OT: - The athletes who CAN get paid endorsements -- the cheerleaders | The Boneyard

OT: The athletes who CAN get paid endorsements -- the cheerleaders

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
A really interesting story from the NYT about college cheerleaders and their ability to earn money from endorsements and social media since cheer is outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

"Long-held rules governing amateurism among college athletes do not apply to cheerleaders, meaning they can sell autographs, appear in commercials and wear their cheer uniforms while promoting products as social influencers, without fear of being disciplined."

Reaction Score
A really interesting story from the NYT about college cheerleaders and their ability to earn money from endorsements and social media since cheer is outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

"Long-held rules governing amateurism among college athletes do not apply to cheerleaders, meaning they can sell autographs, appear in commercials and wear their cheer uniforms while promoting products as social influencers, without fear of being disciplined."

Argonaut, thanks for posting this. I read it earlier and was going to post it myself. I think that it is a harbinger for what could happen once the Name, Image and Likeness policy is ultimately enacted. I also wondered if it might lead to recruiting advantages in the sense that going to a school with a "Powerhouse Brand" might induce certain athletes to favor one school over another. With respect to Women's College Basketball, it might lead to a dual win. Go to the school (UCONN) with both the best coaches and the greatest notoriety.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Argonaut, thanks for posting this. I read it earlier and was going to post it myself. I think that it is a harbinger for what could happen once the Name, Image and Likeness policy is ultimately enacted. I also wondered if it might lead to recruiting advantages in the sense that going to a school with a "Powerhouse Brand" might induce certain athletes to favor one school over another. With respect to Women's College Basketball, it might lead to a dual win. Go to the school (UCONN) with both the best coaches and the greatest notoriety.

I would also imagine that it would give a huge advantage to those in traditional college towns versus in big cities -- even if the program's notoriety isn't huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET
Top Bottom