The "a different hero every night" team and the big shot? | The Boneyard

The "a different hero every night" team and the big shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Basketball is typically a star-driven game. You have an alpa, a star second banana, a third option, and supporting glue players to round out your rotation. This isn't to say a very balanced team with great chemistry can't win; the 2004 Detroit Pistons spring readily to mind. And certainly, having a balanced attack makes it more difficult to gameplan against you.

This year's UConn team seems to have exceptional chemistry and no ego. Tiff jumped into KML's arms after UConn beat Stanford. That's a senior recognizing the contributions of the freshman with no resentment. KML, meanwhile, is always looking to get the ball inside to Stef. She has the green light to shoot, but she's not a ball hog. And so on. Everyone seems to play very well together. That's all to the good.

I guess my question is this: in a game where UConn really needs a bucket this season, who gets the ball? Who's the primary option? Who's the secondary option if the primary doesn't have a shot? Who does the play run through? The one key advantage to the star-driven team is that these questions are clear. In baylor's case, the play is going to run through Sims initially. She will look to get the ball into Griner. If Griner's not in good position, Sims has the green light to pull up, drive, or pass to someone who's bound to be open if she has confidence the open player will hit the big shot. How do you see the big shot playing out if UConn needs it?

Reaction Score
Basketball is typically a star-driven game. You have an alpa, a star second banana, a third option, and supporting glue players to round out your rotation. This isn't to say a very balanced team with great chemistry can't win; the 2004 Detroit Pistons spring readily to mind. And certainly, having a balanced attack makes it more difficult to gameplan against you.

This year's UConn team seems to have exceptional chemistry and no ego. Tiff jumped into KML's arms after UConn beat Stanford. That's a senior recognizing the contributions of the freshman with no resentment. KML, meanwhile, is always looking to get the ball inside to Stef. She has the green light to shoot, but she's not a ball hog. And so on. Everyone seems to play very well together. That's all to the good.

I guess my question is this: in a game where UConn really needs a bucket this season, who gets the ball? Who's the primary option? Who's the secondary option if the primary doesn't have a shot? Who does the play run through? The one key advantage to the star-driven team is that these questions are clear. In baylor's case, the play is going to run through Sims initially. She will look to get the ball into Griner. If Griner's not in good position, Sims has the green light to pull up, drive, or pass to someone who's bound to be open if she has confidence the open player will hit the big shot. How do you see the big shot playing out if UConn needs it?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The most confident player. The best shooter. The kid with the career green light. The one who has done it several times at other levels. KML.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's my WAG: Bria will start off handling the ball and the two options will be a) Stef setting a high ball screen and Bria reading the defense, or b) looking for KML coming off a back screen. Baylor (and Griner) struggled a bit defending Tenn's high ball screens so against Baylor I might go with option a. Then again, involving Griner defensively is always risky because she's do darn big.

Bottom line: Bria and KML are this team's best big-shot takers and makers.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"How do you see the big shot playing out if UConn needs it? "

Whoever is open.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is not a player on the team who is afraid to take that shot which is not the same as saying who do you get the ball to for the shot. But any one of the first six has the confidence to take it including Kelly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno will always have a preference and run a set with the intention of getting a particular player an open shot. But it doesn't always work that way and the team should then look for someone with an open shot. In the 1st ND game last year, Geno wanted Kelly to set a screen for Maya and Bria was supposed to get the ball to Maya. Maya wasn't open but Kelly smartly rolled to the basket and both ND defenders stayed with Maya. Kelly was wide open under the basket for Bria's pass.

Reaction Score
KML.....even though she doesn't start, I have no doubt she will be on the floor (unless fouls is an issue) in that situation.
Bria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul