The 8 man rotation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 8 man rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Roscoe is the most fundamentally sound rebounder on the team. He understands rebounding position, and shows tremendous footwork in the interior. Problem is, he still wants to play outside.

Reaction Score
Giffey is a good off-the-bench player, but he doesn't have the athleticism or quickness to keep up with some threes. The fact we're so deep at the 3 with Giffs, Daniels, Roscoe and heck, even Jeremy can play the 3-spot, means I don't care if they all play 12 minutes a game and just give us what we need while they're on the court.

I'm more worried about Alex and Boatright. We got some big physical teams coming up and Alex needs to man-up and play more consistent. And some of Boatright's shot selection vs. St. John's was worrisome. I know he's a freshman and they were definitely "freshman" shots, but they also were the shots of somebody whose ego needs to stay in check ... a one-on-four pullup jumper from 19? C'mon.

Reaction Score
It all depends on matchups guys. If UConn were to play a team like Kentucky, I don't think a guy like Daniels or Giffey is fast enough or strong enough to stay with a guy like Terrence Jones or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Roscoe would probably play 30-35 minutes in a game like that.

Offesively, Giffey and Daniels are much better options right now. I hate to be so blunt, but at this moment, Roscoe is a horrible offensive player. At this point, I feel better with Oriakhi taking a jump shot than I do with him taking a jump shot, and that says something. He has no B-Ball IQ, as evidenced by his horrible plays on the break, and he can't create shots for anybody because he's so turnover prone. Against teams who can't threaten us with wing scorers, I tend to agree that Daniels and Giffey are much better options.

But still, Roscoe will play a crucial role in this team. His rebounding and defensive ability is extremely important to the success of this team.

Reaction Score
It shouldn't be a surprise that a player like Roscoe would be highly touted, but struggle on this team. We saw it with Stanley Robinson. He doesn't have the handle to be a perimeter player, but he doesn't have the body to be a post player. Calhoun is enamored with the 6-8 wing with off-the-charts athleticism, but still hasn't figured out how to incorporate that type of player into our offense.

Reaction Score
R Smith has not really struggled if you look at his whole body of work here at UCONN. He was/is our lock down defender on the other teams best scorer and did play a huge role winning a NC last year.
He may not have improved as much as us fans were expecting over the summer but I am sure we will feel much better by the end of the season. This is the same guy who played with 8 stitches and a black eye- he'll come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom