The $92 million Field of Nightmares | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The $92 million Field of Nightmares

Reaction Score
I used to be against it, but they need to make UConn more accessible and bring more people to campus. I think long term it should move back to campus. We are talking end of life for the rent, but that’s ok.

And as the state builds its infrastructure out, such as the direct busway from Hartford to Storrs, and better highways, I like that thought. Maybe when I am retired I can get to a game up in storrs.
What are we thinking end of life for the Rent is? Another 15 or 20 years? I actually have zero issues with the Rent's location. Clearly we had no issues with attendance when we were decent and were playing FB in a conference we all liked. I do however see the issue where the students, who should be the lifeblood of the program's future attendance are treated as an after thought.

Reaction Score
Location?

Access to highways; ingress egress; infrastructure; access to job market; ease to get to airport & other major GSMA ... the Rent is underachievement of the concept. 6 games a year? Maybe a handful of other events. A Cabela. Someone just lacked any notion of what coulda shoulda woulda been.

I get why it was built there. The damn shame is what they managed it towards. And 2 crap coaches

Reaction Score
The Rent is a bargain. It's been open for almost 20 years and hosted tons of events for only $92M. That gets you what, 5 miles of highway? And it has the best sight lines of any sporting facility I've ever been in.
16 years old...checked XL and that's 44(!) years old

Reaction Score
$92m

Cost Approach to Appraisal - MAI - like Stadium with concession underneath that design. 22-30,000 seats. Name 5 in somewhat northern climates.

$220-270m each. (Let me add - they’re all MLS stadiums. And to my eye, not the quality of ours in many ways)

And the $92m includes no Land Cost & little site work built on the former runways.

Stop whining. Figure out how to use the thing for better Value creation.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
$92m

Cost Approach to Appraisal - MAI - like Stadium with concession underneath that design. 22-30,000 seats. Name 5 in somewhat northern climates.

$220-270m each.

And the $92m includes no Land Cost & little site work built on the former runways.

Stop whining. Figure out how to use the thing for better Value creation.
My sentiments exactly
$92M is chump change for a facility that size - I don't care where it is
Would I like it on campus? Hell yes but Storrs isn't exactly the most accessible place on earth considering the roads to and from the major freeway(s)
At least Penn St has a airplane landing area nearby!!!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The Rent is a bargain. It's been open for almost 20 years and hosted tons of events for only $92M. That gets you what, 5 miles of highway? And it has the best sight lines of any sporting facility I've ever been in.
The Rent is wonderful. But the dream of joining the Big 10 or some other conference and expanding it to 50,000 or 55,000 is gone.

Maybe it’s best to build a really cool, modest stadium on campus that holds about 30,000. It would be nice to have a place that gets the students more involved and gets good reviews for game day atmosphere.

The Rent will last another generation. Then UConn and the state will have to make a big decision.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s best to build a really cool, modest stadium on campus that holds about 30,000. It would be nice to have a place that gets the students more involved and gets good reviews for game day atmosphere.

Then win games

Reaction Score
Whoever thinks the rent is a nice stadium has never been to another stadium.

Of the dozens of stadiums I’ve been to, it has to be one of my least favorites.

Reaction Score

Been to plenty. It’s excellent. Speaking of which, Gsmpel is no great shakes either. Tiles peeling away, crappy concession space, poor people flow, horrendous parking.

Reaction Score
But paying rent to an entity owned by the state is just bookkeeping at the end of the day. What does a CT taxpayer care if the State pays for a stadium out of pocket, through it's university, or finances it through an entity and then charges the university a rent. You only care if you take stupid media articles that don't know what they are talking about seriously. You shouldn't.

Bookeeping among affiliates, and for non-profits, shows you very little of importance.
As a former ceo of a non-profit with multiple wholly owned subsidiaries, and having worked for several others as a consultant I can second this

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Been to plenty. It’s excellent. Speaking of which, Gsmpel is no great shakes either. Tiles peeling away, crappy concession space, poor people flow, horrendous parking.
I’m not sure about the tiles peeling, are you talking about the ceiling because that’s been restored to the original Enzo Pantoni glory.

I agree with you, though, regarding concessions and flow. There is a plan in place to add new concessions ring around the existing dome. That will likely take place after the conclusion of the existing athletics stadium renovations ( new soccer field, new softball, field new baseball field, new hockey arena.)

Reaction Score

Ive been to many other stadiums too, and for 92 Million, the Rent has some of the best sight lines at any seat of any stadium I've ever been to. If you are looking for a stadium with beautiful concessions and walkways, yea the rent isnt for you. who eats that crap at college football games anyway?

Great tailgating setup too, especially in the fall when the leaves are turning.

Reaction Score
You’re kinda stuck by the generation you are building on. Gampel replaces the old Fieldhouse which was constructed 80 years ago. It served as a tightly packed venue - a great experience for anyone who was lucky enough to have a ticket.

The Rent? You do know that construction costs of most all the core components have doubled or more. Besides the Tenant, the sad thing is the absence of imagination for other uses. It’s an excellent location to the job base of Hartford & access to the highways. You wonder if P&W put restrictions on what they could do.

Reaction Score
Me calling out the rent has nothing to do with basketball. Gampel is far from perfect. However it has a lot more character than the rent. At least when you walk it feels like a college arena. You walk into the rent it's grey and old looking.

Both places were built cheap and bare basic which has/is costing the school.

Reaction Score
Me calling out the rent has nothing to do with basketball. Gampel is far from perfect. However it has a lot more character than the rent. At least when you walk it feels like a college arena. You walk into the rent it's grey and old looking.

Both places were built cheap and bare basic which has/is costing the school.

Wrong

Reaction Score
Maybe when you’re losing by 30 & it’s cold as all & you’re unhappy, you have the blues and can rag on the Rent easily.

When built, Rentschler - not skimping in any way - was a wonderful effectively budgeted modern college football stadium. Concrete. Go look up the UCF Stadium Construction. They CHEAPED out. It was built like a double wide - MODULAR. The boxes - the scoreboard (which has been renovated) - the concessions - the entire runway tailgate. All well done.

In the era it was done, they did not skimp. Today - YES - for that quality of construction, I’m telling you it would cost close to $300m today.

Then. Go look at Rutgers v UConn page on football staff. Or SMU or ECU or Temple or Cincinnati. They have twice as many staff positions today. P5 money is flowing - so there’s definitely a distinct separation in college athletics now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I like it for the same reason I like Gampel: there is no bad view in the place and it can get loud. But you are correct that it is not nice by any means and is scarce on amenities. As a pure fan, though, not interested in anything else but the game I like it.

Reaction Score
The XFL actually seems to have solid ground this time around. Placing a team in New England would come down to Gillette and the Rent. Have to like our chances, given the location of the stadium and it's accessibility to people who live in CT and MA, along I-84 and I-91.

Reaction Score
The XFL actually seems to have solid ground this time around. Placing a team in New England would come down to Gillette and the Rent. Have to like our chances, given the location of the stadium and it's accessibility to people who live in CT and MA, along I-84 and I-91.
Butch's point is interesting. I think XFL teams may want to locate in cities or areas where there is strong interest in football but no current professional teams. If UConn ever gets an on-campus football stadium again, Central Connecticut could use the Rent, as well as any pro teams.

Reaction Score
Butch's point is interesting. I think XFL teams may want to locate in cities or areas where there is strong interest in football but no current professional teams. If UConn ever gets an on-campus football stadium again, Central Connecticut could use the Rent, as well as any pro teams.
Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom