The Amazing Sue Bird | The Boneyard

The Amazing Sue Bird

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Sue deserves her own thread if for no other reason than to list her accomplishments.

After Seattle won its 2nd WNBA title in 2010 Sue Bird said: "I judge myself as a player based on winning. That's how I judge myself." Against that metric, she's pretty good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sue is going to need a much bigger house to hold all the hardware she’s picked up throughout her 26 year career, which still appears to have many years to go based on the way she excelled during the WNBA championship series.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's just such an amazing treat to see Sue Bird remaining at the peak of the sport for so many years. Setting a new benchmark for longevity and sustained excellence. It's a testament to her work ethic and her strong mental game.

Stewie was the MVP of the Finals and deservedly so, but Sue is MVP of the Storm. She sets the tone and her teammates follows her lead of quiet confidence.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's just such an amazing treat to see Sue Bird remaining at the peak of the sport for so many years. Setting a new benchmark for longevity and sustained excellence. It's a testament to her work ethic and her strong mental game.

Stewie was the MVP of the Finals and deservedly so, but Sue is MVP of the Storm. She sets the tone and her teammates follows her lead of quiet confidence.
Wonder where she cemented that attitude and work ethic? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sue and Stewie showing off the UConn connection / pedigree to the max. They both have a talent another famous Bird displayed, that being Larry. Actually two, the first being court vision and the second knowing where to be when they do not have the ball. ;)

Reaction Score
Bird is a generational wonder. Don't know what more to say. She doesn't seem super fast. Or super quick. But she is just super in performance.

I'll never forget her college career.

The 99-00 season - she mastered the pg position throughout.
The Tennessee game . I recall she seemed to take the game over. Tennessee even tried to put Randall on her but still couldn't stop her.
I believe the Final Four game she was huge vs Penn State. Penn State hung tough but I think it was Bird that crushed them.
And ofc the team dismantling with a superstar pg of Tennessee in the Finals. That was as fine of a clinic on how to play vs a great opposing team as I've seen at the time.

The 00-01 season
Who could forget the Big East Championship game vs ND? Only a supreme superstar leads UCONN to that type of victory.

The 01-02 season

The team dismantling of fine basketball teams of ODU and Tennessee in the E8 and FF. That was ditto to above in italics - as fine of a clinic on how to play vs great opposing teams as I've seen at the time.

Bird is a wonder. SO no wonder when she was the pg directing the supreme offense of which I saw some of the greatest executed games I've ever seen a team perform at that time. And OFC the ND game was just "unspeakable."

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I've told this story before but given the thread, I'll tell it again. I knew Sue's dad, Herschel, who everyone called "Doc." He was sort of second or third tier friend, a guy you'd hang with a few times a year.

I met him in Las Vegas one time--Sue must have been a high school junior or senior at the time--and we went out to dinner. Doc told me that Sue was headed to UConn to play basketball.

I've asked many impudent questions in my life but this may have been the most brazen: I leaned across the table and asked, "Is she any good?"

Reaction Score
I don't believe Herschel ever attended any of Sue's games at UConn. On the other hand, Sue's mom drove from LI , NY to attend every game and eventually got an apartment in CT to be close to UConn. I remember vaguely that Sue's father did not want her to attend UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue got congrats from a ton of people, including LeBron, Jeremy Lamb, Victor Oladipo, J.J. Redick, Lauren Jackson, Swin Cash, Lindsay Whalen, Svetlana Abromosiva, Chennedy Carter, and Ryan Ruocco, to name a few.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've asked many impudent questions in my life but this may have been the most brazen: I leaned across the table and asked, "Is she any good?"
She wasn’t even considered the best guard recruit they had. Keirsten Walters who had that knee issue and a shortened career and Sue took full advantage. The rest, as they say, is history.

Reaction Score
From Coach John Moran and super teammates Niesha Butler & Gillian McGovern on her AAU [Queens, NY] Liberty Belles championship team in the 8th grade, eh? I think Sue's father Herschel would agree!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom