The 2020 Core Six | The Boneyard

The 2020 Core Six

Reaction Score
Uconn typically has a core for at the beginning of each year. This year is no different. The CORE for 19/20, in my opinion is:
Dangerfield
Megan Walker
C. Williams
Olivia Ododa Nelson
Molly Bent
Kayla Irwin.

These in my opinion will lead either in Practices or in games or both. Molly and Irwin are 2 intelligent players with a vast understanding of Geno's methods and how he expects players to behave on and off the floor and the intensity each should have as they play. This makes them excellent sub-coaches, student coaches, mentor.
Danger will be the PG and as such will be the appointed on floor leader, as a Senior she is expected to LEAD. That she shall do.
Leading by example you will find the rest: Walker, CW/ ONO.
I'm usually a half full glass prior to the season. Of ten recently I'v been thinking Sweet Sixteen is where Uconn ended.
This year, uncharacteristically, I see Geno et al going for broke and I like his Chances.
If you disagree with any of this feel free to disagree---

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that either Molly or Kyla will be the 5th starter? If Westbrook is cleared to play in 2019-20, I think that is essentially impossible. Even if she is not available, I wouldn't give Molly more than about a 15% chance to be the 5th starter (and basically no chance for Kyla to be). I think the most likely 5th starter will be one of the newbies, or possibly Batouly.

You are correct that Molly and Kyla will have a strong voice in practice and in pickup games, but I doubt that Kyla will see the floor this year outside of garbage time. If Westbrook is ruled ineligible, then Molly (out of necessity) may have to be the third guard, although it's possible that Anna might assume that role (probably later in the season).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Uconn typically has a core for at the beginning of each year. This year is no different. The CORE for 19/20, in my opinion is:
Dangerfield
Megan Walker
C. Williams
Olivia Ododa Nelson
Molly Bent
Kayla Irwin.

These in my opinion will lead either in Practices or in games or both. Molly and Irwin are 2 intelligent players with a vast understanding of Geno's methods and how he expects players to behave on and off the floor and the intensity each should have as they play. This makes them excellent sub-coaches, student coaches, mentor.
Danger will be the PG and as such will be the appointed on floor leader, as a Senior she is expected to LEAD. That she shall do.
I'm usually a half full glass prior to the season. Of ten recently I'v been thinking Sweet Sixteen is where Uconn ended.
This year, uncharacteristically, I see Geno et al going for broke and I like his Chances.

This observation I agree with. :cool:

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that either Molly or Kyla will be the 5th starter? If Westbrook is cleared to play in 2019-20, I think that is essentially impossible. Even if she is not available, I wouldn't give Molly more than about a 15% chance to be the 5th starter (and basically no chance for Kyla to be). I think the most likely 5th starter will be one of the newbies, or possibly Batouly.

You are correct that Molly and Kyla will have a strong voice in practice and in pickup games, but I doubt that Kyla will see the floor this year outside of garbage time. If Westbrook is ruled ineligible, then Molly (out of necessity) may have to be the third guard, although it's possible that Anna might assume that role (probably later in the season).
No @JoePgh--I was careful NOT to infer that.
I have serious doubt either shall start this year, maybe 2 nights ONE night is certain, well almost, that they shall start. I do however suggest both Molly and Kaya will be mentors, guides for the new kids on the block.
I am a huge Ania/Anna believer the starting may, I have no clue, be among. Ania, Griffin, Evelyn--or Westbrook if healthy.

Here is the ting @JoePgh --in a Geno team being on the floor is not the only place to lead. I think there is too much Uxonn knowledge and experience to NOT use both Irwin and Molly as mentors, practice experts.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

He did not suggest that either Bent or Irwin will start, just that they will be leaders off the court and at practice. As Bellemare suggested, they are seniors and know exactly want Geno wants, and how things are to be done.

Summer league update: the lower bowl in the Thomas & Mack is already full for the Pelicans game featuring Zion Williamson. Anyone coming in at this point will be sitting in the upper bowl. LeBorn just entered the area to a thunderous applause. Today and tomorrow’s games are sold out.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Molly and Kyla (her in particular) will take some leadership roles, along with Crystal, Megan, and Christyn.

In terms of the core PLAYERS, I think Crystal, Megan, and Christyn are locks. Olivia is highly likely. So is Evina, if eligible. I'd put Anna, Aubrey, and Evelyn ahead of Molly, Kyla, and Batouly in terms of playing time.

Reaction Score
So I guess "core" is just another way of saying "returning players"?
No Core in this case means : Those players on Uconn that have knowledge and experience within the Geno system to be mentors and advisors to the new group. I should have made this definition in the first post.
You don't have to be an top talent to be CORE. Those on the floor may or may not be top talent, those in practice only need to know the plays, intensity, and display effort to be core practice players. Sometimes these are the most important.

Reaction Score
I think that Molly and Kyla (her in particular) will take some leadership roles, along with Crystal, Megan, and Christyn.

In terms of the core PLAYERS, I think Crystal, Megan, and Christyn are locks. Olivia is highly likely. So is Evina, if eligible. I'd put Anna, Aubrey, and Evelyn ahead of Molly, Kyla, and Batouly in terms of playing time.
Of course you are right on those that may get the start or more pt than molly or irwin. But in terms of this TEAM they are CORE. They know the Geno system, the intensity they must play with, the incidentals on and off the floor Geno and CD expect--to teach and advise the new guys Molly and Irwin are SENIORs and expect to LEAD if only in a NOT playing capacity. In that respect they are CORE LEADERS.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Megan Walker
C. Williams
Olivia Ododa Nelson
Molly Bent
Kayla Irwin.

They are great girls and teammates, but if either Molly or Kayla are starters we will be in serious trouble. They are too slow on defense and not enough offense.

Reaction Score
we are assuming that CD will be ready from day one..Didnt she have surgery? She may need more time b4 business as usual.

Reaction Score
Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia are guaranteed starters. The fifth starter will be among Ania, Aubrey and Evelyn. Molly and Kyla seem like nice young women; however, if they play meaningful minutes, it's due to injury and that is never good.

Reaction Score
A good discussion topic, but we won't know any of this for sure until November. For those who have written off Kyla and Molly, we have no idea what their values are in practices. We have no idea how they interact with the newer players to provide advice and guidance to the new guys. We just don't know. And because they aren't much in the limelight we will likely never know.

We all loved Polly and Tierney and what they brought to the team. Would they have had playing time and opportunities much better than Kyla or Molly have now if it weren't for being on the team with Stewie, Mo, et. al. who put games out of reach and allowed them to receive the playing time they received? Practice is not the same as playing in a game. It just can't be because the stakes are different.

And, for those who feel that perhaps Molly and Kyla wasted their opportunities by going to UConn and riding the pine, I suggest that we respect their decision. If either has an ambition to become a coach, where would be a better place to learn? It will be interesting to see if either one of them become a graduate assistant.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No Core in this case means : Those players on Uconn that have knowledge and experience within the Geno system to be mentors and advisors to the new group. I should have made this definition in the first post.
You don't have to be an top talent to be CORE. Those on the floor may or may not be top talent, those in practice only need to know the plays, intensity, and display effort to be core practice players. Sometimes these are the most important.
Okay, but since you've named all the returning players and no one else, the two appear to be synonymous in practice, n'est-ce pas?

It's axiomatic that returning players have knowledge and experience in the coach's system and can serve as mentors and advisers to the new players. It's part of a returning player's job description to help the incoming players adapt and adjust.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Irwin and Bentley wont log significant minutes in big games. Both players came to UCONN likely knowing that they'd never be major contributors. They understand their role on the team and likely take some off court leadership responsibilities but in terms of who are the core players in a rotation on the court, neither is likely to log more than maybe 10 mpg by midseason.

Reaction Score
Irwin and Bentley wont log significant minutes in big games. Both players came to UCONN likely knowing that they'd never be major contributors. They understand their role on the team and likely take some off court leadership responsibilities but in terms of who are the core players in a rotation on the court, neither is likely to log more than maybe 10 mpg by midseason.
The dictionary definition of CORE says (rephrasing) the glue that keeps the team together. Nothing about them starting or logging many minutes. Which may or may not be true.
If they contribute to the team gelling /jelling to a useful unit they have done their job. On the floor may be it will be ONO, CW, Danger, Walker, Griffin/Westbrook/Ania--but the guys who will help them in practice and give them encouragement will b among the other Molly Bent and Kayla Irwin. That makes the CORE.
I don't necessarily diagree with your assessment--I'm speaking of HELPING the New guys become UConn type players--that they will do..

Reaction Score
Okay, but since you've named all the returning players and no one else, the two appear to be synonymous in practice, n'est-ce pas?

It's axiomatic that returning players have knowledge and experience in the coach's system and can serve as mentors and advisers to the new players. It's part of a returning player's job description to help the incoming players adapt and adjust.
By jove---YOU GOT IT. Working with the others returning to make this a team--they have that knowledge. I see no point in selling their acquired knowledge short (you didn't) 2 good tough kid that have logged 3 plus years mostly on Geno's bench--that takes a special kind of mental toughness..

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Irwin and Bentley wont log significant minutes in big games. Both players came to UCONN likely knowing that they'd never be major contributors. They understand their role on the team and likely take some off court leadership responsibilities but in terms of who are the core players in a rotationh, neither is likely to log more than maybe 10 mpg by midseason.
The dictionary definition of CORE says (rephrasing) the glue that keeps the team together. Nothing about them starting or logging many minutes. Which may or may not be true.
If they contribute to the team gelling /jelling to a useful unit they have done their job. On the floor may be it will be ONO, CW, Danger, Walker, Griffin/Westbrook/Ania--but the guys who will help them in practice and give them encouragement will b among the other Molly Bent and Kayla Irwin. That makes the CORE.
I don't necessarily diagree with your assessment--I'm speaking of HELPING the New guys become UConn type players--that they will do..

....so is there any different between CORE and being a returning player/upperclassman? Usually when people refer to the core of a team, they mean the most important players on a team in regards to what they can contribute on the court.

Reaction Score
Irwin and Bentley wont log significant minutes in big games. Both players came to UCONN likely knowing that they'd never be major contributors. They understand their role on the team and likely take some off court leadership responsibilities but in terms of who are the core players in a rotationh, neither is likely to log more than maybe 10 mpg by midseason.

....so is there any different between CORE and being a returning player/upperclassman? Usually when people refer to the core of a team, they mean the most important players on a team in regards to what they can contribute on the court.
In this case they are all CORE. Think---which ones of the 6 are not needed with their knowledge of Uconn, Geno, the plays, and how geno wants the game played. On the floor or during practices--each one has a role as the CORE with the knowledge and the glue that makes this team --this team.
CORE has been used with 4 or 5 top players returned--that's not the case this year ONLY Bent, Irwin, Danger and a bit of Megan have long term knowledge of the Geno system. They this year ARE the CORE---and you can make money on Geno will expect ALL RETURNING to teach, mentor, help the new guys
I believe all CORE/returning players are worthy of serious credit for staying the course with Uconn--look at those in the Transfer pools--that could have been Uconn but these are dedicated kid who deserve our respect and credit.
What ye do to the least of these you do to me. Some where that has been said.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
judas priest!
youse guys, and me, don't have the foggiest idea who the 'core' players are, cause none of us are on the team.

the players do; maybe the coaches. and it's not necessarily about passing, shooting and defensive abilities, or bb savvy. it's not about who can make the play in the clutch, though that sure is a bonus. sometimes it's not even about chemistry and emotion. .... the players know who the real core players are: the ones who always know the good of the team comes first, and do their damnedest to make it so

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom