The 3-3-5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 3-3-5

Reaction Score
I agree the pass defense needs to improve, but we did get 2 sacks, one forced fumble and Terry dropped what I thought was a sure INT. Those 2 sacks last night are equal to the total number of sacks we had against Stony Brook, Villanova and Maine combined in the last 3 years, so there's some improvement!

Reaction Score
I agree the pass defense needs to improve, but we did get 2 sacks, one forced fumble and Terry dropped what I thought was a sure INT. Those 2 sacks last night are equal to the total number of sacks we had against Stony Brook, Villanova and Maine combined in the last 3 years, so there's some improvement!

That's a result of blitzing much more out of this 3-3-5. As others have said, there is no way around the fact that our DLs and LBs are too slow other than to recruit faster players and give them time to develop.

Reaction Score
We do not have the horses at LB and without that I don't know how you make a 3-3-5 work. They are the catalyst to pressure. They have to be able to run and our LBs do not run well. We simply don't have the Wilsons, Sios, Yawins, Lutrus'.........

We are going to have a rough go versus USF I suspect.

Edsall will address this through recruiting, but it will take time.

Reaction Score
HC was lining up 83 in the slot and exploiting matchups, looking for certain LB coverage or safety coverage depending on where he was. UConn never pressed the kid off the line and he was GREAT at running option routes and finding open space. I guarnatee he will be an UDFA singing by the Pats (lololol).

I don't know that is reflective of the talent as much as the style. the HC QB was really good for much of the game until he got beaten up so much he started to finally miss some of his throws. 83 was fantastic and he was first look on like 10 of 11 pass plays in the second quarter. They'd move him around looking for a matchup and exploited it. Good coaching. and Uconn didn't adjust much. Who knows if they game-planned for him or that kind of offense.

Reaction Score
Correct on Okunam. And I have always felt the same about McAllister and Watkins as well.

This defense is not going to work if the DBs cannot explode to the ball and blitz the QB more than occasionally. You got to confuse and pressure the QB and really make plays on balls in the air.

In time I think we will see more Fortt and Swenson on the field.

Fortt is exactly what I'm talking about. There was a play last night that the receiver caught a ball short and made a first down. Fortt had the guy covered but did not make a move to cut in front of him for an easy INT. He waited for him to catch the ball. If Fortt trusted his eyes he would have attacked the route. There will come a time when he makes that play. When he is confident in the defense and himself, that's a TO. They just haven't figured it out yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Fortt is exactly what I'm talking about. There was a play last night that the receiver caught a ball short and made a first down. Fortt had the guy covered but did not make a move to cut in front of him for an easy INT. He waited for him to catch the ball. If Fortt trusted his eyes he would have attacked the route. There will come a time when he makes that play. When he is confident in the defense and himself, that's a TO. They just haven't figured it out yet.
Okay - I'll look for that when I watch the replay tonight. Broadly speaking, I'm just hungry for some speed and it while the team did seem to play slow - when it came to one on one matches (ie attacking the ball carrier) they looked slow too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Summers is a 1 play-player. He makes 1 play out there and then acts like his job is done for the rest of the game. Guy needs to start playing for the team and not himself.

Reaction Score
I thought Summers was very good last night, and looked to have shaken off finally the confidence crisis brought on by the Syracuse game last year. Bell, however, just looked awful on the other corner.

So much for the Vandy, SEC hype. Bell's got to show me more..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom