That's A Wrap | The Boneyard

That's A Wrap

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Moment was bigger than the Huskies. Again. Unfortunately, not many more games to show their worth.

Adams was beyond apathetic bad in the first half.

55 fouls, 58 FT's and 41 TO's combined. Ugly.

Hurley did a poor job managing the choppiness of the game due to the officiating. He really missed killing momentum change at the end of first half and beginning of the second half. I also don't put it past the refs to stick it to him occasionally because of the constant facial expressions. Needs to tone it down a bit towards the refs. Use the emotions to the players and the coaches on the bench.

Good to see Yakwe make the most of his minutes.

No idea how Cobb is such a poor FT shooter. He's got a soft touch. Team was 18-26. Without Cobb they were 17-21. Plenty good enough numbers.

Vital and Polley were no shows.

Carlton is getting the David Price rep. Every big game he consistently gets overwhelmed. (He'll have the chance to reverse the narrative like Price did).

Don't understand the flack Smith was getting in the chat room. He's one of the few plus athletes UConn has and he played well. Perfect? Not even close. But he's supposed to be the 4th guard and did more than enough to cover up Vital's insipid box score.

Sid missed shots but he can at least beat his man off the dribble and elevate to get a clean look.

Seemed like there was a wet spot just past midcourt on FSU's bench's side of the court. Lots of slipping by both teams there.

Really surprised to see FSU only had 7 assists. Yeah they had a bunch of put backs but they had great passes to get their break going and get those dunks. You don't have wide open downhill dunks without good ball movement.

Unless this team catches fire, it's a no NCAA year. Iowa, Zona and now FSU have shown the same flaws. Hero ball when they get down, carelessness with the ball and low basketball IQ.

Next year should be better.

Reaction Score
You're an all time cynic if you think three losses against top 35 teams (plus one win) means we're not making the tournament.
We are not making the tournament

Reaction Score
No one stepped up against Zona. Gilbert stepped up in garbage time against FSU. We're very mediocre in the big occasions.

Reaction Score
we won't make the tourney unless we win the american, reality check

Reaction Score
I think Nova is winnable game @ MSG.....heck AZ & FSU were very winnable and we lost so maybe they'll find a way to beat Nova.

We have no bad losses and Houston, Cincy, Temple, UCF all provide good opportunity wins. Not dead yet....

Really main goal is building for next couple years to hopefully make a deep run.

Last edited:

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
You're an all time cynic if you think three losses against top 35 teams (plus one win) means we're not making the tournament.
I wonder how "good" OOC losses will stack up with conference wins. Would seem like they needed at least one win against Iowa/Arizona/FSU. I guess we'll see how well they perform in conference.

Reaction Score
So frustrating. Simply put- again , besides AG , Jalen and maybe sid down the road, we just don’t have the talent. Can’t wait till next year when AG takes control of this team and we have Hurley’s main guys.

Reaction Score
If they played competitive , I’d be ok with it. But they pretty much got worked, made a last minute scramble late(my boy AG balled out) and then didn’t have enuff. Tired of past 3 years. Can’t wait till we get back on map again

Reaction Score
If they played competitive , I’d be ok with it. But they pretty much got worked, made a last minute scramble late(my boy AG balled out) and then didn’t have enuff. Tired of past 3 years. Can’t wait till we get back on map again
It’s a process.

Reaction Score
I think Nova is winnable game @ MSG.....heck AZ & FSU were winnable and we lost so maybe they'll find a way vs. Nova to beat them.

We have no bad losses and Houston, Cincy, Temple, UCF all provide good opportunity wins. Not dead yet....
Agree. Going into this season, I was hoping for no bad losses vs the cupcakes (Drexel, UMKC, etc), splitting the games in the 2K Classic, and getting one vs Arizona, FSU, or Villanova. As far as the AAC, I think 10-8 or 11-7 is a reasonable at worst expectation from what we have seen so far. That would put us at 20-21 wins going into the conference tournament.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Nova is winnable game @ MSG.....heck AZ & FSU were very winnable and we lost so maybe they'll find a way to beat Nova.

Really main goal is building for next couple years to hopefully make a deep run.

Cincy had a big win today for the conference beating Xavier. Tulsa beats a ranked K State.

WSU craps the bed and isn't that good this year.

Houston beats an average/bad OSU.

Conference is getting enough good OOC wins to have a good conference strength of schedule to get 4-5 teams in tourney.

Reaction Score
Cincy had a big win today for the conference beating Xavier. Tulsa beats a ranked K State.

WSU craps the bed and isn't that good this year.

Houston beats an average/bad OSU.

Conference is getting enough good OOC wins to have a good conference strength of schedule to get 4-5 teams in tourney.
Cincy’s next two games are at Mississippi St who is ranked, and vs UCLA. That would be huge if they can win both. I thought Cincinnati was supposed to have a down year, but they look strong again. We probably have played the toughest non conference schedule out of anybody in the AAC. Its too bad that Wichita St is having such a bad season so far. They were added for basketball only to improve the conference RPI and SOS, and it does not look like they will be adding much to the conference this year.

Reaction Score

Just put josh 3rd at the five. Maybe the role will help. Whaley? For some athleticism?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Zona was a very winnable game
FSU was a 1st 10 minute teaser then the real FSU showed up
The FSU team is stocked with seniors and guys who took the team deep into the dance last year - hell, their best 4 didn't even play
This game was actually a lot closer than I thought it would have been at the end
UConn has nothing to be hanging their heads about after this game except for free throw shooting- do they even practice that skill?
As far as the sloppiness and Turn Overs - 65% can be attributed to the style of play that DH wants them to play - they will decrease as the season grows.
FSU plan was to eliminate JA and they did that for the most part - AG did a great job of taking over the offense but when your opponents smallest player is 6'5" and built like a linebacker then you are going to end up forcing things and struggle to run your plays.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Zona was a very winnable game
FSU was a 1st 10 minute teaser then the real FSU showed up
The FSU team is stocked with seniors and guys who took the team deep into the dance last year - hell, their best 4 didn't even play
This game was actually a lot closer than I thought it would have been at the end
UConn has nothing to be hanging their heads about after this game except for free throw shooting- do they even practice that skill?
As far as the sloppiness and Turn Overs - 65% can be attributed to the style of play that Dan Hurley wants them to play - they will decrease as the season grows.
FSU plan was to eliminate JA and they did that for the most part - AG did a great job of taking over the offense but when your opponents smallest player is 6'5" and built like a linebacker then you are going to end up forcing things and struggle to run your plays.
The team outside of Wilson/Cobb shot 17/19 from the free throw line!!! Cobb was 1/5 and Wilson was 0/2 if you were curious Gilbert was 4/6 accounting for all the misses. That is not a bad FT shooting performance at least IMO. Cobb is Drummond level terrible from the line, and if he plays more minutes in big games he’s gonna bring the whole team’s percentage down. The knuckle heads calling this game for ESPN weren’t paying attention either, it’s ok.
This game was lost by a poor shooting performance in the middle 20 minutes and a major size disadvantage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can't discount the FT's discrepancy.

1544383882480.png

Reaction Score
Cincinnati was favored by 7 against Xavier. Not sure how "big" of a win that really is for the AAC

Reaction Score
Cincy’s next two games are at Mississippi St who is ranked, and vs UCLA. That would be huge if they can win both. I thought Cincinnati was supposed to have a down year, but they look strong again. We probably have played the toughest non conference schedule out of anybody in the AAC. Its too bad that Wichita St is having such a bad season so far. They were added for basketball only to improve the conference RPI and SOS, and it does not look like they will be adding much to the conference this year.
They did beat Providence

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom