The Ability that Transcends Height | The Boneyard

The Ability that Transcends Height

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
"You can't teach height," is one of the most used basketball sayings. The sentiment accounts for why Taurasi was not a consensus #1 coming out of high school, and why that appears will be the case with Bueckers. If you combine height, which you "can't teach," with guard like abilities, well, just look at Stewart! Still, we know that Taurasi left all others in her class behind, both in college and the pros. After watching a few Bueckers videos I suspect the same will be true for her. This is because of the one ability that transcends height: the ability to make your teammates play even beyond the sum of their parts.

Taurasi could do this by infusing confidence in her teammates, so much so that even inexperienced players felt like they belonged and could beat anyone. Moore did this by infusing determination in her teammates, taking teams that previously underperformed with their talent and raising them to the level where they belonged. Stewart did this by infusing calm in her teammates, the type of calm that gets monkeys off your backs, such as when Notre Dame seemingly had our number.

I believe Bueckers has this transcendent ability, the most important ability of all imho, an ability that even in smaller measures accounts for why the best team (of talent) does not always win. The center that usurped some of Taurasi's thunder coming out of high school ended up at Tennessee and never won a championship (oh, the sweetness of it all). We are still in the hunt for Cardoso but, even if she goes somewhere else, I really, really, really am excited with the one player we have.

Plus, consider that Taurasi's backcourt and classmate was Conlon. I loved Conlon both for what she accomplished and the contrary evidence she represents whenever someone claims someone on our roster does not belong. But replace her with Muhl as the sidekick for a GOAT? To me it looks like we are getting a backcourt of Taurasi and Rizzotti. We know what Auriemma can do with the likes of a Rizzotti. We may be in for some absolutely breathtaking basketball.

Reaction Score
3 reallys...Who holds the record for most reallys? DT? BS?..MM...?We need a poll...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't teach height, but some height you can't teach. Just take a look at all of the tall and talented players that come out of high school, men and women, that never reach their potential. Many of them given some of the best teaching and conditioning at the college level.

Enough. Frankly, I'm ready for the season right now!

Reaction Score
"You can't teach height," is one of the most used basketball sayings. The sentiment accounts for why Taurasi was not a consensus #1 coming out of high school, and why that appears will be the case with Bueckers. If you combine height, which you "can't teach," with guard like abilities, well, just look at Stewart! Still, we know that Taurasi left all others in her class behind, both in college and the pros. After watching a few Bueckers videos I suspect the same will be true for her. This is because of the one ability that transcends height: the ability to make your teammates play even beyond the sum of their parts.

Taurasi could do this by infusing confidence in her teammates, so much so that even inexperienced players felt like they belonged and could beat anyone. Moore did this by infusing determination in her teammates, taking teams that previously underperformed with their talent and raising them to the level where they belonged. Stewart did this by infusing calm in her teammates, the type of calm that gets monkeys off your backs, such as when Notre Dame seemingly had our number.

I believe Bueckers has this transcendent ability, the most important ability of all imho, an ability that even in smaller measures accounts for why the best team (of talent) does not always win. The center that usurped some of Taurasi's thunder coming out of high school ended up at Tennessee and never won a championship (oh, the sweetness of it all). We are still in the hunt for Cardoso but, even if she goes somewhere else, I really, really, really am excited with the one player we have.

Plus, consider that Taurasi's backcourt and classmate was Conlon. I loved Conlon both for what she accomplished and the contrary evidence she represents whenever someone claims someone on our roster does not belong. But replace her with Muhl as the sidekick for a GOAT? To me it looks like we are getting a backcourt of Taurasi and Rizzotti. We know what Auriemma can do with the likes of a Rizzotti. We may be in for some absolutely breathtaking basketball.
The play that has always stood out for me with Stewie was against Rutgers. When Moriah had the ball stolen at H alfcourt, and Stewie was on the baseline. She chased the player down and swatted the shot out of bounds. With that play she let her team-mates know I have your back, we will win.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't teach height, but some height you can't teach. Just take a look at all of the tall and talented players that come out of high school, men and women, that never reach their potential. Many of them given some of the best teaching and conditioning at the college level.

Enough. Frankly, I'm ready for the season right now!
Couldn't agree with you more! Nuff said.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe Bueckers has this transcendent ability[ability to make players around you better], the most important ability of all imho, an ability that even in smaller measures accounts for why the best team (of talent) does not always win.
I agree that there a lot of indicators that Paige will be an exceptional player. I try not to project too much onto 18 year old kids, but I absolutely think she's special. We'll see.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
3 reallys...Who holds the record for most reallys? DT? BS?..MM...?We need a poll...

Actually, I'd kind of like a poll of which player gave you the most jaw dropping moments. You know moments when you stop stare at the screen and think "OMG did that just happen?" The usual suspects would be there, BS, MM, DT, SB, but for me I think it may be Gabby Williams. She was a crazy athletic kid for us. On a game by game basis she was the player I always tried to keep an eye on her because you never really knew what she'd do, but it was a good bet it would be spectacular. Strong, with crazy hops, and lighting quick reflexes. Amazing plays were an everyday thing for her.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With UConn’s talent and depth at the g/w/sf positions over the next 5 years or so, UConn doesn’t need Stewie-esque talent in the post. Liv will be a very good player. If Geno can bring in 1 or 2 solid C/PF’s over the next 2-3 years, the Huskies will continue to challenge for National Championships for years to come.

CL82

Reaction Score
With UConn’s talent and depth at the g/w/sf positions over the next 5 years or so, UConn doesn’t need Stewie-esque talent in the post. Liv will be a very good player. If Geno can bring in 1 or 2 solid C/PF’s over the next 2-3 years, the Huskies will continue to challenge for National Championships for years to come.
It's going to be exciting. Scoring in transition, spreading the floor with a lot of motion on offense and a scoring threat at every position. Think UConn basketball on steroids.

Reaction Score

DT was and is a person with abilities, personality, unlike any other human on the planet. With Talent that sets her apart. Accept we shall never see another DT.
Will Bueckers change the game as DT did? Only time will tell. Will she change the came at all--probably if she is all that is written about her.
I have exceptional hopes of Ania. She could transform this UConn team. With the cast of Characters she has going in the odds of her making a splash is very very good.
If Westebrook is allowed to play with her vast experience in Div 1 against good to better opponents another NC is a distinct probability.
ONO/CW/Danger is an exceptional core. Add Westbrook, Ania, that's an FF team. Uconn needs Touly and Evelyn to be all we have read they are this year. with that the FF maybe NC is a guarantee.
Buevkner is a HS kid as of now. Division 1 changes many things. If she has DT's Confidence maybe supreme confidence--she believed she could an would score when she had the ball--she was wrong at times--but if Paige can think that way--she could do well.
CW has a lot of that side of DT but--has that nice girls mentality that DT never had.

Reaction Score
You can't teach height---true. But if all States allow kids to be paid maybe we'll be buying them. Geno Shall bring aboard 2 bigs that are really talented next year one from Europe ---and maybe 2 more the next year.
Put that in the bank. I believe that much in Geno. and don't believe in paying kids you try to recruit.

Reaction Score

As you stated, truly great players not only make the rest of the team better, they make them believe they are better. I have watched several of Hopkins' games. Really good team but young. They played the #2 team in Minn, Wayzata, 3 times last season. They won every one but the first one was a struggle. Bueckers was her usual self, passing to wide open team mates who missed about every shot and Hopkins trailed at the half. Bueckers came out in the 2nd half and took over the game. Inside, outside, mid-range, she realized that it was up to her and she delivered. Her team mates looked like deer in headlights in the game. Understandable as one starter was a freshman and another key player was an 8th grader. But Bueckers was able to drag her team to a win against a very good (and bigger) Wayzata team. Hopkins had no trouble with Wayzata in the rest of their matchups last season. Her team had relaxed after Bueckers showed them they were good enough.
I was touting Bueckers 2 years ago and I am usually the one saying "it's way to soon to anoint anyone" to over-enthused fans. Bueckers may or may not lead UConn into another golden age but if Geno could order up a guard to his specs, she would look, play and act a lot like Bueckers. I wish there was a video of him dancing a jig ( or tarantella) when he got her verbal. I can't wait till Nov. when he can talk publicly about her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The play that has always stood out for me with Stewie was against Rutgers. When Moriah had the ball stolen at H alfcourt, and Stewie was on the baseline. She chased the player down and swatted the shot out of bounds. With that play she let her team-mates know I have your back, we will win.
Some classic plays:

Diana scoring from 65’ at the end of the half against Tennessee. Or her coming off a screen late in the game to sink a 3 to tie.

Maya running down the DePaul player, stealing the ball, and calling timeout. Or, in her first game ever against Rutgers, she makes two 3s to cut the lead from 9 to 3 and needs just one more touch.

When your teammate does things like that, you feel invincible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, I'd kind of like a poll of which player gave you the most jaw dropping moments. You know moments when you stop stare at the screen and think "OMG did that just happen?" The usual suspects would be there, BS, MM, DT, SB, but for me I think it may be Gabby Williams. She was a crazy athletic kid for us. On a game by game basis she was the player I always tried to keep an eye on her because you never really knew what she'd do, but it was a good bet it would be spectacular. Strong, with crazy hops, and lighting quick reflexes. Amazing plays were an everyday thing for her.
This is paraphrasing, but Geno on last year’s team: “They can’t rely on Gabby any more to make a super-human play to bail them out.” Gabby was a master of super-human plays.

Reaction Score
Can we quantify the difference between a really really good player vs. a very very good player?:cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Most players that make those around them better also have incredible court vision. Taurasi, Bird (Sue and Larry), Magic, I've marveled at how they see the whole court at once. Vandersloot made about a 20 foot blind, over-the-shoulder pass the other night.

From what I've seen, Bueckers has it too. I agree that the best of the best have court vision that can't be taught.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom