The AJ Guyton open letter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The AJ Guyton open letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Knight probably stayed on a couple years to long ('lost it' mentally a little bit). If not for the last few years, he'd be eulogized like JC, chairing throwing aside.
I think Bob Knight was a great coach who cared about his kids, but he crossed the line when he throttled that kid. End of story, and he deserved to lose his job. Comparing him to Jim Calhoun and acting like Calhoun's intensity somehow excuses Knight's violent and abusive behavior is nonsensical.

You are talking about the choking incident, no? I didn't think Knight actually beat a kid bloody.

And yeah, that was unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I think Knight probably stayed on a couple years to long ('lost it' mentally a little bit). If not for the last few years, he'd be eulogized like JC, chairing throwing aside.

You are talking about the choking incident, no? I didn't think Knight actually beat a kid bloody.

And yeah, that was unacceptable.

Yes, the choking incident. I'm confused.

Reaction Score
Yes, the choking incident. I'm confused.

The choking thing with Neil Reed was the tip of the iceberg. The laundry list of people Bob Knight abused and bullied was a long one, from secretaries in the basketball office to professors on campus to random people on the street. A great coach, committed to his kids and making them better human beings, but a bully of the highest order, and a guy fundamentally incapable of controlling his anger.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The choking thing with Neil Reed was the tip of the iceberg. The laundry list of people Bob Knight abused and bullied was a long one, from secretaries in the basketball office to professors on campus to random people on the street. A great coach, committed to his kids and making them better human beings, but a bully of the highest order, and a guy fundamentally incapable of controlling his anger.

Ding ding ding.

I like AJ and that's a very reasonable position from a player, but state universities can not have someone like Bob Knight as their public face.

Reaction Score
I think Bob Knight was a great coach who cared about his kids, but he crossed the line when he throttled that kid. End of story, and he deserved to lose his job. Comparing him to Jim Calhoun and acting like Calhoun's intensity somehow excuses Knight's violent and abusive behavior is nonsensical.

Dude relax, if these three things (I posted that Guyton said) don't remind you of Calhoun then I'm shocked:

1. I'm going to push you harder than you've ever been pushed
2. Your going to graduate
3. I'll be there for you whenever you need me.

No one talked about intensity, excuses, abusive behavior or violence. These three things are also the principles of Calhoun, which to me are old school, meaning beyond basketball and college. I have no issue comparing those principles with Calhoun's.

Where you went with my post is confusing, at least to me.

Reaction Score
The last 10 years of bobby knights tenure at IU gave little evidence that he was going to win a championship in 2002, let alone multiple ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99