The all energy team | The Boneyard

The all energy team

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
DO, Whalley, Diarra and Williams. Tonight those four guys gave us 6 points in 60 minutes of play.

I love the energy but am unimpressed with the production.
It looked like Williams was more active than the others. Especially on defense. Seems he has the strength to tangle with the bigs. This is the longest he has played all year. Three's and in the paint.

Reaction Score
Weren’t all 6 of those Williams? His defense was substandard, but that’s not surprising giving his limited playing time. His rebounding picked up by the end of the game, but his offensive motor was decent. I was happy to see him getting playing time.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Let Williams play for rest of the season and also absorb all the minutes DO gets. Assign
DO to work for the CT dept. of transportation so he can at least partially earn the Grad. Scholarship he stole from us.
Have him work the overnight shift. Do this immediately starting Monday.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Let Williams play for rest of the season and also absorb all the minutes DO gets. Assign
DO to work for the CT dept. of transportation so he can at least partially earn the Grad. Scholarship he stole from us.
Have him work the overnight shift. Do this immediately starting Monday.
That would be Ollie’s best coaching move of the season. It is utterly embarrassing have DO in a uniform.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Are we really trying to lay this thing at the feet of DO? Been reading a lot of this for awhile. Sure he’s inept but Wow. We have a whole team that can’t dribble, pass, rebound or shoot.
No. Some of us are just overly impressed by his "ineptitude " after already having a full college career and Lou Ferigno muscle development before he came here. It's not his fault.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our front court is a low-to-mid-major smorgasbord.

They’re not going to turn into world-beaters just because they put on a UConn uniform. And near as I can tell, in the absence of a plan, that was the hope.

Reaction Score

They’re not going to turn into world-beaters just because they put on a UConn uniform. And near as I can tell, in the absence of a plan, that was the hope.
I agree 100%, all of them are limited, but I am perplexed that we are 20 plus games into the season and KO does not have a handle on which players should get minutes.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The plan was to get them in the gym. Anyone remember that preseason twitter or instagram photo KO put out of the staff and players at practice, "cooking up" some excellence? I imagine the practice sessions are just full-court scrimmages, with some foul shooting on the side.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I agree 100%, all of them are limited, but I am perplexed that we are 20 plus games into the season and KO does not have a handle on which players should get minutes.

In lieu of a game plan, we seem to just shuffle the front court and announce a different starting lineup every night.

He’ll have a player who he’ll state he wants to get more minutes for, that player will get some more minutes for a game or two and then something else will attract his attention.

Williams might get the start for the next game and then he’ll be back to being buried the game after.

This will bite us in the ass after the season.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In lieu of a game plan, we seem to just shuffle the front court and announce a different starting lineup every night.

He’ll have a player who he’ll state he wants to get more minutes for, that player will get some more minutes for a game or two and then something else will attract his attention.

Williams might get the start for the next game and then he’ll be back to being buried the game after.

17 different starting line ups when 3 positions should be a constant every game. Although the Larrier injury gifted us some starts with Polley, so maybe don't count those.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m not as worked up about the starting lineups as I am with the lack of role development. This ain’t the NBA where almost every player can dribble through traffic, make quick decisions and thread the needle with a pass, or shoot from deep.

OTOH, rebounding and the aimless man to man defense are bigger problems. I recall year after year at the Big East tournament marveling at the impenetrable defense and the one and done shooting of the opponent. Even with these current players you’d think Ollie would be able to reproduce that.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a good developing young player.

Whalley and Diarra are two of the worse offensive players the Huskies have ever put on the court. Neither is confident shooting a five foot jumper. And neither should be.

DO is competent rebounder.

I have no idea what we have with Williams.

Reaction Score
Yup, there is going to be a mass exodus at the end of the season. When Ollie leaves we have a few years of a rebuilding process. Hopefully the UConn name still carries some weight and gets us back to relevance sooner but I'm prepared for the team to stink for a few more years.

Reaction Score
JT3rd had nothing but good things to say about Carlton and his potential. I like this group.

Reaction Score
JT3rd had nothing but good things to say about Carlton and his potential. I like this group.
Carlton is a DC kid who JT3 recruited hard, of course he had nice things to say. Carlton has some things to work with but it's been so long since we've seen a decent big, we tend to overrate ones who just show a pulse. A good coach could definitely get some good stuff out of Carlton though.

As for the group, if somehow Ollie were to stay they win about 5 games without Jalen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Carlton will be a player. Diarra with the right coach could be useful. Whaley’s a project with modest upside.

Williams is a project where some of the pieces aren’t in even the box.

DO is an Ivy League graduate and he’ll be a holy terror in the corporate intramural leagues. I’d pay to see him foul Saul from legal into a coma.

Reaction Score
Have not been overly impressed with Carlton. Seems hauntingly similar another disappointing big, Phil Nolan, who seemed to never upgrade his game for four years: not sufficiently aggressive on the boards, bad hands, no offensive moves, turnover machine, instant foul trouble, uncanny ability to miss on putbacks. Not a recipe for long term success. Nolan used to show an all too rare occasional flash, raising hopes, ultimately dashed. That is all I have seen so far from Carlton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have not been overly impressed with Carlton. Seems hauntingly similar another disappointing big, Phil Nolan, who seemed to never upgrade his game for four years: not sufficiently aggressive on the boards, bad hands, no offensive moves, turnover machine, instant foul trouble, uncanny ability to miss on putbacks. Not a recipe for long term success.
I see good hands, some offensive moves, and decent footwork. He needs to gain muscle badly and needs to gain some bounce. He has some talent there but it's been so long since we've had a decent big that the board tends to overrate him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Have not been overly impressed with Carlton. Seems hauntingly similar another disappointing big, Phil Nolan, who seemed to never upgrade his game for four years: not sufficiently aggressive on the boards, bad hands, no offensive moves, turnover machine, instant foul trouble, uncanny ability to miss on putbacks. Not a recipe for long term success. Nolan used to show an all too rare occasional flash, raising hopes, ultimately dashed. That is all I have seen so far from Carlton.

Aside from instant foul trouble, I vehemently disagree that Carlton shares any of those qualities with Nolan -- particularly the lack of offensive moves and inability to handle putbacks.

Reaction Score
The hope has to be that we get a new coach in April & we are able to hold onto AG, Wilson, Akinjo, Carlton, Diarra & Jalen (if he wants to come back).

If the next coach thinks Polley, Whaley,Williams, Kisunas & Mathews might develop into something great, if not.......

Yes we have the NCAA hanging over the program but assuming we're able to put that behind us before the 2018-2019 season maybe it can be a quick turnaround.

First things first though...........we need a new coach with a fresh perspective & ideas quickly once the targeted coach has finished their season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom