The 18-3 start, Ollie started the wrong 5, and bollixed the start of the game | The Boneyard

The 18-3 start, Ollie started the wrong 5, and bollixed the start of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oklahoma State presses and runs up and down the court.

With Gilbert out what does Ollie elect to do, starts facey alongside Brimah. He leaves Adams as the only primary ball handler vs the press. Purvis can handle but not extremely well, and in the early going does not look like Larrier can handle in traffic either. How Ollie thought it was a good idea to start facey instead of Vital is beyond me.

It took Ollie 3 and a half minutes to substitute, so what does he do? He brings in Enoch for Brimah, and Vital for Purvis. Again leaving two useless players (Enoch and Facey) against the press. Over the next two minutes the lead increases from 10-3 to 18-3. And we have buried ourselves once again.

Yes Adams turnovers killed the huskies, but how is it that we know we are going to face pressure and not have 4 competent ball handlers to handle the pressure. Coaches are supposed to put their team in the best position to win and Ollie did not do that for the first 6 minutes of the game.

I don't know what ollie is thinking. It took until the 12 minute mark where the huskies didnt have Enoch or Facey on the floor, and they immediately cut the deficit to 23-17. Brimah would leave the game with about 6:30 left with 2 fouls. Enoch comes in and the lead would increase back up to 14 at half.

Enoch shouldn't be playing in an up and down game.

Ollie's rotations and substitutions make no sense, and its starting to irritate me.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

With Gilbert out what does Ollie elect to do, starts facey alongside Brimah. He leaves Adams as the only primary ball handler vs the press. Purvis can handle but not extremely well, and in the early going does not look like Larrier can handle in traffic either. How Ollie thought it was a good idea to start facey instead of Vital is beyond me.

It took Ollie 3 and a half minutes to substitute, so what does he do? He brings in Enoch for Brimah, and Vital for Purvis. Again leaving two useless players (Enoch and Facey) against the press. Over the next two minutes the lead increases from 10-3 to 18-3. And we have buried ourselves once again.

Yes Adams turnovers killed the huskies, but how is it that we know we are going to face pressure and not have 4 competent ball handlers to handle the pressure. Coaches are supposed to put their team in the best position to win and Ollie did not do that for the first 6 minutes of the game.

I don't know what ollie is thinking. It took until the 12 minute mark where the huskies didnt have Enoch or Facey on the floor, and they immediately cut the deficit to 23-17. Brimah would leave the game with about 6:30 left with 2 fouls. Enoch comes in and the lead would increase back up to 14 at half.

Ollie's rotations and substitutions make no sense, and its starting to irritate me.

Is the big kid from Tampa on restricted time?

Reaction Score

Hard to know for sure but Ollie may have thought that starting Brimah and Facey would give them an advantage against an undersized Ok State front court. I don't like the idea of starting Facey for any reason.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think he was trying to get an edge on the boards early in the game but I also don't think any 2 of our bigs should be starting together - puts too much pressure on the other 3 on offense to score.
As far as the timeouts, I have to agree, he is too attuned to NBA play and flow. Not the same game or players

Reaction Score

With Rique out, who did you expect to bring the ball up? Do you really expect Vital to break the press and play starter minutes?

Reaction Score
With Rique out, who did you expect to bring the ball up? Do you really expect Vital to break the press and play starter minutes?

He was a better option than having facey or enoch out there, who can't help break the press at all

Reaction Score
He was a better option than having facey or enoch out there, who can't help break the press at all

I disagree a bit. Enoch did one thing very well and that was avoid foul trouble. He played strong, got to the line a few times and looked more like a player and less like a bystander on the court.

Facey is done in my book. Over helped (A LOT) on Ok St. drives into the lane at least 3 times allowing wide open kick out 3s to a 3p shooting team. After 4 years of basketball you would really think he can make adjustments and learn from his own mistakes.

Vance Jackson has shown handle I didn't expect. He looks strong and confident bringing up the ball against the sideline with D strapped all over him.

VJ & Durham might take over all of KF's minutes by league play

Reaction Score
A lot of what has transpired to start the season is on Ollie. However, a lot is on the players as well. But, some things that really grind my gears about Ollie:
1. Why is he so enamored with Facey? He is more useless on offense than Brimah. Play Durham and let the young fella develop. At least he can score the ball.
2. Why in our press was our 4 man (Facey and then Durham) the man coming over to help double team and trap after the ball was inbounded? They're far too slow to be at the front of the press and it gives us one less rebounder once they get blown by.
3. After 5 years how does Ollie still not have ONE inbounds play? I have seen that lob over the top to Brimah intercepted far too many times at this point. It's ridiculous. I'm not asking for much, but put in SOMETHING that will allow us to get an easy inbounds pass in and get into our sets.
4. We knew they were going to press yet we didn't have a press break. Passing the ball east and west versus a press is asking for a steal and a layup. This is all we did. No one flashed the middle once - the easiest way to beat the press.

Reaction Score
A lot of what has transpired to start the season is on Ollie. However, a lot is on the players as well. But, some things that really grind my gears about Ollie:
1. Why is he so enamored with Facey? He is more useless on offense than Brimah. Play Durham and let the young fella develop. At least he can score the ball.
2. Why in our press was our 4 man (Facey and then Durham) the man coming over to help double team and trap after the ball was inbounded? They're far too slow to be at the front of the press and it gives us one less rebounder once they get blown by.
3. After 5 years how does Ollie still not have ONE inbounds play? I have seen that lob over the top to Brimah intercepted far too many times at this point. It's ridiculous. I'm not asking for much, but put in SOMETHING that will allow us to get an easy inbounds pass in and get into our sets.
4. We knew they were going to press yet we didn't have a press break. Passing the ball east and west versus a press is asking for a steal and a layup. This is all we did. No one flashed the middle once - the easiest way to beat the press.

I agree with the above. Ollie clearly is a very charismatic person, a good motivator and recruiter. But where is the coaching? It seems like the teams get sloppier and sloppier every year. They seem to miss more layups than some pickup games I play in. I know he won a championship but it was from Good defense and Bazz heaving up 40 footers like Lamar "Money" Mundane. The out of bounds play thing is real. Do they not practice a few different ones, LIKE EVERY OTHER BASKETBALL TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, this includes all the way down to middle school aged teams. This team has talent and may be decent at the end of the year but I don't think it will be from coaching, it will be from players maturing and talent winning the day like it should. This is so embarrassing, now I have to hang out with my smug brother in law duke fan for the holidays....... "Hows Uconn this year?" "Well they might be good down the road, but they uh, um, they lost to Northeastern"

Reaction Score
I agree with many of your sentiments but I feel like most of Jalen's TOs were in the half court, not a result of pressing...

Reaction Score
No idea why Ollie is so against using timeouts to cut into the oppositions momentum. He just kind of... Sits there.
Remember Dom Perno ??? He was a very good defensive coach.....except for time outs. Team could be up by 12 and he would wait until they were down by 4 to call one.
Could be an NBA thing as gtcam said in response to your post. For sure it is not something he picked up from Jim Calhoun LOL. Jim would call a time out a minute into a game or half if he did not like what he saw from the team or an individual player. I won't even go into the famous quick hook...;)

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Good teams dictate the pace and force their will. He probably confused his team with a good one and thought we could bury them inside and on the boards.

How it played out, unfortunately, was with the better team that night making us play their style and pace to our detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom