The ACC is thrilled with the new additions... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The ACC is thrilled with the new additions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the travel thing gets overblown. Both in terms of expense, and how it affects teams. I just looked at scores from the Pioneer Conference in the FCS. They have teams from Marist to San Diego, and everywhere in between. How the hell do they do it?

By being a football-only conference, mostly.

Reaction Score
They "made it" only because they were at the top level in football much longer.

Is it possible Notre Dame might have influenced the addition of Louisville? UL is the closest school in the ACC to ND.

Then UConn will never get in a top conference with this sort of thinking. This business of programs having been around longer is getting old (no play on words intended). These teams will always have "been around longer" even 30 years from now.

Reaction Score
Then UConn will never get in a top conference with this sort of thinking. This business of programs having been around longer is getting old (no play on words intended). These teams will always have "been around longer" even 30 years from now.
Well, that's the type of thinking we've been up against. Traditionalists. It will eventually change, as college football is now market driven.

Reaction Score
It's funny; I was thinking about a variation of this comment myself. It seems that every team....and I mean EVERY team....was better under the Big East name than they were after leaving, including new additions that never played a down for the Big East. It must be the Big East curse. The list is crazy:

WVU - WTF???
Miami - Maybe this is the year they turn it around, but my word, they haven't been even close to being the same "U" that they were in the Big East
Va Tech - See the above comment.
BC - With the exception of the Matt Ryan flash, they were certainly better off in the Big East.
Pitt - See Upstater's comment.
Syracuse - Headed back to pre-Marrone days?

It's amazing to me that all of the teams were stronger together than they were apart...

Also to note:
TCU* - They went from BCS bowl quality to 3-4 in a hurry.
Boise* - 4-2 is not horrible, but I think the bloom is off the rose a little.
San Diego State* - Middle of the road, which I suppose isn't a change from what they were. Maybe the curse has hit them the least.
And BC was only good as long as their players were recruited while they were in the BE.After that crop graduated they seemed to run out of talent picked up in there 1st ACC years !Seems the kids in the NE preferred playing for them when they were BE.SU now seems to be scratching the midwest for recruits!?!

Reaction Score
And BC was only good as long as their players were recruited while they were in the BE.After that crop graduated they seemed to run out of talent picked up in there 1st ACC years !Seems the kids in the NE preferred playing for them when they were BE.SU now seems to be scratching the midwest for recruits!?!
Of course it helped that they had a great QB playing for them at the end of their run in the BE and their first year in the ACC. Their recent results are a reflection of two really poor recruiters that BC hired as head coach over the last 6 years. Adazzio appears to be breaking that mold right now. This is why the next Uconn HC needs to be engaged and driven as a recruiter and has to be someone that can sell a vision, the facilities and the value of the degree. This even harder of a sell that RE had. At least RE had the BE's BCS guaranty as a real goal when he started. Selling the AAC is a much harder gig.

Reaction Score
Of course it helped that they had a great QB playing for them at the end of their run in the BE and their first year in the ACC. Their recent results are a reflection of two really poor recruiters that BC hired as head coach over the last 6 years. Adazzio appears to be breaking that mold right now. This is why the next Uconn HC needs to be engaged and driven as a recruiter and has to be someone that can sell a vision, the facilities and the value of the degree. This even harder of a sell that RE had. At least RE had the BE's BCS guaranty as a real goal when he started. Selling the AAC is a much harder gig.
I agree that it was probably a combination of the 2 things but Jags wasn't too bad a recruiter and some established programs just sell themselves esp those with parochial school ties like BC!Adazzio was even raking in pretty fair recruits at Temple!I wonder if he would leave BC for here now after just starting his BC revive or if we even want him?I'm not even sure if UConn can get better right now given our conference?2/2.5m should get us a young comer who can sell the kids on the future though!We have to watch whose hot and ambitious with connections because theres never gonna be a more important hire!Can't mess this one up.

Reaction Score
I agree that it was probably a combination of the 2 things but Jags wasn't too bad a recruiter and some established programs just sell themselves esp those with parochial school ties like BC!Adazzio was even raking in pretty fair recruits at Temple!I wonder if he would leave BC for here now after just starting his BC revive or if we even want him?I'm not even sure if UConn can get better right now given our conference?2/2.5m should get us a young comer who can sell the kids on the future though!We have to watch whose hot and ambitious with connections because theres never gonna be a more important hire!Can't mess this one up.
Jags was not a good recruiter. The number of recruits he had at BC that left school is long (QB Davis, RB Harris, RB Haden, WR Phillips - now at Uconn, a number of DB's, OL and DL if I recall correctly). His one great recruit was Keuchly and there are questions about Jags involvement on that one. He was a decent game day coach and was smart enough to hire a good OC but part of his downfall was how disconnected he was with recruiting and how much he disliked it. If he was any good, he would have a HC position at another school by now.

Addazzio is not leaving BC for Uconn. And that was not my suggestion. But Uconn needs someone with that energy and passion to recruit. Schiano had/has the passion (but lacks the game day coaching skills), Brian Kelly has it, Petrino has it (along with a bunch of other baggage). Uconn needs to identify it and hire it like Lville, RU and Cinci did, It elevates the program quickly.

Reaction Score
Jags was not a good recruiter. The number of recruits he had at BC that left school is long (QB Davis, RB Harris, RB Haden, WR Phillips - now at Uconn, a number of DB's, OL and DL if I recall correctly). His one great recruit was Keuchly and there are questions about Jags involvement on that one. He was a decent game day coach and was smart enough to hire a good OC but part of his downfall was how disconnected he was with recruiting and how much he disliked it. If he was any good, he would have a HC position at another school by now.

Addazzio is not leaving BC for Uconn. And that was not my suggestion. But Uconn needs someone with that energy and passion to recruit. Schiano had/has the passion (but lacks the game day coaching skills), Brian Kelly has it, Petrino has it (along with a bunch of other baggage). Uconn needs to identify it and hire it like Lville, RU and Cinci did, It elevates the program quickly.
I like how Cinncy b4 the last hire(Tubs)keeps finding small school gems(Kelly,Jones) who become hot items?We mght learn something from them.I think for some reason the MAC seems to pump them out in the "Cradle of coaches" but lately the big boys were looking to the former BE for top coaches!I think SBs coach or even Ambrose is worth a looksee?I mean,whats really out there before late season fires?@btw Im not to familiar with Jags recruiting resume but did'nt realize he was that bad!!

Reaction Score
Pitt trailing Old Dominion 10-0. Combined today the two newbies are down 66-0!
They get a Louisville team next year that is not quite as good as UCF.

Cue comments about how bad UConn football is....

Are you saying the ACC made a mistake by not taking UConn? Or that they made a mistake by expanding?

Neither is true by the fact that Cuse and Lville lost a game this weekend.

Reaction Score
Are you saying the ACC made a mistake by not taking UConn? Or that they made a mistake by expanding?

Neither is true by the fact that Cuse and Lville lost a game this weekend.

Yes, they made a mistake by not taking UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom