That was an ugly title game to watch.. | The Boneyard

That was an ugly title game to watch..

Reaction Score
We almost had a team with only 1 legit scorer win the title by shooting 28% from the field, BUT had a defensive scheme worked to perfection. Tough to watch & I'm not sure good for wcbb. Reminded me of the very physical Rutger teams of a decade or so ago. I'm glad Stanford won.

Reaction Score
I take the opposite view and thought that it was a beautiful title game to watch. Arizona shot horribly and still hung in there and gave Stanford a run for their money. That Arizona defense was the real deal!

Reaction Score
I take the opposite view and thought that it was a beautiful title game to watch. Arizona shot horribly and still hung in there and gave Stanford a run for their money. That Arizona defense was the real deal!
I'd rather see the women's game evolve like the men's game. Much more fast & offensive-oriented the last several years. I dont want to see games where both teams average out to 35% shooting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We almost had a team with only 1 legit scorer win the title by shooting 28% from the field, BUT had a defensive scheme worked to perfection. Tough to watch & I'm not sure good for wcbb. Reminded me of the very physical Rutger teams of a decade or so ago. I'm glad Stanford won.

Arizona just doesn't play a pretty brand of basketball, very little offense and extremely good defensively which makes good offensive teams look bad (see Stanford, A&M, and UCONN). It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing but they nearly won the whole dang tournament with a roster of undersized and unheralded recruits while being massive underdogs and disrespected the entire tournament. Props to them. (And I was one who fully disrespected them until they beat UCONN).

And I'd personally rather see an ugly but competitive title game than a blowout with prettier basketball. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd rather see the women's game evolve like the men's game. Much more fast & offensive-oriented the last several years. I dont want to see games where both teams average out to 35% shooting.
I agree good offense is more fun to watch, but the problem is that this year good defense beat good offense in the tournament:
-Texas beating Maryland
-Arizona beating UCONN
-Arizona nearly beating Stanford
-Wright State beat Arkansas

This year overall was a weaker year talent wise in women's basketball, as the senior class was incredibly weak. Next year I expect that we'll get more pretty basketball from a number of teams that essentially return full rosters and wont have nearly as many distractions between covid, canceled games, etc.

Reaction Score
The last two possessions were really ugly. Stanford failed to get a shot off and Arizona passed into a double team. The Arizona coach should have used her last time out when she saw the defensive set.

Reaction Score
Stamford should of had a 'medical group' on the side line, to attend all their injured players.

Reaction Score
The last two possessions were really ugly. Stanford failed to get a shot off and Arizona passed into a double team. The Arizona coach should have used her last time out when she saw the defensive set.
I don’t think that was an option for Barnes, since the ball was in McDonald’s hands. If they called a timeout with 3 seconds left and Stanford successfully swarmed her on the next inbounds pass so she couldn’t get the ball again, and then someone else forced up a bad shot, she’d be killed for that timeout and not giving McDonald a chance to win it.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that was an option for Barnes, since the ball was in McDonald’s hands. If they called a timeout with 3 seconds left and Stanford successfully swarmed her on the next inbounds pass so she couldn’t get the ball again, and then someone else forced up a bad shot, she’d be killed for that timeout and not giving McDonald a chance to win it.
I meant before they inbounded.

Reaction Score
I meant before they inbounded.
An - yeah. That would have made sense. They were in a little bit of trouble where they inbounded it and McDonald had to waste a couple seconds getting to the middle of the floor.

Reaction Score
It went down to the wire. Calling it an ugly game bad for wbb is absurd. I was on the edge of my seat. It isn’t about perfect basketball. It is how you play the game of the moment. You want an ugly game? How about the game UConn played against Arizona? Glad I didn’t have to suffer through that in NC game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom