The Answer to the Amari riddle? | The Boneyard

The Answer to the Amari riddle?

Reaction Score
Geno has said, that on the offensive end, the player should do what the player does best. Obviously, there should be a higher % of success if that occurs. "Set them up for success" comes to mind too. Indeed, if the player is confident, since it is their best skill (in the player's head anyway)-- then it will flow naturally.
Amari is a confident player. She knows what she wants to do. Yes, I said--she knows what SHE wants to do. Amari knows what she does best! Amari sees herself as a POINT CENTER. She can be the floor leader from the foul line. She knows she can distribute the ball. She easily can see the floor. She likes the HI-Low thing, with Amari being in the HI position. And the big one--she see herself as a SHOOTER. Amari proved all of her beliefs tonight. On the offensive end she is not the banger on the court. She is a floor general. She will never even be position most of the time to be an Offensive rebounder. However, on the defensive end, Amari is starting to rebound, defend closer, and block some shots. She is in the perfect position to get some rebounding and shot blocking. Amari does see herself as a rebounder/blocker, but in the beginner stages. It is not her forte--YET!
Since Amari played most of her offensive minutes hovering around the foul line I would have to guess that Geno wanted her there. IMHO, I believe that there was a clear agreement about Amari's play. Geno and Amari were on the same page about her style--this game. Let her do what she does best and the results are more positive. Everyone is happy--- --- for now. We know in the future Geno will expect more skills and more versatility. As a top sub, with tonight's performance, Amari has just increased her value to the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno has said, that on the offensive end, the player should do what the player does best. Obviously, there should be a higher % of success if that occurs. "Set them up for success" comes to mind too. Indeed, if the player is confident, since it is their best skill (in the player's head anyway)-- then it will flow naturally.
Amari is a confident player. She knows what she wants to do. Yes, I said--she knows what SHE wants to do. Amari knows what she does best! Amari sees herself as a POINT CENTER. She can be the floor leader from the foul line. She knows she can distribute the ball. She easily can see the floor. She likes the HI-Low thing, with Amari being in the HI position. And the big one--she see herself as a SHOOTER. Amari proved all of her beliefs tonight. On the offensive end she is not the banger on the court. She is a floor general. She will never even be position most of the time to be an Offensive rebounder. However, on the defensive end, Amari is starting to rebound, defend closer, and block some shots. She is in the perfect position to get some rebounding and shot blocking. Amari does see herself as a rebounder/blocker, but in the beginner stages. It is not her forte--YET!
Since Amari played most of her offensive minutes hovering around the foul line I would have to guess that Geno wanted her there. IMHO, I believe that there was a clear agreement about Amari's play. Geno and Amari were on the same page about her style--this game. Let her do what she does best and the results are more positive. Everyone is happy--- --- for now. We know in the future Geno will expect more skills and more versatility. As a top sub, with tonight's performance, Amari has just increased her value to the team.
I’d like to see her take more of those open threes. She showed that she could hit them tonight.

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach has it mostly right. Amari is not a banger type center. She wants to be like Joel Embeed,
a long range shooter. Occasionally, a blocked shot and some rebounds. She wants to move around. We haven't seen that yet, but she can go up and down the lane. When she adds to sky hook, watch out!

Reaction Score
Also, she'll learn from someone like Tina Charles that she must be tough, must use he weight and height to intimidate some other team players. Tina toughened up all the bigs, AE and Dorka and Amari. They will need
that toughness against S. Carolina. Go Huskies

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Usually, Geno has to tell a young post player to learn to expand her game to the three-point line. Amari can already do that. Some posters complain that she hangs around the three-point line too much. I believe she does that because the coaches tell her to. I know she needs to get tougher but, she has too much offensive potential to not play her at all. So, when she starts doing other things the coaches want her to do, I think she will be a valuable asset. Play her when another big is in the game. I don't know if she has it in her to be a rugged rebounder.

Reaction Score
I’m just happy for her! Even if she is underachieving and a great source of frustration to Geno (which I’m sure she is), it’s nice to see her have a little taste of what could be in store for her if she can just follow this up with better effort and production on the court. I still have great hopes for her. She’s admittedly taking a long time to get there but she may yet make her mark here. I’m certainly rooting for her!

Reaction Score
The issue with her right now is that in a close game the team is really forced to play zone. That can work against some teams, but is untenable against others. Her off ball defensive instincts are good, but she really can’t guard someone one on one, at least not yet. That problem might be solved over the summer, but not in the next two months.

Reaction Score
Amari scored one of her rebounds in fingertip to fingertip competition with Dorka. She just out-reached Dorka and snagged the ball. I don't remember seeing that competitive spirit from Amari before tonight. Usually she just defers to whoever is under the basket and lets them get the ball. I hope we see more of this spirited play from her.

Reaction Score
I think that is why her fitness has been an issue. If she wants to be on the high post then she needs to be more mobile and able to quickly go from setting a screen to being the point center to rotating down into the paint to keep the defense honest. She needs to be able to consistently participate in the motion offense if she is going to be out there. She did a good job last night.

Reaction Score
Here’s what else I saw on that assist. She picked herself up off the floor before the ball bounced after Inês’ layup. When bigs hit the floor it can take a second or two for them to get those long legs and arms moving in the same direction. Not Amari.

Speaking of long arms, I can see why SH didn’t guard her at the top of the key even when she had the ball. Why bother? There’s no way they could challenge a shot or a pass given how high she holds the ball.

Reaction Score
Thank you! Amari in that 1-4 High set or anywhere near the High Post, is deadly. Sure she gets a turnover or two. Heck everyone gets a turnover. The key is being able to forget that play and move on, I think Amari has that mindset of "FIDO" Forget It and Drive On. She looked great out there and I am happy that when she gets minutes, she does her best. That is all that we can ask. Great job, Amari!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not if she play like she had been playing prior to last night.
I believe she would. The other teams don't have the post players to challenge her except DePaul. Just as Mir did for Virginia, I believe she would have started at the start of the season. Most other coaches are not as demanding as Geno.

Reaction Score
I believe she would. The other teams don't have the post players to challenge her except DePaul. Just as Mir did for Virginia, I believe she would have started at the start of the season. Most other coaches are not as demanding as Geno.
I agree. Amari wouldn’t be the most dominating post in the conference. But any of the other teams in the BE would improve their lineups by starting her. And she’d improve as a result, within the limits of what their team cultures and practice/training regimens required of her. She’s better off at UConn because she’ll develop into a better player here. But she’d play a lot more almost anywhere else.

I can imagine comparing her to two players outside the BE, Kennedy Brown on Duke and Stephanie Soares on Iowa St. These players have similar builds, long and lanky, not bruisers. Soares matured in NAIA play and became a pretty good post. Iowa St will really miss her. If you’d seen her, I suspect, a year or two ago, she’s have looke a bit like Amari does now. Kennedy Brown is a younger talent, a bit more developed than Amari even now but with plenty to learn. But would Kara Lawson have found a place for her in her starting lineup if she hadn’t managed to sign Brown? I think the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've certainly been a "doubter" of Amari up until last night. She showed us, Geno and perhaps herself what she's capable of when dialed in. It was the first time I can remember where she actually smiled on the court and looked as though she was having fun out there. I really hope this was a watershed game for her. Keeping my fingers crossed for Saturday against Butler. What a difference-maker she could be going forward.

Reaction Score
I liked it when Amari, Aaliyah and Dorka were out there at the same time.
Me too. Dorka then becomes a SF taking perimeter shots. This reminds me of the big line up when Stokes, Dolson, and Stewie would be on the floor together.

If Amari can get that light to pop on consistently, she can become the answer to when SC puts Amihere on the floor with two bigs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom