The Athletic Top 25 '23-24 | The Boneyard

The Athletic Top 25 '23-24

Reaction Score

2 of the best in the college basketball media to do it (Sam Vecenie and CJ Moore) collaborated on their top 25. To me, this is the start of legit pre-season content (along with the 3-Man Weave countdown which is in the 20s right now), because this list is well-researched, includes coach intel, and pretty comprehensive all around. We're out of "too early" season and into pre-season.

UConn #7
Coming off of a national title, Connecticut lost three critical players in Jordan Hawkins, Adama Sanogo and Andre Jackson Jr. And yet, that still won’t stop the Huskies from being a consensus top-10 team. Why? The work the Connecticut staff has done on the recruiting trail and in the portal mixed with three terrific returning stars.

Graduate transfer Cam Spencer is the critical addition in Storrs. Spencer is 6-foot-4 and might not be able to dunk, but he’s one of the best shooters in all of college basketball. Beyond that, he also brings a versatile game. He’s an underrated defender within a team concept, coming from a top-five defensive team last year at Rutgers. And don’t be surprised to see him running point at times along with Tristen Newton and newcomer Stephon Castle. Much like last year, the Huskies have a bevy of ballhandling options. Castle has the highest upside of the group, as the big 6-foot-6 guard is elite in ball screens and has been great on defense early for Connecticut at the point of attack, using his length to frustrate the opposition.

Still, the key here is the man in the middle. Donovan Clingan should be a preseason All-American and should be one of the preseason frontrunners for national defensive player of the year along with Creighton’s Ryan Kalkbrenner. The 7-foot-2 big completely shuts off the paint defensively and was incredibly productive on offense on a per-minute basis last year. As he steps into a bigger role, Connecticut should maintain an elite defense. Alex Karaban is the perfect complement for Clingan as a stretch-four shooter who is mobile defensively, and Newton should be an even steadier hand in his second season with the Huskies.

Really, the only question for Connecticut is its depth. First and foremost, it needs to find an answer at center behind Clingan. Samson Johnson should get the first crack, and his athleticism should similarly allow the Huskies to run versatile defensive coverages depending on the situation, much like they did with Sanogo. The team will also rely a lot on freshmen to come in and play solid minutes. The best player thus far among the group has been Jayden Ross, a 6-foot-6 wing who can really fill it up from 3. But Solomon Ball and Jaylin Stewart are both also terrific, four-star recruits who figure to emerge throughout the year.
Vecenie is tight with Luke Murray, so I'm guessing that Jayden Ross shout-out is an informed snippet (or maybe from watching the summer tour tape).

Marquette #2, Creighton #9, Villanova #11 round out the Big East.

Reaction Score
Obligatory post loving the Ross shoutout.

He looks to be ahead of Stewart at this point in large part to Stewart’s injury it seems. Costed him a lot of valuable experience to help with the team over the summer.

Steward has many practices and games to show whathe is capable of. March is what counts.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Steward has many practices and games to show whathe is capable of. March is what counts.
Definitely but minutes on this team is going to be hard enough to come by as is.

Competition seems to be fierce and Ross looks to be taking advantage of his head start.

Going to be interesting to see how the minutes are divided early in the year. Lots of ways to go with this roster.

Reaction Score
Winning at Kansas is a very difficult thing to do; few teams can do it. But it will be important for UConn.

Why? Because some of these conferences are so top heavy. In fact, Kansas has only Baylor at around #20 to contend with. Meanwhile UConn has not only a tough OOC slate, but 6 games against BE teams ranked in the top 11. And you add St. John's, and you have a dogfight.

I can see a similar year to last year with a good conference record, 3rd place finish, and meanwhile the committee will make the same mistake again and give the 8th ranked team a 4 or 5 seed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like it to be true, but is Nova really going to be that good? Addition by subtraction, maybe? And Marquette is only as good as Kolek. I can see him breaking down late again.

Reaction Score
I'd like it to be true, but is Nova really going to be that good? Addition by subtraction, maybe? And Marquette is only as good as Kolek. I can see him breaking down late again.
They brought in a ton of really good transfers. TJ Bamba, Tyler Burton and Hakim Hart are all really good players, and they'll have a fully healthy Justin Moore for the full season. I don't think Kyle Neptune is a good coach so 11 might be a little aggressive, but they have a ton of talent

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Winning at Kansas is a very difficult thing to do; few teams can do it. But it will be important for UConn.

Why? Because some of these conferences are so top heavy. In fact, Kansas has only Baylor at around #20 to contend with. Meanwhile UConn has not only a tough OOC slate, but 6 games against BE teams ranked in the top 11. And you add St. John's, and you have a dogfight.

I can see a similar year to last year with a good conference record, 3rd place finish, and meanwhile the committee will make the same mistake again and give the 8th ranked team a 4 or 5 seed.
Baylor is #10 on this list, Houston is #13 and Texas is #23. No easy path in any of the big conferences this year. Kansas may need a break by the time we play them. Kentucky then Maui (Marquette/UCLA and then probably Purdue, Gonzaga or Tennessee). One cupcake and then they get UConn.

This Duke team is scary. First time in a long time they're going to have top tier talent and some experience. Tennessee is going to be very good too. Michigan State will probably be better than Purdue.

Reaction Score
Moore, Bamba, Burton, Hart and Dixon are a heck of a top-five, while Armstrong/Ware/Arcidiacono provide depth.

Not sold on Neptune, but huge shoes to fill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They brought in a ton of really good transfers. TJ Bamba, Tyler Burton and Hakim Hart are all really good players, and they'll have a fully healthy Justin Moore for the full season. I don't think Kyle Neptune is a good coach so 11 might be a little aggressive, but they have a ton of talent
Yep and Eric Dixon. Nova is loaded, if Jordan Longino is finally healthy and makes the leap they'll be scary.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yep and Eric Dixon. Nova is loaded, if Jordan Longino is finally healthy and makes the leap they'll be scary.
The wild card is on the bench. Neptune kinda gets a pass because of Moore's injury, but he was pretty unimpressive handling that team last year. They ARE loaded this year, he is going to be hot seat'd if he doesn't at least show out respectable

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

2 of the best in the college basketball media to do it (Sam Vecenie and CJ Moore) collaborated on their top 25. To me, this is the start of legit pre-season content (along with the 3-Man Weave countdown which is in the 20s right now), because this list is well-researched, includes coach intel, and pretty comprehensive all around. We're out of "too early" season and into pre-season.

UConn #7

Vecenie is tight with Luke Murray, so I'm guessing that Jayden Ross shout-out is an informed snippet (or maybe from watching the summer tour tape).

Shaka is a great coach. Before last year he would have been the only coach I would consider trading for Hurley. Kolek is a mystery to me. He does not stand out in any way but by the end of the game he has 18-20 points 5 assists and 6 rebounds. I am thinking that that Castle is going to be a tough match up for him this year. Hopefully we can return the favor and sweep them this year.

Reaction Score
Shaka is a great coach. Before last year he would have been the only coach I would consider trading for Hurley. Kolek is a mystery to me. He does not stand out in any way but by the end of the game he has 18-20 points 5 assists and 6 rebounds. I am thinking that that Castle is going to be a tough match up for him this year. Hopefully we can return the favor and sweep them this year.

I doubt Kolek and Castle are each other's primary defender. Spencer or Newton (or Solo or Diarra) are better matchups for both teams on defense.

I could see us trying to force a switch and use Castle to get Kolek on his heels and draw fouls with his size and foorwork in the lane.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can return the favor and sweep them this year.
I think we went 1-2 against them last year, no? We blew them off the court when we hosted them if I recall correctly. Still, I very much want to sweep or take the season series against them this coming season

Reaction Score
Yup Marquette got blown out @ XL. Newton w his second triple double.

IMG_1815.jpeg

*Photo cred = me, I took this lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom