The 95th best recruiting class | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 95th best recruiting class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Star ratings matter up to a point, but they have to be viewed in context. They basically measure the degree of development for a 17 year old kid before he gets into college. The other half of that equation is the development between NLI day and the day the last person in a case steps onto the field 2 years later.

Former "Coach" Pasqualoni was lauded by some for being a great recruiter (At least much better than Randy Edsall) and even had a top 65 rated recruiting class. But what did the players do once they got to UConn? Why did Diaco hired Matt Balis away from Miss St.? Xavier Hemingway played Offensive Tackle in a FBS program at 285 lbs. How could he only gain 20 pounds in 3 years when the average freshmen in The Jungle gains 30 lbs. in 4 1/2 months (albeit not muscle)?

"Coach" Pasqualoni's recruiting prowess certainly didn't translate into results on the field...

Noel Thomas has shown promise. Brian Lemelle and Dhameer Bradley has shown promise too when TJ Weist took over. What happened this past year with these two is a mystery, size maybe? Diaco likes tall players. IMO these two should of got more playing time. Tim Boyle has struggled, OL maybe? all I know is that all QB's struggled behind the OL. Kyle Schafenacker is a big (6'4 290 lbs) OG from St. Thomas Aquinas out of FL. I don't see why he hasn't been given a chance, not Diaco's player maybe? who knows. a lot of them transferred too so there's a lot that played a factor. Because we had a 65 ranked recruiting class and a lot of them transferred or some haven't played because of coaching changes doesn't mean stars doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Bob Diaco truly can get this team in order and get us to the 8-10 win mark in a few years I predict all of your wishes will be granted. He has the potential to lure our first five star recruit but he has to get it first where we are looked at like a East coast Boise team. We need to look like a team in a crappy conference that can play with the big boys.

Reaction Score
We are in a bad conference, play in the Northeast, and just had a brutal season.

95th is pretty damn impressive.

Reaction Score
The real measure right now is the recruiting class ranking within the AAC. Rivals has it at #9 but within close spitting distance of #7. If you are rebuilding, that is not a bad place to be and certainly better than what one would expect after a total of 5 wins in 2 years.. Whether or not these kids fit the "scheme" (assuming we even know what the scheme is), remains to be seen. If BD and staff can coach them up, then the #9 class starts to perform like the #4 or 5 class.
Doesn't matter if we know what the scheme is. We aren't the ones recruiting these players to fit the scheme.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Noel Thomas has shown promise. Brian Lemelle and Dhameer Bradley has shown promise too when TJ Weist took over. What happened this past year with these two is a mystery, size maybe? Diaco likes tall players. IMO these two should of got more playing time. Tim Boyle has struggled, OL maybe? all I know is that all QB's struggled behind the OL. Kyle Schafenacker is a big (6'4 290 lbs) OG from St. Thomas Aquinas out of FL. I don't see why he hasn't been given a chance, not Diaco's player maybe? who knows. a lot of them transferred too so there's a lot that played a factor. Because we had a 65 ranked recruiting class and a lot of them transferred or some haven't played because of coaching changes doesn't mean stars doesn't matter.
Where did I say stars don't matter?

Diaco indicated during the season that Schafenacker wasn't going to see the field. I took that to mean technique, not size. The O-line was gawdawful. If he could offer anything he should have been given a shot (everyone else seemed to get one). Regarding the skill positions, AS THE O-line goes, so goes the rest of the offense.

Reaction Score
RE could find talent. He wasn't a good recruiter, in fact he turned off tons of coaches and rankings coordinators as anyone in the business. but, he found athletes and developed them into players, many who went on to play in the pros. PP was a terrible recruiter and terrible developer of talent. Diaco? I can't imagine his BS plays well after a 2-win season and I saw almost nothing last year to say any player developed. but it was one year. We will know more after this season.

I doubt Nick Saban could get a top 20 class to Storrs, playing in the AAC with home games in front of 8k people. RE's model is the one every coach in new england should stock to. Find linemen who are smart and can develop, build around that, and find enough athletes to run the ball well and tackle effectively. if you a re lucky enough to get a good QB, then maybe you can crack the top 25.

Reaction Score
Where did I say stars don't matter?

Diaco indicated during the season that Schafenacker wasn't going to see the field. I took that to mean technique, not size. The O-line was gawdawful. If he could offer anything he should have been given a shot (everyone else seemed to get one). Regarding the skill positions, AS THE O-line goes, so goes the rest of the offense.

Never said you said stars don't matter. I was responding to this: "top 65 rated recruiting class. But what did the players do once they got to UConn?"

Reaction Score
Serious question do you have any proof that these recruiting sites rank kids based off of the school they commit to?

Because whena player decommits from UConn and goes to a mid to top P5 school, they jump 1 or 2 stars?

Reaction Score
That was sarcasm... trust me I'm one of the realistic poster who knows stars matter.

Now this big dude, (think he is a no star) Motekiai Langi is 6'7" 410Lbs. A massive human being. BYU's coach Bronco Mendenhall gave him a scholly even though he hasn't played a stich of football. A BYU coach observed him playing pick up basketball. He saw that he was light on his feet and not fat. Like Mendenhall say's in the video, surely they can teach this young man how to do something! He said he shook his hand and it came up to his elbow. This guy is big enough to give him two scholarships!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...angi-playing-pickup-basketball-143425956.html

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Never said you said stars don't matter. I was responding to this: "top 65 rated recruiting class. But what did the players do once they got to UConn?"
I think you at least implied it in your last sentence. If a player leaves or doesn't play due to coaching change, I still consider that as not being appropriately developed. Star ratings matter, but they go out the window on the first Thursday in February.

Reaction Score
Because whena player decommits from UConn and goes to a mid to top P5 school, they jump 1 or 2 stars?

You do realize these kids get evaluated by the individuals who work for the recruiting sites all year right? it doesn't stop because a kid commits early. They get evaluated during there Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior and through out there Senior year. By the time these kids finish there junior year most of these kids get their stars, by and after their Senior year they can either earn, lose a star, or it stays the same. The sites don't just sit around and see what kids get offered by what program and say okay he has an Alabama offer lets give him 5 stars.

Reaction Score
The star system is not nearly as exact as the star system in basketball, there are just too many players to rate.

I do feel like this year there were more kids with P5 offers than we have ever gotten before. Thats a trend in the right direction for sure...imo.

Reaction Score
I'm not against us recruiting 2 stars. I'm against us recruiting a whole class full of 2 stars with some expecting us to win a whole lot of games. I know we can't just pluck 3, 4, and 5 star kids, but I think we should try harder to have them commit. If Temple, Tulsa, San Diego State, UCF, Cincinnati, and Memphis can get them 4 and 5 star players to commit or transfer then I don't see why we can't.

Help me understand the highlighted statement - "we should try harder"?

Reaction Score
I think you at least implied it in your last sentence. If a player leaves or doesn't play due to coaching change, I still consider that as not being appropriately developed. Star ratings matter, but they go out the window on the first Thursday in February.

Your right I guess I lost myself in the end their... Lol

Reaction Score
You do realize these kids get evaluated by the individuals who work for the recruiting sites all year right? it doesn't stop because a kid commits early. They get evaluated during there Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior and through out there Senior year. By the time these kids finish there junior year most of these kids get their stars, by and after their Senior year they can either earn, lose a star, or it stays the same. The sites don't just sit around and see what kids get offered by what program and say okay he has an Alabama offer lets give him 5 stars.

I don't know why you wrote all that.

I am telling you what happens. The second they recommit to a big school, they jump in stars.

Within hours.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Diaco say he's not going to focus on the stars or kids with a lot of p5 offers? he's going to focus on RKG's? Couldn't that be a reason why a lot of the kids committed are projects? Temple has 2 four star commits. I think they tried really hard to get these kids. Temple isn't more attractive than UConn, so why can they get high three star and four star players, but we can't? Maybe cause Diaco is focused more on RKG's?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
NFL Teams spend millions to research 3-10 QB's each year & get it wrong consistently:

JaMarcus Russell (No. 1 overall in 2007), Joey Harrington (No. 3, 2002), Matt Leinart (No. 10, 2006), Brandon Weeden (No. 22, 2012); Blaine Gabbert (No. 10, 2011), Brady Quinn(No. 22, 2007), J.P. Losman (No. 22, 2004), Christian Ponder(No. 12, 2011), Kyle Boller (No. 19, 2003), Vince Young (No. 3, 2006)

I am not worried at all about being #95, based on high school game tape & some agility drills for 16-18 year old kids.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you wrote all that.

I am telling you what happens. The second they recommit to a big school, they jump in stars.

Within hours.

Hey, it was your choice to read it. I guess you see what I don't see.

Reaction Score
Chart: Comparing the top 25 teams to their recruiting rankings;
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Comparing-the-top-25-teams-to-their-recruiting-rankings

Recruiting%20rankings.png

Reaction Score
Temple has 2 four star commits. I think they tried really hard to get these kids. Temple isn't more attractive than UConn, so why can they get high three star and four star players, but we can't? Maybe cause Diaco is focused more on RKG's?

Nah - it's because one's s a legacy. Nothing to do w/ level of effort on this one.

Temple_FB Feb 04, 7:10am via Twitter Web Client
DYK: Kareem Ali Jr.'s dad played football at Temple and his mom ran track? TRULY #TempleMade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom