The ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT hire..replacing Jerry Martin | The Boneyard

The ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT hire..replacing Jerry Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like Jerry Martin has or will be let go from his position as head strength & conditioning coach:

Desmond Conner ‏@desmondconner1m
With respect to strength/conditioning coach Jerry Martin n DFO Tim Pendergast being gone I heard fit wasn't good going fwd

He is one of the BEST at his craft in the counter, the weight room at the Schenkman Training Facility was built to Martin's EXACT specifications. He worked with the football program until PP brought in his guy from the Cowboys (this guy was on Martin's staff)..but took back the job after P's guy was let go. This hire will be VERY important for the ENTIRE Athletic Department...as Martin is in charge of Strength & Conditioning for all athletic teams at UCONN. I wonder why he was let go....

Reaction Score
Since his position historically touched much more than just Football - this had to be a Warde Manuel decision. Resistant to change? Contract Up?

As mentioned in another thread - he should have no problems finding another job/challenge based on his resume.

Reaction Score
That is disappointing to hear. Jerry is one of the best and I am curious why he would not be kept on with the football team since he has such a deep hook with his patents, development of the S&C facility, etc.

In other news related to UConn Football our former head football strength coach, Aaron Hillman, was just awarded the Master S&C Coach which is the highest award you can get in collegiate S&C. He was with us under Holtz and left for a spot at ND back in the late 90's. He was football only, but I am sure he learned quite a bit from Martin who helped out a lot with the football team back then.

Reaction Score
Hard to find a guy with a better resume.

The strength and conditioning program for the University of Connecticut is under the supervision of UConn Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Jerry Martin.

Martin is a Registered Strength and Conditioning Coach with Distinction (RSCC*D) from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) as well as a Certified Level I Coach from the Unites States Weightlifting (USAW). He is entering his 20th year at the University of Connecticut and has had previous experience at Yale University and at Syracuse University.

He has been a finalist for the National Strength Coach of the Year Award (1994, 2001) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association and received the prestigious award in 2004. He has also been the Head Strength Coach for the USA Women's Field Hockey Team that took the bronze medal in the 1994 World Cup.

Coach Martin earned his master's degree in exercise training and testing. He is also a conference speaker at both the regional and national levels

Reaction Score
good post here guys... S&C is huge for the program... That's where the magic happens before they get out on the field and perform... The choice for the new guy is in HCBD's hands... Out with the old in with the new... I'm sure whoever's next has the bar set pretty high (maybe even higher than we're accustomed to, which is probably a good thing for us going fwd)

Reaction Score
From another thread.

Still need a strength and conditioning guy. Mike Golden was at UCONN and went with Skippy to SC, EC and USF. He was with Spurrier for awhile too. Ended up at UMASS. Would be a good get.

Reaction Score
My thing is that this hire won't only be about football. Jerry Martin was in charger of strength and conditioning for the entire athletic department. We have won a LOT of games/matches and national titles under his watch. This hire will be a HUGE one for Warde Manuel...maybe more important than any coaching hire.

Reaction Score
From another thread.

Still need a strength and conditioning guy. Mike Golden was at UCONN and went with Skippy to SC, EC and USF. He was with Spurrier for awhile too. Ended up at UMASS. Would be a good get.

We deserve better than Golden as a retread. He was lucky in that he got a job he really wasn't qualified for at the time and was able to ride the Holt coattails for many years. Hillman left and they filled the spot with Golden who was a HS strength coach with no real athletic resume of his own and a part time caterer locally. Seemed like a desperate hire at the time and if you look at the resumes of the guys directly before and after it is night and day.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Jerry Martin was awesome, there's no denying that. However, there is a TON of talent in the field of S&C right now. I believe we'll find a very capable replacement.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We deserve better than Golden as a retread. He was lucky in that he got a job he really wasn't qualified for at the time and was able to ride the Holt coattails for many years. Hillman left and they filled the spot with Golden who was a HS strength coach with no real athletic resume of his own and a part time caterer locally. Seemed like a desperate hire at the time and if you look at the resumes of the guys directly before and after it is night and day.
I'm not going to say I support any S&C coach since I know nothing of the position or qualifications necessary, but I'm struggling with your reply. Seeing as he is in his early 40’s and has worked for the same coach for a number of years, I’m not sure that retread is the right term to use. He followed a coach that had great success here to other positions. No different than me working for a boss I had previously because I enjoyed working for him. I agree getting to UConn after a short stint at Bloomfield is a head scratcher, but a quick check of his resume on the UMass page shows someone who has a vast array of experience with supporting multiple sports in addition to football, NFL combines, powerlifting championships and is a member of 4 different associations.
Bottom line for any coach is does it translate on the field. Too quote the page “At ECU, Golden was often credited by Holtz for playing an integral role in turning around the program which had won just three games in 25 outings prior to 2005.” He kept taking him with him for a reason, so he must think he’s good at what he does. I just don’t think how he got his start is of any relevance to whether he is qualified now.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Martin really went anywhere. He still is listed as head of strength and conditioning at UConn for the entire AD. It sounds more like Diaco just wants his own guy for football specifically. Which I have mixed feelings about... but it's his prerogative.

I'm not sure a tweet from Des should be treated as gospel. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Martin really went anywhere. He still is listed as head of strength and conditioning at UConn for the entire AD. It sounds more like Diaco just wants his own guy for football specifically. Which I have mixed feelings about... but it's his prerogative.

I'm not sure a tweet from Des should be treated as gospel. ;)

This helped stoke it:

TheFatWhiteGuyJan 08, 1:55pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn has fired 2x National Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year Jerry Martin after 20 years in Storrs

TheFatWhiteGuyJan 08, 5:47pm via Twitter for iPhone
Absolute shame regarding Coach Martin's termination, he was an integral part of the UConn Football transition and culture

TheFatWhiteGuyJan 08, 5:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
the GENERATIONS of players who came through his weight room would agree, he didn't teach us X&O's, but how to set a goal and achieve it

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say I support any S&C coach since I know nothing of the position or qualifications necessary, but I'm struggling with your reply. Seeing as he is in his early 40’s and has worked for the same coach for a number of years, I’m not sure that retread is the right term to use. He followed a coach that had great success here to other positions. No different than me working for a boss I had previously because I enjoyed working for him. I agree getting to UConn after a short stint at Bloomfield is a head scratcher, but a quick check of his resume on the UMass page shows someone who has a vast array of experience with supporting multiple sports in addition to football, NFL combines, powerlifting championships and is a member of 4 different associations.
Bottom line for any coach is does it translate on the field. Too quote the page “At ECU, Golden was often credited by Holtz for playing an integral role in turning around the program which had won just three games in 25 outings prior to 2005.” He kept taking him with him for a reason, so he must think he’s good at what he does. I just don’t think how he got his start is of any relevance to whether he is qualified now.

He got in good with Holtz which was a very good career move. Having some personal experience with Hillman, Golden and Martin, he was not in their league by any means and that is essentially the jest of my post in comparing the former S&C coaches. Ultimately we should be able to get a better S&C coach. Interesting how his experience on the UMass website says Head S&C coach at Central Conn from 96-98 but he came from Bloomfield High the 20 months prior to working with Holtz in 98. Also interesting is how he went with Holtz to ECU and South Florida, but was not retained when Skip went to LTech. Maybe a mutual separation, but you would think going to UMass is not a step up (or even parallel) to where he had been.

Reaction Score
We didn't get Dan Mullen but...

MSU strength and conditioning coach Matt Balis leaving Bulldogs program for UConn
Read more: http://cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=30232#ixzz2pvWBepNM

>>Balis, who had been the strength and conditioning coach under Mullen since he was hired as the head coach at MSU, has often been referred by Mullen as "the most important part of his program" and has called him ""the best strength coach in the country".

Balis came to Starkville from Virginia, where he served two years as the strength and conditioning coach for the Cavaliers' football program. Prior to his stint in Charlottesville, Balis previously served as the assistant director of strength and conditioning at Florida in 2005 and 2006 when Mullen was the offensive coordinator with the Gators.<<

Reaction Score
We didn't get Dan Mullen but...

MSU strength and conditioning coach Matt Balis leaving Bulldogs program for UConn
Read more: http://cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=30232#ixzz2pvWBepNM

>>Balis, who had been the strength and conditioning coach under Mullen since he was hired as the head coach at MSU, has often been referred by Mullen as "the most important part of his program" and has called him ""the best strength coach in the country"<<

Wow! That is a HUGE get for Diaco.

He has really put together an impressive staff.

Reaction Score
Is he being blamed for the basketball team having a front court averaging like 165 lbs?

Reaction Score
As long as we're cleaning house, can we please can the PA announcer? He is the worst.

Honestly...you cant blame anything the PA announcer says on him. Its all the Athletic Marketing department.

I did PA at UConn in the mid-90's for a bunch of sports...I would have like a 10 page script of crap for a soccer game.

I, just like everyone else, cringe, when I hear the stupid cheers or ads he has to read....but its not on him

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Is he being blamed for the basketball team having a front court averaging like 165 lbs?
Hehehe... now that might be a good reason. My response would be every single husky NFL combine time and measurable... Still seems like he got a solid replacement.

Reaction Score
I was told that Jerry Martin was terminated from UConn and not just from being the S&C coach for the Football team. Very odd since he was a legacy guy having 20 years at UConn and alot of credentials for his work with all sports there.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you think all of his methods and techniques are logged somewhere? I know he had some input in how the latest equipment was set up (maybe even some patents?).

Wouldn't a qualified S&C coach be able to implement Martin's methods along with their own tweaks?

I doubt the new guy is going to come in and change the seniors way of working out. It's not like they were taught by a nobody.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I doubt the new guy is going to come in and change the seniors way of working out. It's not like they were taught by a nobody.

I expect the new guy to come in and run it his way from day 1.

This isn't rocket science -- lift this, this way, until this. Repeat this often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom