The Athletic NBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

The Athletic NBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score

5. Portland Trail Blazers

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut​

Welcome to the top five, Stephon Castle! Over the last month, few freshmen around college basketball have been better than the 6-6 guard/wing hybrid, who is averaging 12.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists in his last 12 games while shooting 49.4 percent from the field and 39.3 percent from 3.

18. New York Knicks (via DAL)​

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut​

Clingan has had an up-and-down year due to injuries to his foot in the preseason and an ankle injury midway through the season. But when he’s been on the court, he’s been one of the most dominant players in college basketball. He completely shuts down the paint when he’s in the game, with an enormous frame that takes up a significant portion of the paint.

Reaction Score
i'd be shocked if newton can't find a spot in the league
His shooting regression may do him in as far as being drafted, but he should definitely get a two way. Considering how well every other non-freshman shoots in this offense, it hurts to see him down near 30%, which was around his career average before he got to UConn.

But they don't grow 6'5" guys with his vision and ability to draw fouls on trees, so he'll get a shot.

Reaction Score
not sure if it's intentional or not, but both givony and vecenie have karaban going in the mid 40's to the celtics -- do they know something we don't??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
not sure if it's intentional or not, but both givony and vecenie have karaban going in the mid 40's to the celtics -- do they know something we don't??
He's a good fit for what Boston needs and runs. He passes the ball really well and with the guys they have a bench rotation player gets a lot of open looks. I am sure there are some metrics but to my eye, he doesn't miss the wide open looks often. Defensively he can use some strength, but he's worth a look in round 2.

Reaction Score
His shooting regression may do him in as far as being drafted, but he should definitely get a two way. Considering how well every other non-freshman shoots in this offense, it hurts to see him down near 30%, which was around his career average before he got to UConn.

But they don't grow 6'5" guys with his vision and ability to draw fouls on trees, so he'll get a shot.
He’s got very inconsistent shooting mechanics. I’m hoping he gets to a place that has the developmental resources to help with that. We’ve seen how much of a difference it has made with Andre’s shooting already.

Reaction Score
Does Karaban go if he’s getting 2nd round feedback?
I don't think so.

I feel like unlike a lot of guys, Karaban is the rare case of a player whose stock isn't at risk of dropping greatly if he comes back. It's not like Andre Jackson where he has a low floor and a high ceiling and if he comes back unimproved, he'll never get drafted.

Karaban will wait to be a 1st round pick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Probably a 2-way. Doubt he ever sees any non garbage-time NBA minutes.
haha i should have been more clear. i don't mean allstar or starters minutes or anything....but as you say, someone will pick him up.

Reaction Score
I don't think so.

I feel like unlike a lot of guys, Karaban is the rare case of a player whose stock isn't at risk of dropping greatly if he comes back. It's not like Andre Jackson where he has a low floor and a high ceiling and if he comes back unimproved, he'll never get drafted.

Karaban will wait to be a 1st round pick.
Karaban seems like a 3 year college player to me...unless he knocks it out of the park the next 6 weeks and gets 1st round feedback.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Brian Scalabrine has any sway with the Celtics but I'll tell the story anyway. When Karaban was a freshman at Algonquin he played at the TD Garden and had a great game against Belmont. Scalabrine came up to him after the game and spoke to him for a little while and told him he loved the way he played. He still follows what Alex has been doing because of that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They spoke to Brad after the Marquette game

Reaction Score
2024 is such a weak draft. That is the thing that may sway Karaban to go it he is early 2nd round. As we are well aware from Jackson's contract as an early 2nd rounder, only the 1st 2 years are guaranteed, but if a team picks up all 4 years we are talking in the $7M-$8M range for a 2nd round pick. My guess is if he is graduating, or close to graduating Karaban will take his shot at the NBA this year. The upside for staying another year just isn't there as the odds of him jumping into the first round next year are slim.

Reaction Score

He needs to get stronger too. He has that Charlie Villanueva skinny fat body. He has very little lift on his jumper as well, which I can't help but think is related to leg strength.

Reaction Score
The Athletic just released a new NBA mock draft. Unfortunately it is behind a paywall but it has Castle at 5 to Portland, Clingan at 18 to the Knicks, Karaban to the Celtics at 41 and Spencer to the Spurs at 44.
That is 91 unlv level

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom