The ACC really is pretty dreadful | The Boneyard

The ACC really is pretty dreadful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It still amazes me that the ACC isn't constantly called out for being a weak sister athletically.

They had all of two teams in the final AP football poll and they currently have just two teams in the hoop polls. (And one of them is Miami - sell high there.)

The Big East has seven.

ESPN's cash truly let the weak eat the strong.

Reaction Score
It still amazes me that the ACC isn't constantly called out for being a weak sister athletically.

They had all of two teams in the final AP football poll and they currently have just two teams in the hoop polls. (And one of them is Miami - sell high there.)

The Big East has seven.

My guess is that, when this whole conference realignment mess is done, there will be some empty suits working for Bristol that lose their job. Because ESPN seems to have been the single decisive force in driving up the price for their content while simultaneously losing much of its exclusivity. Lose, lose.

Reaction Score
On FoxSports radio this morning they were talking about the ACC only having Dook and UM in the top 20 and "wow...when's the last time the ACC had only 2 teams in the top 20???" ....Ummmm...last season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC's reputation is so far above reality - the entire conference, football and basketball, seems to get credit for Duke and UNC on the hardwood.

Peel those two off and that mess is looking up at the A10.

Reaction Score
Come on Fishy, you don't get it yet? It's Mickey Mouse management. The mouse has turned ESPN into a cruise line production, into a production machine for children's movies.

They're treating ESPN like it was Pixar studios.

Except sports are not scripted entertainment, and fans can see through the propoganda. that's the fatal flaw. sports are not scripted, and when they are, the product changes and loses it's value - adn becomes the WWF.

For the near future though, disney profits are being entirely driven by espn subscriber fees, so nothing is going to change, until people start changing the channel to watch different things, and decide they don't want to pay so much for it.

Reaction Score
Go into the acc prepare to get violated at the dean dome and cameron,everyone gets jobbed there even instate teams like NC State.This is a 2nd tier league and you are buying the bs thinking you are clinging on to a life raft by taking an invite once it gets ravaged again. If anything Duke should be crawling to get in the C7 .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Came here to say this.

Even if we get into the B1G or the ACC, I honestly would have just preferred the 8 football team BE and 16 basketball team BE forever.

I would have liked a 9th football team. Equal in conf home games and one fewer OOC to schedule and I could have lived with it for a long time.

Navy as a football only or a 17th basketball team if they needed to go all in on Central Florida or Houston.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would have liked a 9th football team. Equal in conf home games and one fewer OOC to schedule and I could have lived with it for a long time.

Navy as a football only or a 17th basketball team if they needed to go all in on Central Florida or Houston.

Good call on the 9th football team for a balanced schedule.

Being in the Big East just really meant something to me. I know in football we weren't going to be competing with the Alabama's and Texas' of the world, but winning the Big East compromised of our geographical and historical rivals just was really everything I ever wanted in college football.

As far hoops, well, don't even get me started. Best basketball conference of all time and The Big East Championship at MSG takes a back seat to no sporting event in America.

Still shocking that it's all coming to an end.

U

UConn9604

Still shocking that it's all coming to an end.

The Big East's (Presidents') decision to keep us out of this year's tourney removed any and all remaining emotion that I had about our (hopeful) departure. As far as I'm concerned, we can't get out of there fast enough. The Catholics want to bite the hand that fed them for the last 25 years? Really?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East's (Presidents') decision to keep us out of this year's tourney removed any and all remaining emotion that I had about our (hopeful) departure. As far as I'm concerned, we can't get out of there fast enough. The Catholics want to bite the hand that fed them for the last 25 years? Really?

Everyone you could be mad at already left.

Reaction Score
ACC blows. If we have any choices, I really hope we don't end up in the ACC. I have really developed a hate for schools like Pitt, SU and UL. Those guys who screwed you at the first opportunity and they did.

Reaction Score
ACC blows. If we have any choices, I really hope we don't end up in the ACC. I have really developed a hate for schools like Pitt, SU and UL. Those guys who screwed you at the first opportunity and they did.

Hatred is good for a rivalry. I'd think you'd want to play those schools

Reaction Score

The Big East has seven.

I know people like to blame ESPN here, but are they really at fault? They did not make Miami leave. Miami wanted to leave. And Virginia Tech and Boston College could get out fast enough to follow Miami out the door. That really had nothing to do with ESPN.

It was only when Syracuse and Pitt left that ESPN started to become a factor. Except the Big East apaprently turned down an offer that would have paid those schools very similar to the ACC. So it's not like that's ESPN's fault. It was only after turning down the proposed deal that people started blaming ESPN. And now the ACC will end up with Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville.

Reaction Score
I know people like to blame ESPN here, but are they really at fault? They did not make Miami leave. Miami wanted to leave. And Virginia Tech and Boston College could get out fast enough to follow Miami out the door. That really had nothing to do with ESPN.

It was only when Syracuse and Pitt left that ESPN started to become a factor. Except the Big East apaprently turned down an offer that would have paid those schools very similar to the ACC. So it's not like that's ESPN's fault. It was only after turning down the proposed deal that people started blaming ESPN. And now the ACC will end up with Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville.

Number One ... it's Fun to have an Evil Austin Powers type scapegoat.

But, I firmly believe that ... somewhere ... there is a War Room with a Strategy to all this awful movement in Conferences. And, it was extraordinarily badly played. The Content Costs are way up. The Sport is hurt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The ACC's reputation is so far above reality - the entire conference, football and basketball, seems to get credit for Duke and UNC on the hardwood.

Peel those two off and that mess is looking up at the A10.

Sorta makes the Syracuse and Pitt moves make sense. Add Louisville and they look pretty good. State is a good team and may get back in the Top 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom