The ACC is thrilled with the new additions... | The Boneyard

The ACC is thrilled with the new additions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitt trailing Old Dominion 10-0. Combined today the two newbies are down 66-0!
They get a Louisville team next year that is not quite as good as UCF.

Cue comments about how bad UConn football is....

Reaction Score
Point is: the ACC was never a good football conference, and will never be a good football conference. Now basketball is a whole other story.

Reaction Score
Well they have three teams in the top 10. Two go head to head tonight. They are not the SEC or PAC 10, but they are not appreciably worse than the Big 12 or Big 10.

Reaction Score
Well they have three teams in the top 10. Two go head to head tonight. They are not the SEC or PAC 10, but they are not appreciably worse than the Big 12 or Big 10.

B1G is way down... but the ACC has been bad over the years. Not convinced at all by Miami... but FSU looks like the real deal. Clemson will disappoint once again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Pitt trailing Old Dominion 10-0. Combined today the two newbies are down 66-0!
They get a Louisville team next year that is not quite as good as UCF.

Cue comments about how bad UConn football is....

It's funny; I was thinking about a variation of this comment myself. It seems that every team....and I mean EVERY team....was better under the Big East name than they were after leaving, including new additions that never played a down for the Big East. It must be the Big East curse. The list is crazy:

WVU - WTF???
Miami - Maybe this is the year they turn it around, but my word, they haven't been even close to being the same "U" that they were in the Big East
Va Tech - See the above comment.
BC - With the exception of the Matt Ryan flash, they were certainly better off in the Big East.
Pitt - See Upstater's comment.
Syracuse - Headed back to pre-Marrone days?

It's amazing to me that all of the teams were stronger together than they were apart...

Also to note:
TCU* - They went from BCS bowl quality to 3-4 in a hurry.
Boise* - 4-2 is not horrible, but I think the bloom is off the rose a little.
San Diego State* - Middle of the road, which I suppose isn't a change from what they were. Maybe the curse has hit them the least.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Realistic or not. It's a better conversation than Petrino or Kiffin. Take heed young Yarders, take heed.

Reaction Score
It's funny; I was thinking about a variation of this comment myself. It seems that every team....and I mean EVERY team....was better under the Big East name than they were after leaving, including new additions that never played a down for the Big East. It must be the Big East curse. The list is crazy:

WVU - WTF???
Miami - Maybe this is the year they turn it around, but my word, they haven't been even close to being the same "U" that they were in the Big East
Va Tech - See the above comment.
BC - With the exception of the Matt Ryan flash, they were certainly better off in the Big East.
Pitt - See Upstater's comment.
Syracuse - Headed back to pre-Marrone days?

It's amazing to me that all of the teams were stronger together than they were apart...

Also to note:
TCU* - They went from BCS bowl quality to 3-4 in a hurry.
Boise* - 4-2 is not horrible, but I think the bloom is off the rose a little.
San Diego State* - Middle of the road, which I suppose isn't a change from what they were. Maybe the curse has hit them the least.

Travel is one explanation, different recruiting territories, coaches, etc.

As for Boise St., it was a miracle for them to sustain it as long as they did. It had to come back to earth eventually. TCU is in the heart of a great recruiting territory, but I wonder if they pulled the reins back a bit on purpose, because there was a lot of talk of a program run amok. They are like UNC Southwest.

But I'll say it again. The ACC is the preeminent basketball conference. It will leave the B1G sucking wind.

Reaction Score
I mean, they could have done worse.....

Yes, indeed. But when you're bad, you're bad. It don't matter.

When you're good though--basketball--that matters.

Reaction Score
I think Florida having to travel so far "North" to Mizzou today as the excuse for losing is the funniest and most telling aspect of CR so far. These "bubble" teams protect themselves from traveling North and it's a real reason some want no part of us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ACC has 3 top ten teams and VPI turned out pretty well too.

It's not the SEC? Only the Pac 12 can even dream of hanging with them. The Big 12, Big 10 and ACC are all the same.

Oh and Pitt is beating ODU but on the Boneyard games are like 10 minutes long.

Reaction Score
Travel is one explanation, different recruiting territories, coaches, etc.

As for Boise St., it was a miracle for them to sustain it as long as they did. It had to come back to earth eventually. TCU is in the heart of a great recruiting territory, but I wonder if they pulled the reins back a bit on purpose, because there was a lot of talk of a program run amok. They are like UNC Southwest.

But I'll say it again. The ACC is the preeminent basketball conference. It will leave the B1G sucking wind.

The thing with Boise, and Houston to a lesser extent, is that they had superior college QBs for a long time that won a lot of games. Kellen Moore, and Case Keenum hide a lot of warts and may make you look stronger as a program than you really are. It is why I am somewhat hopeful, that if we get the line situation some what stabalized, we could be competitive sooner rather than later. Football is so much about superior QB play. We need to find a way to keep our guy upright.

Reaction Score
If I was the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, I'd make sure we completely tank the 2015 season. Jameis Winston goes #1 in the 2016 draft. Bring in Tebow for the 2014 season.

Reaction Score
The acc should be thrilled, they just killed the big east, which means less tv competiton, really doesnt matter how good piit, cuse and ville are, the acc has a seat at the bcs table.

And that's the bottom line. You are totally correct. UConn fans can bash these other programs, but they made it. They are in a superior football - and Basketball conference.

Reaction Score
And that's the bottom line. You are totally correct. UConn fans can bash these other programs, but they made it. They are in a superior football - and Basketball conference.
They "made it" only because they were at the top level in football much longer.

Is it possible Notre Dame might have influenced the addition of Louisville? UL is the closest school in the ACC to ND.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They "made it" only because they were at the top level in football much longer.

Is it possible Notre Dame might have influenced the addition of Louisville? UL is the closest school in the ACC to ND.

Yes, Louisville is in the ACC because it's sort of physically close to Notre Dame. Jesus - how did we not see this.

Reaction Score
Yes, Louisville is in the ACC because it's sort of physically close to Notre Dame. Jesus - how did we not see this.
Travel made easier. Look at WVU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Travel made easier. Look at WVU.

If this kind of lunacy helps get you through the night, I don't want to spoil it for you.

Reaction Score
If this kind of lunacy helps get you through the night, I don't want to spoil it for you.
I asked a question. Calm down. My life doesn't revolve around sports, either. Just entertainment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I asked a question. Calm down. My life doesn't revolve around sports, either. Just entertainment.

Well if you want to ask absurd questions step it up.

Did Notre Dame want Louisville instead of UConn because they are scared in women's basketball?!

Reaction Score

I think the travel thing gets overblown. Both in terms of expense, and how it affects teams. I just looked at scores from the Pioneer Conference in the FCS. They have teams from Marist to San Diego, and everywhere in between. How the hell do they do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom