The Absolute Worst Part.... | The Boneyard

The Absolute Worst Part....

Reaction Score
By far the most disappointing part of this after speaking to a few people on the way out, it’s just now expected...

We fought hard. Tried our best.

Lost to an unranked, young Syracuse team. It’s the norm these days...

Columbia takes uconn to overtime... back to back losses at HOME to Wagner and Northeastern last year. Monmouth takes us to overtime...

We

Are

UConn

Basketball

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
By far the most disappointing part of this after speaking to a few people on the way out, it’s just now expected...

We fought hard. Tried our best.

Lost to an unranked, young Syracuse team. It’s the norm these days...

Columbia takes uconn to overtime... back to back losses at HOME to Wagner and Northeastern last year. Monmouth takes us to overtime...

We

Are

UConn

Basketball

We are not the UConn Basketball you grew to love and probably never will be again. Stop whining like a little baby about it.

Reaction Score
We are not the UConn Basketball you grew to love and probably never will be again. Stop whining like a little baby about it.
Man yeah maybe we won't ever reach the heights that we had under JC but if we can get a new coach like Hurley in next year maybe we can at least finish in the top 3 of our own conference and make the tourney most years.

Reaction Score

I just can't understand why you're so intent on policing other people's opinion of what this program should be.

It's this weird juxtaposition of pollyanna-ish defense of KO (until recently) and the team's short-term potential with a fatalistic long-term view of the program. Just bizarre.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Man yeah maybe we won't ever reach the heights that we had under JC but if we can get a new coach like Hurley in next year maybe we can at least finish in the top 3 of our own conference and make the tourney most years.

I am being driven insane by the number of people who know with absolute certainty that we will get a good coach. No, you have absolutely no way of knowing that. There are posters here talking up coaches who have no proven track record of success at higher levels than the MAAC, Big South, and Horizon League. A change may have to be made, but man are you folks in for a rude awakening when even the scenario you described becomes tough.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I just can't understand why you're so intent on policing other people's opinion of what this program should be.

It's this weird juxtaposition of pollyanna-ish defense of KO (until recently) and the team's short-term potential with a fatalistic long-term view of the program. Just bizarre.
LOL.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am being driven insane by the number of people who know with absolute certainty that we will get a good coach. No, you have absolutely no way of knowing that. There are posters here talking up coaches who have no proven track record of success at higher levels than the MAAC, Big South, and Horizon League. A change may have to be made, but man are you folks in for a rude awakening when even the scenario you described becomes tough.
I'd bet my life savings we could pick off a P5 coach from a non-traditional power like Texas A&M or Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Stair I know you are an KO supporter but to think no other coach can do better than him at UCONN right now is just delusional. It isn't a guarantee for success but we have enough support and history to make it happen. Not sure why you have no faith in the administration to make the right choice. I bleed blue and white and won't give up on my Alma Mater.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd bet my life savings we could pick off a P5 coach from a non-traditional power like Texas A&M or Minnesota.
Your life savings must not be much as you don't mind giving away whatever you may have.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

It's not bizarre. It's totally rational.

The university went all in on KO and welding his name to the program's brand. The public consciousness's association of poor performance, recruiting, the transfer woes, rumors of off the court issues...all of that is tied to the program. Not just Ollie. UConn extended him, UConn's marketing efforts rendered him the face of the program, UConn kept him around while certainly being aware of the issues being discussed in PMs...

There is no reset button once he leaves; the damage sticks around. The rest of the basketball world does not see the historical success and tradition of the program in anywhere near the same light as diehard fans posting on an internet forum.

I think many of the people who claim to skewer the "blind faith" and "pollyanna-ism" of people who support(ed) KO are guilty of the exact same thing when it comes to their views of the post-Ollie era. They refuse to acknowledge the permanence of the last three years and how much it has toxified the program.

I was all in on Ollie because a) I knew that the only way those issues could go away were if he fixed them himself, and b) I think that the fanbase as a whole collectively underrates how much of a detriment the conference is in terms of attracting a coach who could meet the fanbase's standards (because, let's be real - people will not be happy with merely finishing in the top 3 of the conference and making the tourney. It will always be blue-blood status). It was in his hands. Unfortunately it looks like he is not up to the task.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Your life savings must not be much as you don't mind giving away whatever you may have.
You realize Tubby Smith went from Texas Tech to Memphis? Right?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stair I know you are an KO supporter but to think no other coach can do better than him were UCONN is right now is just delusional. It isn't a guarantee for success but we have enough support and history to make it happen. Not sure why you have no faith in the administration to make the right choice. I bleed blue and white and won't give up on my Alma Matter.

I'm on record multiple times as stating he should go if he misses the tourney this year. I'm not arguing that Ollie should be kept, I am just worried that people are not allowing for the possibility that the next few years will be just as unbearable in similar ways. "We have enough support and history" is nowhere near convincing for me. We certainly don't have the support, fan-wise or financially (Ollie's contract made sense at the time but a similar one is not viable due to the anticipated massive decreases in revenue relative to the P5), and I'm of the mind that people outside of this fanbase don't much care about the history at this point. Athletics is a "what have you done for me lately" business.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Congratulations, you're now broke.

Reaction Score
I'm on record multiple times as stating he should go if he misses the tourney this year. I'm not arguing that Ollie should be kept, I am just worried that people are not allowing for the possibility that the next few years will be just as unbearable in similar ways. "We have enough support and history" is nowhere near convincing for me. We certainly don't have the support, fan-wise or financially (Ollie's contract made sense at the time but a similar one is not viable due to the anticipated massive decreases in revenue relative to the P5), and I'm of the mind that people outside of this fanbase don't much care about the history at this point. Athletics is a "what have you done for me lately" business.
Yeah but I think UCONN is ready to move on and still make a big splash to help our fading athletic department. We should see what happens at the end of this year as I see no way KO stays unless we make the tourney or just miss it after getting over 20 wins. I know a pipe dream based on the current roster.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yeah but I think UCONN is ready to move on and still make a big splash to help our fading athletic department. We should see what happens at the end of this year as I see no way KO stays unless we make the tourney or just miss it after getting over 20 wins. I know a pipe dream based on the current roster.

It'd be great if we were rolling in cash and/or had big-time donors who were the type of people to make moves. Unfortunately, neither is the case.

Reaction Score
You realize Tubby Smith went from Texas Tech to Memphis? Right?
8.10 9 3 7 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion
2005-06 Kentucky SEC 35 22 13 .629 13.12 8.88 9 7 NCAA Tournament
2006-07 Kentucky SEC 34 22 12 .647 17.12 11.41 22 20 NCAA Tournament
2007-08 Minnesota Big Ten 34 20 14 .588 10.27 6.50
2008-09 Minnesota Big Ten 33 22 11 .667 11.32 7.19 18 NCAA Tournament
2009-10 Minnesota Big Ten 35 21 14 .600 15.64 7.32 25 22 NCAA Tournament
2010-11 Minnesota Big Ten 31 17 14 .548 11.75 9.79 14
2011-12 Minnesota Big Ten 38 23 15 .605 10.70 7.89
2012-13 Minnesota Big Ten 34 21 13 .618 16.83 10.31 8 NCAA Tournament
2013-14 Texas Tech Big 12 32 14 18 .438 8.61 8.61
2014-15 Texas Tech Big 12 32 13 19 .406 3.77 7.20
2015-16 Texas Tech Big 12 32 19 13 .594 12.41 10.25 NCAA Tournament
2016-17 Memphis AAC 32 19 13 .594 6.47 3.19
2017-18 Memphis AAC 6 4 2 .667 1.63 2.29

The most wins Tubby Smith has had since 2005-2006 is 23. He was about to get fired from Texas Tech. Memphis him a favor.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
We know what we have in our coach and it's really bad, it's amazing you continue to pretend Ollie is bigger than this program. It's the mentality of a loser. Hurley is right down the road, makes a third of what Ollie makes, coaches at a wasteland where he has completely turned the program around.

Reaction Score
We know what we have in our coach and it's really bad, it's amazing you continue to pretend Ollie is bigger than this program. It's the mentality of a loser. Hurley is right down the road, makes a third of what Ollie makes, coaches at a wasteland where he has completely turned the program around.
Don't reply to Stair he thinks UCONN is never going to be good again.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We just had a big donation to UCONN. It was to the academic side but none the less they are out there. He made a big donation previously to our basketball practice facility.

UConn Receives $22.5 Million Gift for Entrepreneurship and Innovation

Well yeah, but the donations are coming from people are concerned with academics, not basketball coaching. Mike Melio is the biggest-name basketball guy I can think of and he will still be on the Ollie train 30 years from now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom