depressing. The home team is getting spanked by 50 points. I find it pretty depressing too and I choose to be there. We won’t get into the fact that we are playing CUSA opponents that our fans wouldn’t want to see if we were 7-0 going into the game.

I saw FSU in a half empty stadium getting beaten like a drum, it was a very similar environment. People were sunbathing and reading books in the stands.

Reaction Score
Of course it’s depressing. The home team is getting spanked by 50 points.

I saw FSU in a half empty stadium getting beaten like a drum, it was a very similar environment. People were sunbathing and reading books in the stands.

I can't speak for you, but I find the prospect of watching women in Florida sunbathing anything but depressing. Particularly once the game was for all intents and purposes over.

Reaction Score
I really think if Navy doesn't turn it around, they will revisit Independence.
Join the AAC and you are cursed, maybe not right away but it will happen. Maybe that triple option needs a little tweeking.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for you, but I find the prospect of watching women in Florida sunbathing anything but depressing. Particularly once the game was for all intents and purposes over.

Ha. They were mostly old people. Like most places, the students leave if a loss is brewing.

Reaction Score
>>“Football is just not as big of a deal in the Northeast; never has been, never will,” a former Boston College administrator told The Athletic. “I saw it at BC, man. I lived it. We had Matt Ryan, we were No. 2 in the country, we were playing Florida State. The Red Sox are winning the World Series, the Patriots are playing for a Super Bowl and we’re on the fifth page of the sports page.

“And that’s when everything was cranking the right way.”<<

Ehh that's not really it just nicer for him to say that than "Boston College isn't a big deal in the Northeast never has been, never will."

If UConn football ever reached that level of success it would be a big deal

Reaction Score
Ha. They were mostly old people. Like most places, the students leave if a loss is brewing.

This. It's sort of a myth that people just stick around when their team is getting smashed, or continue to show up when the team isn't good. It may have been like that once, but today it is the exception, not the rule.

Reaction Score
It’s situational.

I went to Cincinnati when Dantonio was the coach. They beat us real good. But they only drew low 20s. And the atmosphere was stale. There was virtually no tailgating. The immediate restaurant & retail was spare. And it didn’t feel like many students were there. Their Band sucked - a big one for me.

At the same time, Edsall was rising. Rentschler was a fun experience & definitely 36-38,000 regular. Great and improving tailgate. Far better concession. And far better halftime & pregame.

Then I saw Dantonio sneak out a side door.

Reaction Score
I’m as big of a UConn fan as there is...but if im
not looking at a future NFL career and Yale or Harvard is offering me a full ride; that’s really hard to pass up, man.
Yale &Harvard allegedly can’t offer football scholarships.

Reaction Score
Yale &Harvard allegedly can’t offer football scholarships.
Naive. Football scholarships are not the only means to entice athletes. How did Yale win an NCAA championship in hockey if they could not offer 40 scholarships like other schools (20 men + 20 women)? Think about that for a bit.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really think if Navy doesn't turn it around, they will revisit Independence.
Yeah, like in the next 12 months....they already have their own tv deal and they dont participate in any other AAC sports....so um - what's the point aside from bowl access - which frankly remains modest when you take a second look.

If UConn cranks out a fun schedule over the next 12 months with some extra buzz, look for Navy to resign.

I wonder if Aresco is clued in about this possibility. Navy's exit would be yet another reason not to bother replacing UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Naive. Football scholarships are not the only means to entice athletes. How did Yale win an NCAA championship in hockey if they could not offer 40 scholarships like other schools (20 men + 20 women)? Think about that for a bit.

Lol if you go for free based on need or athletics I’m pretty sure anyone smart enough for Yale gets the tab is zero.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, like in the next 12 months....they already have their own tv deal and they dont participate in any other AAC sports....so um - what's the point aside from bowl access - which frankly remains modest when you take a second look.

If UConn cranks out a fun schedule over the next 12 months with some extra buzz, look for Navy to resign.

I wonder if Aresco is clued in about this possibility. Navy's exit would be yet another reason not to bother replacing UConn.

If Navy keeps losing they will bail. Just like Army and CUSA. Gladchuk probably (not mad) because they lost a win every two years.

Because their appeal is more national than local if they lose their support is even more elastic than your average decent FBS program.

Reaction Score
If Navy keeps losing they will bail. Just like Army and CUSA. Gladchuk probably (not mad) because they lost a win every two years.

Because their appeal is more national than local if they lose their support is even more elastic than your average decent FBS program.
Gladchuk and the head coach could both find themselves on the hot seat. I think the American was a nice idea. It's a decent football and basketball conference. The 2nd contract came up about 3 million a year per school of being adequate. I get Memphis and Houston being excited given where they are coming from as far as TV revenue. Navy could probably do better on its own.

Reaction Score
I

I will readily admit not attending Harvard or Yale. That said a number of Sisters of St Joseph would be dissappointed in my mistake. I was taught better. Mea culpa!
Not to worry. We have our fun. No quarter asked or given. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom