The arc under the basket | The Boneyard

The arc under the basket

Reaction Score
I thought it was an area that prohibited charging. But yesterday in the second half a Memphis player was clearly inside the arc and the ref called charging on Carlton. They even replayed the foul. Neither announcer said anything about the arc.

What am I missing (about the call)?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It’s not used in the college game.

Reaction Score
College refs, especially in aac games are going to call a charge if the defender falls almost every time and will only call a block if it’s an obvious charge or if they owe the team a makeup call.

Reaction Score
College refs, especially in aac games are going to call a charge if the defender falls almost every time and will only call a block if it’s an obvious charge or if they owe the team a makeup call.
Carlton only played 12 minutes but had 5 rebounds and 4 fouls.
He took 2 shots and made one.
Somebody didn’t want him to play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought it was an area that prohibited charging. But yesterday in the second half a Memphis player was clearly inside the arc and the ref called charging on Carlton. They even replayed the foul. Neither announcer said anything about the arc.

The Memphis player was just outside on that play. Inside means all the way inside. Your heels touching the line is outside. There were tons of bad calls in that game. That wasn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
The Memphis player was just outside on that play. Inside means all the way inside. Your heels touching the line is outside. There were tons of bad calls in that game. That wasn’t one of them.
"The restricted area makes it harder to prevent layups by forcing the defender to plant both feet fully outside the restricted arc. When an offensive player runs into a defender whose foot is partly within the restricted zone the referee must call a defensive blocking foul, regardless of whether the defender is in otherwise perfect position or their heel is barely grazing the line."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"The restricted area makes it harder to prevent layups by forcing the defender to plant both feet fully outside the restricted arc. When an offensive player runs into a defender whose foot is partly within the restricted zone the referee must call a defensive blocking foul, regardless of whether the defender is in otherwise perfect position or their heel is barely grazing the line."

Didn’t know that. They never call it that way.

Reaction Score

What you (and we all) are missing is good refs that are able to make the right calls...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hate the “just stand there and grab your balls” defense that refs eat up and call charges all day.

Reaction Score
On that play they were both moving and Carlton put his shoulder down. Did not love the call but it was not awful. The arc is for when a defender is standing still and did not apply on that particular play.

Reaction Score
Refs...or play style?

UConn ranks #268 in Personal Fouls per game....

Reaction Score
On that play they were both moving and Carlton put his shoulder down. Did not love the call but it was not awful. The arc is for when a defender is standing still and did not apply on that particular play.

I think you're right. Carlton got the foul for putting his shoulder and elbow into the guy to create space. I don't think the arc matters for that. Would have liked to see them let it go since there were a couple rebounding scrums where they let Memphis throw people around with impunity, but it was a legit call.

Now the charge on Akok in the first half where Quinones was not set, that was a terrible call.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

yeah if you lower a shoulder or extend an arm, thats going to supersede the stupid semi circle.

one of the worst rules in all of sports

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I hate the “just stand there and grab your balls” defense that refs eat up and call charges all day.

if they Called more of the offensive fouls that are already out there they wouldn’t have to.

the whole point of that move is just make it clear you’re in legal guarding position. Because it’s rare to get a charge if you don’t fall. Which is a separate issue.

Reaction Score
Question.
What were the 3 worst officiated games this year and the 3 best? If you can recall?

Reaction Score
Have to go back and look at Whaley 5th foul. He was not moving. Hands straight up. Contact was initialed by Precious clearing with his left arm. Nothing Whaley could do on that one

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Think it's just the first one. I don't buy the conspiracy theory on the refs. AAC refs just absolutely stink.

agreed. AAC refs are not good enough to purposely be that bad.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Question.
What were the 3 worst officiated games this year and the 3 best? If you can recall?

I thought the games in Charleston were reasonably officiated. Missed a few but fairly consistent in how games were called.
  • Villanova game was the worst. Calling so many offensive but letting their guards push off like crazy. Gillespie had one foul and committed about 30. UConn shot 3 free throws total as a team. They called a huge foul on AG where there was no contact at all.
  • Houston. 29 on UConn 24 on Houston. Refs just ruined that game. That phantom T on Bouk was nonsense.
  • Tulsa. They shot 32 FTs. Tulsa 14 fouls and UConn 26, yet they were very physical with our guys.
  • Honorable mention to Memphis 22-15 fouls, when Memphis was clearly more physical team on defense. They got away with so many grabs and bumps.
The problem is inconsistency. UConn shot 42 FTs against WSU (yes In 2OT) and 3 FT the very next game. How do you adjust to that? Our guys don’t sell fouls very well. We fall down too often when not fouled. The refs then ignore it when we get clobbered. They also don’t protect the ball well on drives to the rim, elevating the ball way too soon. Shield the ball like an RB, take the hit, then shoot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom