The Athletic: Coach Confidential | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletic: Coach Confidential

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The BE coaches are making that proclamation based on what? Last year weren't fans not even in attendance?

Reaction Score
I think it has to go through Sanogo. I know he isn't the passer everyone wants him to be, but they have to keep working with him because him getting doubled can create some of our best offense if he can learn to get the ball out on time to the right guys. Not sure we have anyone else who can draw two guys and get others freed up.
The problem with scripted iso's for Sanogo is that, unless there's an open passing lane to him with a foot already on the block, the result is most likely either:
  • a forced pass that ends up in a turnover
  • he catches it in a bad position, takes a while to pass it back out, and then nobody is able to create a shot for themselves
  • he catches it in a bad position, forces a bad shot and misses, leading to an easy rebound because we've all cleared out of the lane for spacing
All of which are deflating for momentum on top of being a wasted possession.

Looking for it early in a possession is fine, but if it's not there, we have to move onto something else.

Reaction Score
The problem with scripted iso's for Sanogo is that, unless there's an open passing lane to him with a foot already on the block, the result is most likely either:
  • he catches it in a bad position, takes a while to pass it back out, and then nobody is able to create a shot for themselves
  • he catches it in a bad position, forces a bad shot and misses, leading to an easy rebound because we've all cleared out of the lane for spacing

Looking for it early in a possession is fine, but if it's not there, we have to move onto something else.
And the fact that this has been an issue since November is still what bothers me. Maybe we don't have the personnel to fix the issue this season, fine, then we need to recruit and hit the portal to fill those gaps.

Reaction Score

I mean obviously we don't have any perfect options, but imo these things are fixable and Sanogo still has more room for improvement than anyone else on the team. Whether or not this staff can help him reach his full potential is TBD.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please. It’s a built in excuse that people are using to cover up for a bad stretch. Notice you say if the crowd doesn’t pass your muster we deserve to lose. Not if the team fails to show up. So either way I guess Hurley and the team are off the hook if it goes poorly. If we win tomorrow is the XL a great home court now? Which is it?

And none of you can answer for that near epic collapse down the stretch against St. John’s which occurred in….GAMPEL. And I say this as someone who much prefers gampel both the atmosphere and the scenic country backroad commute. But this XL crap is lashing out to distract from a team that is currently not playing well with a lot of roster management and coaching decisions being questionable.
You do realize that the Athletic is an independent publication and not a BY poster, right? It made the same observation that posters have about the XL Center.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
When I look at old film from Calhoun's best teams, what is most striking between then and now is the difference in ball movement. Calhoun emphasized passing and moving the ball around with less dribbling. The passing was crisp and there was movement without the ball, which usually led to high percentage shots. Of course, you still have to MAKE the shots. I'd like to see more of that and a less schematic (and predictable) approach on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean obviously we don't have any perfect options, but imo these things are fixable and Sanogo still has more room for improvement than anyone else on the team. Whether or not this staff can help him reach his full potential is TBD.
I think part of the problem too is that, even in a perfect world where Sanogo learns to pass out of the double team perfectly every time, he's passing to a bunch of guys who can't shoot. Other teams are catching on to this and know that they can double Sanogo/sag off our guards because there's no accompanying threat from three. Which leads to the lane being even more congested, which kills any chance we have at getting guys to the rim, and so on and so on.....

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem too is that, even in a perfect world where Sanogo learns to pass out of the double team perfectly every time, he's passing to a bunch of guys who can't shoot. Other teams are catching on to this and know that they can double Sanogo/sag off our guards because there's no accompanying threat from three. Which leads to the lane being even more congested, which kills any chance we have at getting guys to the rim, and so on and so on.....
We have the shooters that are capable of hitting the open shots if we play the right lineups. Obviously the Whaley, Jackson, Sanogo trio is not ideal in terms of shooting, and hopefully we see less of that going forward.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I was mostly fine with the article. Nothing all that insightful to anyone who has seen them play. Without expounding on it, I don't agree with this line, "Andre Jackson is a dynamic athlete. He couldn’t shoot it at all last year, but now he’s making shots".
I agree. He’s never making shots. What a rebounder though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
None of UConn's players are good at penetrating and then kicking out to the opposite side or anywhere on the perimeter for open shots. If Martin, Cole or Jackson drive, the only options are them shooting or making a pass to the interior to Sanogo or Whaley. Really no Opponents can provide all the weakside help needed in the lane because there is no risk of their man catching a pass for an open 3.

Reaction Score
When I look at old film from Calhoun's best teams, what is most striking between then and now is the difference in ball movement. Calhoun emphasized passing and moving the ball around with less dribbling. The passing was crisp and there was movement without the ball, which usually led to high percentage shots. Of course, you still have to MAKE the shots. I'd like to see more of that and a less schematic (and predictable) approach on offense.

The passage of time is really an amazing thing. People complained about Calhoun's half court offense incessantly until the end.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The passage of time is really an amazing thing. People complained about Calhoun's half court offense incessantly until the end.
I really didn't like it at all those last few years. But I also don't think it was the same the whole time he was the coach. He ran some ISO stuff when he had the guys for it and it was popular. Some of those loaded teams moved the ball really well, I think in part because they had 4-5 scorers on the court at all times. Other teams scored in transition much more effectively than in half court.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What set offense is this team dependent upon? Wow
I agree the team is a more complete team without Bouk but without the correct rotations it is not effective
Anyone could have written that stuff

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Cue the "They run plays?" reply
They don’t run plays as much as they have a set offensive flow, and rely on the players to recognize a defensive opening. It’s not like they run specific sets to get a certain guy a certain shot in a certain spot.

Well, except for post ups for Sanogo, and an occasional pick and roll with Whaley.

Reaction Score
They don’t run plays as much as they have a set offensive flow, and rely on the players to recognize a defensive opening. It’s not like they run specific sets to get a certain guy a certain shot in a certain spot.

Well, except for post ups for Sanogo, and an occasional pick and roll with Whaley.
Hawkins and Polley 3s???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom