The 9 best places to watch WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 9 best places to watch WCBB

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm always impressed with how well Cyclone fans support their Iowa State team.

I don't think they've ever been to a final four. Elite Eight maybe once or twice, but
they always draw in the top five year in and year out.

Maybe there's just nothing else to do in Ames. :rolleyes:
There is that. We were riding the elevator at the hotel there and - not kidding - wondering what the large building next door was. It was the "Bull Semen Institute". That's Iowa for you.

As to the folks talking about Gampel, as a Rutgers fan I was there many times - very nice arena actually, in comparison to most. I have only been to 3 on the list (shocking, I've been to over 100 arenas), I really didn't care much for Notre Dame and it was so long ago we were in Ames I don't feel competent to comment.

I can't think of all the places we have gone, but I will say that, as somewhat older facilities go, Carver-Hawkeye Arena at Iowa was a nice place to watch a game.

Reaction Score
I'm always impressed with how well Cyclone fans support their Iowa State team.

I don't think they've ever been to a final four. Elite Eight maybe once or twice, but
they always draw in the top five year in and year out.

Maybe there's just nothing else to do in Ames. :rolleyes:
Sorta like - ahem - Connecticut...?? (sports-wise, anyway)

Reaction Score
Most of CT is a metro-north ride away from NYC, which is a big, big difference from Ames! As someone who lived in CT for four years, I can easily attest to the difference that makes in accessing the wider world.
Yeah you got me there. I lived in CT for 20 years and got to know NYC so well it almost seemed like I lived there. Also proximity to Boston, Italian food on Franklin Avenue, etc, etc. Better stop now before I want to move back...

Reaction Score
IMHO the Mohegan Sun Arena is a great place to watch a WBB game!
It's what Gampel Arena should have been! All REAL seats no bleachers!
The original plan for Gampel was to have all chairback seats, They ran out of money.
There's that "M" word, again.

Reaction Score
The original plan for Gampel was to have all chairback seats, They ran out of money.
There's that "M" word, again.

What's the excuse since then? Gampel has gone through three expansions since opening Jan 21, 1990. Two of them involved adding more seats...surely they could have replaced them bleachers and revert to the "original" design/plan as you point out. That will never happen unless they want to sacrifice seating capacity. Considering they expanded twice to add more seats, them bleachers are there to stay.

Let me be the first to propose, when thinking about adding more seats to next expansion, remove them real seats from upper bowl and go to bleachers to gain over 1,000 more seats to Gampel's capacity. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom