The ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT hire..replacing Jerry Martin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT hire..replacing Jerry Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to live in Mississippi if you had a choice? The griping on that board over his leaving is music to my ears.

On the coast? Sounds pretty good right now compared to our minus whatever wind chills.

That said, they've never won any football championships either, so "hey you, get off of my cloud" applies. They do play baseball pretty well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On the coast? Sounds pretty good right now compared to our minus whatever wind chills.

That said, they've never won any football championships either, so "hey you, get off of my cloud" applies. They do play baseball pretty well.

Starkville ain't exactly the coast of MS.

Tomorrow they're waking up to 15 degrees with a wind chill of 7. Hardly board shorts and tank top weather.

Heck, I'm less than a mile from the Gulf of Mexico and it's going to be in the mid-20's with wind chills in the low teens. Not negative but not exactly golfing weather either.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Biloxi is the only acceptable town in Mississippi in which to reside.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing earth shattering, just FYI. Not only do some of the players already like the new S&C coach but also some new state of the art equipment. This added to our so called state of the art facilities. (He found a few pieces missing.) Also upgrade in nutrition to D-1 level.
Just say'n...

Reaction Score
With all the change this year it only makes sense that it got down to this level and it is for the best. It's a total reboot. This Fall we line em up and start knocking them down. All aboard the Energy Train.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nothing earth shattering, just FYI. Not only do some of the players already like the new S&C coach but also some new state of the art equipment. This added to our so called state of the art facilities. (He found a few pieces missing.) Also upgrade in nutrition to D-1 level.
Just say'n...

That last part irritates me. I understand that budgets can affect facilities and equipment. But having the food needed for athletes is something every school should have on hand.

I'm curious as to how much of an upgrade was needed.

Reaction Score
That last part irritates me. I understand that budgets can affect facilities and equipment. But having the food needed for athletes is something every school should have on hand.

We shouldn't make assumptions that things were not up to par for D1 football before Diaco and the new S&C came in. They merely saw some things they liked at their previous schools that were not at UConn. It is great that the guys have 24 hour access to Power Bars and Muscle Milk, but that is not earth shattering. The guys likely had the same access to those foods during meals which could be taken to their rooms. Now they don't have to save them for later and have FT access which is great, but not an indication that their nutrition was lacking before.

It is expected that the new S&C coach would tweak some things based on how he came up throughout his career no different than if a company replaced a manager or Executive. It doesn't mean the prior regime didn't do things right, just that the new team has their own ideas based on their experiences. If you have seen the UConn weight room before the coaching changes you will know that it was already state of the art. Jerry Martin was not dated in his methodologies and actually patented a lot of strength equipment that is very well received. For example he designed the Power Racks in the football weight room which are as good as it gets and have an electronic monitoring system for tracking each players progress. Each Power Rack alone is $10,000 and they have about 20 among many other state of the art S&C machines.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I know when Brian Kelly went to ND, one of the first things he did was address "training table" issue - giving the football players special, high nutritional meals - like he had a Cincy.

I imagine CBD is doing the same thing here.

Reaction Score
Connecticut is an Employment at Will state. Either party can terminate their association with the other for any reason. Cause only come in to play when the person tries to collect unemployment benefits. Even in a contract situation (e.g. the former "coach") termination provisions prior to the conclusion of the contracted term are spelled out. Most time that includes a buy-out clause, which also determines eligibility for post-employment benefits.

Being a contractor is different than having an employment contract. A contractor is basically akin to being self-employed and you are a vendor of the company. At the same time, the company has little input as to how you do your job, only the end result. In other words, one agree to the goals. How one achieves those goals is up to the contractor. This is just one of the rules outlined by the DOL to determine employer/employee relationship. I doubt very highly that the position of strength & conditioning coach is subject to an employment contract or can be considered a contractor.

I was in NYC. Same, same?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was in NYC. Same, same?
If I understand you correctly, then yes, it is. New York is also an At-Will state. Most states are, but then allow for certain exceptions to the doctrine (e.g. trade unions with collective bargaining powers).

Reaction Score
If I understand you correctly, then yes, it is. New York is also an At-Will state. Most states are, but then allow for certain exceptions to the doctrine (e.g. trade unions with collective bargaining powers).

Thank you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We shouldn't make assumptions that things were not up to par for D1 football before Diaco and the new S&C came in. They merely saw some things they liked at their previous schools that were not at UConn. It is great that the guys have 24 hour access to Power Bars and Muscle Milk, but that is not earth shattering. The guys likely had the same access to those foods during meals which could be taken to their rooms. Now they don't have to save them for later and have FT access which is great, but not an indication that their nutrition was lacking before.

It is expected that the new S&C coach would tweak some things based on how he came up throughout his career no different than if a company replaced a manager or Executive. It doesn't mean the prior regime didn't do things right, just that the new team has their own ideas based on their experiences. If you have seen the UConn weight room before the coaching changes you will know that it was already state of the art. Jerry Martin was not dated in his methodologies and actually patented a lot of strength equipment that is very well received. For example he designed the Power Racks in the football weight room which are as good as it gets and have an electronic monitoring system for tracking each players progress. Each Power Rack alone is $10,000 and they have about 20 among many other state of the art S&C machines.

I'm aware of UConn's facilities and Martin's resume.

And I'm fully on board with modifications and changes by the new regime.

I was specifically referring to the phrase "upgrade in nutrition to D1 level".

It's one thing to say they were changing the way nutrition was handled. That's a lateral term. I don't like hearing "upgrade" which means the previous level wasn't at the D1 level.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
I was specifically referring to the phrase "upgrade in nutrition to D1 level". It's one thing to say they were changing the way nutrition was handled. That's a lateral term. I don't like hearing "upgrade" which means the previous level wasn't at the D1 level.

What's the likelihood, enhancement at the 1-A level is a more accurate portrayal? Highly likely, I strongly suspect!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What's the likelihood, enhancement at the 1-A level is a more accurate portrayal? Highly likely, I strongly suspect!

Which goes to my original comment on the subject "I'm curious as to how much of an upgrade was needed.".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Under Edsall we had quite a few linemen on both sides of the ball who bulked up (with solid weight) considerably over the years (Reyes is the most recent that comes to mind, he added ~ 65lbs in his time here). The subsequent regime was far less strict on influencing players towards S&C, and from what I understand, left goals entirely up to the players, as opposed to having clear goals and benchmarks spelled out for them as they were under RE.

My guess (merely a guess) is that we will again have many things (including nutritional guidance and supplements) readily available and offered to the players (instead of the players needing to search it out as they needed to under P).

I'm sure that I am not the only one who noticed that a few of our offensive tackle recruits added very weight over two-three years with P here when in the past they each would have added 20-35 lbs.

Reaction Score
Which goes to my original comment on the subject "I'm curious as to how much of an upgrade was needed.".
Hey Chin, my mistake, although I did say nothing earth shattering I was a bit harsh with the D-1 comment. They were lacking a piece of equipment that is common at upper D-1 schools along with a nutrition table. Both are now in place. Obviously state of the art facilities, just a couple of parts missing that the previous regime must have not considered important.
Looks like the new S&C man is going to get what he wants from the players and for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom