The AD's Ability to Hire: Myth or Fact | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The AD's Ability to Hire: Myth or Fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could care less about KOs win-loss record this year, and how he coaches his players on the court. After all, it's a rebuilding year. Bottom line is CAN HE RECRUIT. If he gets a couple big time players to commit to the Conn over the next year, he deserves a longer term deal, regardless of his on-court record. The wins will come, but we've got to get the players.
And these big time recruits he has landed are??? Samuels is maybe a top 100 depending on the list you look at (I've seen him as high as 112 on some.) Facey is not even listed on some top 100s that I've seen, though to give him his due he got good reviews at summer camps and shows up around 88 now on ESPN, but I doubt he's anywhere near top 25 even so. Both 3 star recruits. A program with UConn's ought to be able to land guys like these without breaking a sweat every day of the week...I mean we out-recruited Rhode island and Iowa State for Samuels. If you want to give Ollie credit for Omar Calhoun, ok, but keep in mind, again we're talking about a top 35 guy, not top 10. So he's a pretty good recruiter, but he was recruiting for UConn and Jim Calhoun. Going forward there is still UConn but no Calhoun. Interesting to see how he does now. In his years at UConn Facey, Samuels are the kind of players that Calhoun took to the next level fairly often. Can Ollie do the same? I guess we will find out...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
John Toner hired Jim Calhoun. He was the AD. Whatever his motivations, that was his job. Same goes for Manuel. For me, that's where the analysis begins and ends. He gets to decide. We get to judge the results.

Not really, it was a hire by committee that was nominally headed by Toner.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we be honest here? The AD is driven by what is right for the university. The coach has other reasons in addition to what is right for the university. If the good of the program was the prime motivation, he doesn't retire in mid-September.

Reaction Score
I think it's a matter of the job description and nothing more.

Will it be delegated? probably not
Will it go to committee? probably not
Will it be open for discussion? yes which is what most likely happened.

However there is one person alone that is charged with staffing the University's athletic head coach positions, and I don't think precedent will be established for the Men's bball head coaching position with a 'brand new' AD. It could then set up future cases for other open athletic positions, especially the women.

Calhoun got what he wanted, which is for Ollie to succeed him. To me the one year thing is camouflage and seemingly a compromise. No boss wants to be forced/bullied/pressured into a decision, at least not publicly. Ollie is our coach and that's all that matters (right now). Ollie will succeed.

So why is Manuel different than all the other ADs who announced coach-in-waiting? Does Gross have a problem with Boeheim appointing Mike Hopkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom