That was a very promising spring game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That was a very promising spring game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good, not great weather. Loses points for the wind and how the temp would go drop about ten degrees if a cloud passed in front of the sun but considering what we were dealing with vs. SMU, Cincy and UCF at the end of last year it is very hard to complain about 50 and sunny.

D played well. Nice to see Stewart getting pressure on the QBs.

Little disappointed by the run game. Optimistically I'd like to chalk that up to our DLine which will definitely be a strength next year.

Guys like Bradley, and to a greater extent Thomas played well as the third-fourth option out wide as the year progressed with defenses keying in on Davis and Foxx. It'll be an adjustment for them and likes of Lucas and Lemelle as everyone gets bumped on the target list. It won't be what it was last year but we still have a talented receiver corps.

Are we gonna run two tight end sets and send them downfield? That would be fantastic. The long pass to Tommy Meyers was great. McQuillan and Bloom are also decent pass catchers and big targets. Lots of options at tight end and they all have their strengths.

As for the QBs, Shirreffs played quite well. Loved his ability to scramble with a purpose and throw on the run. He looked like a rich man's Whitmer which with an improved OLine is way ahead of what he had. Like I stated in another thread I expected him to be way bigger than he is though. Boyle was Boyle. Didn't see enough to form an opinion on Davis but man he is a BIG dude. Give him a year in the weight room to turn what his now just big kid mass into man muscle and he could be a Taysom Hill-like scrambler. Is he still at BYU? Do we have to play that dude again?Ugh

I think the 3500 estimate is a little low. Probably afraid of being accused of inflating numbers. Everyone for the most part was in the bottom level of the sunny side and it was full minus the top few rows of the center section of chairbacks. A couple hundred sprinkled elsewhere. Probably closer to 4500-5k to me.
images

Reaction Score
I thought the run blocking was not too good though pass blocking was much improved. Among the running backs I was most impressed by 26. He ran hard every time he touched the ball and picked up the extra yard. Came out in white for the 2nd half and did the same thing. Johnson didn't look that good. Newsome needs to get the ball in space. He can't run between the tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate
Top Bottom