Thats why you foul. Jesus. | The Boneyard

Thats why you foul. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
always has been a foul, always will be. JC didnt do it either, so awful

Reaction Score
always has been a foul, always will be. JC didnt do it either, so ****ing awful

Lost the game the second Cadougan crossed the half court line and was not fouled. Boggles my mind why coaches don't give the 2 points to guarantee no 3-pointer.

Reaction Score
That was an easy foul decision no idea why we didn't, also don't know why Boatright allowed Cadougan to walk into that shot.

Reaction Score
also don't know why Boatright allowed Cadougan to walk into that shot.

Boat's gotta have better situational awareness than that. He sauntered back on D and sagged into his position as if there were 6 minutes left, not 6 seconds.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue was with the D. I understand fouling and with a better rebounding UConn team I would've went with that option, but Boat can't just saunter back on D like that knowing Marq needs a 3 to tie.

Reaction Score
The foul would have occurred with about 3 seconds left. They shoot 2 and we just have to inbound the ball to the far court, even if they intercept there's no time. Did it even cross KO's mind? Most coaches do not foul and i don't get it.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue was with the D. I understand fouling and with a better rebounding UConn team I would've went with that option, but Boat can't just saunter back on D like that knowing Marq needs a 3 to tie.
I agree. You can play the situation either way, but if you opt to not foul, you can't let the guy get to the 3-point line without making him work for it. Defense was way too lax. This should have been a win, and it stings. They now have a week for this taste to stay in their mouths.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We're one of the worst rebounding teams around. To trust us to get a rebound on the second missed free throw is dicey, at best.

Reaction Score
We're one of the worst rebounding teams around. To trust us to get a rebound on the second missed free throw is dicey, at best.

Normally I'd not foul, but if our guys are gonna play defense as lax as they did up 3 we have to consider it.

Reaction Score
a lot of times u see guys try to miss intentionally and they make it or miss rim entirely. even if they grab the rebound, it would likely be a long rebound with a few seconds left and marquette would rush it back up and miss the majority of the time. plus they have to make the first free throw to begin with

Reaction Score
As I said in different thread...take the last timeout and decide what you are going to do. Setup D. I used to think it was a time for offense to call a timeout, however when they just go it seems like the results are better for offense (totally unscientific based on games I have seen).

Tough loss......

Reaction Score
Shoulda Woulda Coulda. Why we didn't foul after the Boatright shot is baffling to say the least.

Reaction Score
The foul would have occurred with about 3 seconds left. They shoot 2 and we just have to inbound the ball to the far court, even if they intercept there's no time. Did it even cross KO's mind? Most coaches do not foul and i don't get it.

There wouldn't be an inbounds pass. Marquette would have missed the second on purpose and it would have been a rugby scrum for a rebound, with time to put it back up once or twice if they got it.

Now we have to play better D than we did if we're going to go straight up. That's my biggest issue. Meet them 30 feet from the basket and force them to shoot on the move. But it's a lesson for the memory banks for Boat. And who knows - maybe KO will rethink it and foul from now on. If that becomes his strategy, I'd support it - I think you just need to have your philosophy and stick to it and coach your team to be ready.

Either way, if our players or KO learn some lessons in tough losses, it's not going to push me out on the ledge this year with no postseason. At the half, I thought we were going to lose this one by 15+, so I'm happy with how we played.

Reaction Score
There wouldn't be an inbounds pass. Marquette would have missed the second on purpose and it would have been a rugby scrum for a rebound, with time to put it back up once or twice if they got it.

Now we have to play better D than we did if we're going to go straight up. That's my biggest issue. Meet them 30 feet from the basket and force them to shoot on the move. But it's a lesson for the memory banks for Boat. And who knows - maybe KO will rethink it and foul from now on. If that becomes his strategy, I'd support it - I think you just need to have your philosophy and stick to it and coach your team to be ready.

Either way, if our players or KO learn some lessons in tough losses, it's not going to push me out on the ledge this year with no postseason. At the half, I thought we were going to lose this one by 15+, so I'm happy with how we played.
Even a terrible rebounding team like us still has position to get that rebound in a hi percentage, look most of the time the 3 doesn't go but does anyone have statistics on which way works best?

Reaction Score
a lot of times u see guys try to miss intentionally and they make it or miss rim entirely. even if they grab the rebound, it would likely be a long rebound with a few seconds left and marquette would rush it back up and miss the majority of the time. plus they have to make the first free throw to begin with
So many things can go wrong on those intentional miss plays, and with only 3 or so seconds left, and the refs more or less swallowing the whistle as they often do in that situation, the ball can bounce around, it can bounce way out for a long rebound, so many things can happen, and time runs all the while.

Reaction Score
I am always an advocate of fouling on the floor in that situation, I can't help but think the fact that Marquette was something like 1 for 15 from 3 (a bank no less) entered into KO's thinking. It's obviously a methodology handed down from JC but I totally disagree in general with not fouling on the floor in that situation.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
KO said they were supposed to foul. I'm glad to hear that. A sign of progressive thinking.

Reaction Score
KO said they were supposed to foul. I'm glad to hear that. A sign of progressive thinking.

Yeah - actually as I have thought about our personnel issues more, in addition to having defensive rebounding questions we also have small guards who are easier to shoot over. You obviously don't want to foul in that situation, and Boat actually did a pretty good job leaping out to contest (after playing too far off him to begin with), but being 5-11, he didn't really change the shot as much as a 6-4 guy might have. So either way you play it, we're at a bit of a disadvantage compared to what you would like to have ideally -- and the odds are a little better fouling.

Once Cadougan was squared to the basket, it was too late to foul, since he could get into the shooting motion too easily. Probably Giffey needed to stay with him and foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom