That One Handed Catch and Pass BY Lou... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That One Handed Catch and Pass BY Lou...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Question????? - If you're USF head coach Jose Fernandez, what do you do after last night's totally humbling and confidence draining loss? Do you order all copies of the game tape destroyed (never to be seen again) by the team's film coordinator and move on, and prepare for your next game against East Carolina on Saturday, or have have a team film session and force them to watch and relive the plays that led to the most embarrassing loss in team history? What do YOU do coach? :eek:
You never watch that film ever!!! There is nothing to be gained by watching it, there aren't even any teachable moments. That was as complete an ass-kicking as I've seen since the Sparty ladies spanked the tOSU in the B1G semis last season, they didn't do a bad job last night either. Will someone please tell Kitia Laksa that she isn't KLS and that to try to match shots with a gunslinger is futile....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Question????? - If you're USF head coach Jose Fernandez, what do you do after last night's totally humbling and confidence draining loss? Do you order all copies of the game tape destroyed (never to be seen again) by the team's film coordinator and move on, and prepare for your next game against East Carolina on Saturday, or have have a team film session and force them to watch and relive the plays that led to the most embarrassing loss in team history? What do YOU do coach? :eek:
I think you own it - you set up maybe a five minute clip of hustle plays where Uconn had more desire, and failures to get back quickly on defense, and you show it once and ask your players if that is the type of player they aspire to be, the one who doesn't dive on the floor, who jogs back on defense, who doesn't compete for a rebound. Make them angry and embarrassed, and then get in the gym and start working.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was mine also until Crystal's spin move later in the game.
I liked the spin, but I'd seen Crystal Dangerfield do that move a few times. Once I saw her turn the ball over when she did it. I'm glad she uses it sparingly, and it sure looked a treat last night.

Reaction Score
If you mess around with the tweet you can catch the after-the-game announcements.
You mean this:

I had no clue what you were talking about ...until I went and messed around with it. Head bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This assist over Diana's to Jess because.... it went in the dang basket!
I been corrected about that several times. Jess missed the layup and blew the assist.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Now that the replay is up there were some fast break passes by multiple players Saniya, Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, Kia that were breath taking in the precision, speed and accuracy. Most NCAA teams don't have a single player that can make those passes and UCONN is loaded with passers-unguardable!
This reminds me of a post I was going to make:

We often speak of a player having good hands or not. Usually that's when talking about bigs (Stef=good; Kiah=meh). But the Core Four on this team all have superb hands. They can catch anything, and on the run. Did you see the fast break where Saniya delivered an overhand fastball (may have been three-quarter) to Kia on the run and she caught it and scored? That had some hot sauce on it from about 12 feet.

Kia, Pheesa, Gabby, Lou . . . all exemplary.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This reminds me of a post I was going to make:

We often speak of a player having good hands or not. Usually that's when talking about bigs (Stef=good; Kiah=meh). But the Core Four on this team all have superb hands. They can catch anything, and on the run. Did you see the fast break where Saniya delivered an overhand fastball (may have been three-quarter) to Kia on the run and she caught it and scored? That had some hot sauce on it from about 12 feet.

Kia, Pheesa, Gabby, Lou . . . all exemplary.

The pinpoint accuracy and good hands was most impressive but it is also interesting to me that all the long cross court and full length passes usually have alot of zip on the ball while those from USF were mostly lobbed. It seems this can be explained by 1) good strength training 2) good coaching.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The pinpoint accuracy and good hands was most impressive but it is also interesting to me that all the long cross court and full length passes usually have alot of zip on the ball while those from USF were mostly lobbed. It seems this can be explained by 1) good strength training 2) good coaching.
I'm sure you're right. Plus, they do it every day.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You never watch that film ever!!! There is nothing to be gained by watching it, there aren't even any teachable moments. That was as complete an ass-kicking as I've seen since the Sparty ladies spanked the tOSU in the B1G semis last season, they didn't do a bad job last night either. Will someone please tell Kitia Laksa that she isn't KLS and that to try to match shots with a gunslinger is futile....

A little harsh. To keep the game somewhat close, Laksa needed to make alot of threes and she is dangerous if she is open. Lou can hit her threes because she is always open and in rhythm within our motion offense. Apparently our team did not seem to want Laksa to be open and comfortable. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Now that the replay is up there were some fast break passes by multiple players Saniya, Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, Kia that were breath taking in the precision, speed and accuracy. Most NCAA teams don't have a single player that can make those passes and UCONN is loaded with passers-unguardable!

Absolutely (as Kia Nurse would say). And speaking of Kia, my favorite moment was on a fast break when she lagged two USF players, ran past and between both, and, without breaking stride, took a bullet pass that she instantly scooped into the basket. The speed in that moment was breathtaking. The old "blink of an eye" score.

Reaction Score

Gee, I thought there were a few UConn players in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
You make a video of all the times they scored or had stops. ...this kind of a loss can't be good for a teams moral or confidence going forward so all you can do is try to lift their spirits...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
A little harsh. To keep the game somewhat close, Laksa needed to make alot of threes and she is dangerous if she is open. Lou can hit her threes because she is always open and in rhythm within our motion offense. Apparently our team did not seem to want Laksa to be open and comfortable. :rolleyes:
Laksa was open, but missed a lot of shots. IMHO, she was trying to play one-on-one against KLS instead of playing within USF's offense. The same thing happened in the tOSU-Sparty game and Tori Jankoska had a huge game, she scored 42, Kelsey Mitchell didn't play as well.

Reaction Score
Lou's signature play wouldn't have been possible without a really poor pass by Kia on the break! :cool: When she made that pass I was sure it was going to be a turnover because it was behind a pretty well guarded Lou. Lou saved her bacon! :)
Nah. They practice that play every day. ;)

Reaction Score

Jose Fernandez was not happy, to say the least. I've never seen a team of his roll over. He said we were content to get our asses kicked. That's how it looked to me, too. No fight whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Lou's signature play wouldn't have been possible without a really poor pass by Kia on the break! :cool: When she made that pass I was sure it was going to be a turnover because it was behind a pretty well guarded Lou. Lou saved her bacon! :)

If you watch the replay, Kia put the ball in the only place the defenders can't get it.

Maybe she shouldn't have made the pass, but I'm really glad she did.

Reaction Score
It reminded me of Larry Bird's "re-direct touch passes" - saw him do that a lot back in his day.

I also loved Gabby's crashing the board, grabbing that rebound cleanly and putting it back in for two!
quick trivia ..... anyone know why Lou wears number 33? :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Jose Fernandez was not happy, to say the least. I've never seen a team of his roll over. He said we were content to get our asses kicked. That's how it looked to me, too. No fight whatsoever.

The hype for that game began when the horn sounded in the East Carolina game. Because of the numerical significance of the streak, and USF being UConn's biggest league rival, this game was huge for both teams.

For USF to be completely taken out of the game in the first 10 minutes, was not only a surprise to Fernandez, but embarrassing as well.

The game was over at the half; both coaches knew it. Neither one figured UConn would / could dominate SF as quickly and easily as the did.

Most teams would be happy to score 65 pts against USF, a 65 margin of victory is unimaginable, especially against a ranked team with only 1 loss.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It reminded me of Larry Bird's "re-direct touch passes" - saw him do that a lot back in his day.

I also loved Gabby's crashing the board, grabbing that rebound cleanly and putting it back in for two!

As Geno said, he and his staff coach X's & O's. They don't coach effort and energy. Geno likes players that are high energy and self motivated. They can play tired, and won't quit on you.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The hype for that game began when the horn sounded in the East Carolina game. Because of the numerical significance of the streak, and USF being UConn's biggest league rival, this game was huge for both teams.

For USF to be completely taken out of the game in the first 10 minutes, was not only a surprise to Fernandez, but embarrassing as well.

The game was over at the half; both coaches knew it. Neither one figured UConn would / could dominate SF as quickly and easily as the did.

Most teams would be happy to score 65 pts against USF, a 65 margin of victory is unimaginable, especially against a ranked team with only 1 loss.

And I wonder what Tulsa's players, the lowest team in the conference that we haven't played yet this year, are feeling in anticipation of playing the Huskies?

I simply enjoyed how the women played against USF but I also feel bad for the Bulls and Jose. I hope this doesn't derail their season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I wonder what Tulsa's players, the lowest team in the conference that we haven't played yet this year, are feeling in anticipation of playing the Huskies?

I simply enjoyed how the women played against USF but I also feel bad for the Bulls and Jose. I hope this doesn't derail their season.
I hope it actually energizes their season - he has a lot of new players that haven't seen the mountaintop until Tuesday night. They already threw a clunker against LBS, and now he really has a cudgel to get some more energy out of them. It was embarrassing, and not many people just shrug something like that off - hopefully they get mad and take it out on the practice floor and all their future opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom