The 0-fers. | The Boneyard

The 0-fers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn fans may recall that during the 2004 run to the national championship we
faced a tough challange from a ranked UCSB team in the sweet 16 game. Well, that
was then. Today Santa Barbara is 0-18 on the season. The good news is that they
have two shots left against a lousy (3-17) Irvine team, so good luck Gouchos.

Illinois State is also 0-18 on the season. They have four decent chances to avoid a
shutout - two each against 2-16 Bradley and 2-16 Loyola, so good luck Redbirds.

(Dis)honorable mention goes to 1-18 Air Force and 1-17 St. Peters.

Reaction Score
Really too bad.
UCSB was a very strong program for a while, and the first HC job for current Cal coach Lindsay gottlieb. I remember watching some games on tv at their raucous arena. Sad to see then fall so far.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
UCSB is coached by former RU associate head coach Carlene Mitchell; we were at the game against Arizona and talked to her briefly, not particularly about her team. Speculation on the RU board is that the issue is recruiting. I don't know, but her teams in general can't score (much). The last couple of seasons have been tough.

St. Peter's is coached by Pat Coyle (formerly of the Liberty) and she is assisted by Phyllis Mangina formerly of Seton Hall.

I know nothing about the other 2 schools, except that Air Force has been dreadful for years.

Reaction Score
. . . St. Peter's is coached by Pat Coyle (formerly of the Liberty) and she is assisted by Phyllis Mangina formerly of Seton Hall . . .

Looks like Phyllis still has the same magic touch she had at the Hall. :rolleyes:(Look at Seton Hall
now - leading the Big East)

Reaction Score
UCSB is a great school with a beautiful campus and Santa Barbara is a wonderful city. It seems like recruiting should not be a problem; getting someone from Santa Ana to attend school in Storrs seems like a tougher task.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...Illinois State is also 0-18 on the season. They have four decent chances to avoid a
shutout - two each against 2-16 Bradley and 2-16 Loyola, so good luck Redbirds.

As an ISU alumnus, I feel the pain. Too many injuries and transfers. After the previous coach, Stephanie Glance, left the cupboard very bare, it has been a tough season for Barb Smith and my Redbirds.

Reaction Score
I was at that 2004 game. UCSB's mascot put on the best mascot performance I've ever seen.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Two other teams that are 0-fors in Sagarin results are Charleston South and Mississippi Valley State, who have combined for 5 wins against D2 schools but have no D1 wins. One of Miss Valley's D2 wins came against a school talked about on the BY last year, Philander Smith College , whose nickname is of course the Plilanderers. Most famous Philanderer alumnus at least this time of year might be Elijah Pitts who scored 2 TDs for the Packers in Super Bowl 1.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
One of Miss Valley's D2 wins came against a school talked about on the BY last year, Philander Smith College , whose nickname is of course the Plilanderers. Most famous Philanderer alumnus at least this time of year might be Elijah Pitts who scored 2 TDs for the Packers in Super Bowl 1.

I'd toss in Missouri Arledge. First black woman to play AAU ball, and to be named All American. Later, a teacher and Assistant Principal. Mrs. Missouri Morris attended Philander College and later Tuskegee University.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ya, surfboards or something, wasn't it?
The mascot is a Gaucho.
I think UCSB played Baylor in round one of the 2013 NCAA Tournament. How quick they have fallen.

Reaction Score
As I recall the mascot was some sorta "surfer dude". He ran all around the court and was both good and funny.

Reaction Score
As I recall the mascot was some sorta "surfer dude". He ran all around the court and was both good and funny.
I remember him too. He must not have been the mascot. Wasn't the band also decked out in beach/Jimmy Buffet attire?

Reaction Score
Yes, I remember the band looking like that. He must have been some sorta "super cheerleader".

Reaction Score
Illinois State is off the Schneid. They beat Loyola 72-56 yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom