That fourth quarter punt | The Boneyard

That fourth quarter punt

Reaction Score
I’m sorry this has been on my mind since it happened. When I saw the punter jog out there I thought it was a joke. Punting in NC st territory down two scores with 8 minutes left. Shows you what the goal was: “keep it close-ish”. 4th and 15 with the game on the line is so unobtainable that we just roll over and call off the fight? You’re gonna hype up this home opener and new era of UConn football but not even try to go for it on a fourth down bc the distance is too spooky? It wasn’t like it was 25+ yards it was only 15!! We gonna start punting on third downs now too? Play scared you get what you get

Reaction Score
I’m sorry this has been on my mind since it happened. When I saw the punter jog out there I thought it was a joke. Punting in NC st territory down two scores with 8 minutes left. Shows you what the goal was: “keep it close-ish”. 4th and 15 with the game on the line is so unobtainable that we just roll over and call off the fight? You’re gonna hype up this home opener and new era of UConn football but not even try to go for it on a fourth down bc the distance is too spooky? It wasn’t like it was 25+ yards it was only 15!! We gonna start punting on third downs now too? Play scared you get what you get
It was the right percentage play. Pin them deep and hope you get it back with good field position. 4th and 7 -- you have a case. 4th and 15th -- too low a percentage play.

Reaction Score
It was the right percentage play. Pin them deep and hope you get it back with good field position. 4th and 7 -- you have a case. 4th and 15th -- too low a percentage play.
Right, if you don't make it, and the way the game was going we wouldn't have, giving them field position at that point would've ended the game for us right there. It wasn't 4th and short.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I guess that's why you are not a football coach.

Reaction Score
Chances of a fourth and 15 are very low. Pin them down and go 3 and out has to be the goal.

Reaction Score
Yeah we pinned them to the 20 and 5 plays later they were at the same spot they would have been had we gone for it.

So the plan was three and out (which we hadn’t done all day), field their punt, score quick (which we hadn’t done all day), kick off, get another three and out, and then score quick again??? This is all more likely than a 15 yard pass???

We get what we deserve

Reaction Score
IMG_6383.jpeg

This is the closest I could find looking quickly. They were cowards then and were cowards now. But hey at least we only lost by 10.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Especially when we can’t keep the ball out of the end zone

Reaction Score
“Chiefs should have punted on fourth and 25” - you guys

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
“Chiefs should have punted on fourth and 25” - you guys
How'd that work out for them?

Also, they punted on 4th and 4 from their own 31 with 4 minutes left, and their 4th and 25 was on their own 30 with 2:10 left and they were down by 1. Otherwise, comparable situations...

Reaction Score

Also, they punted on 4th and 4 from their own 31 with 4 minutes left, and their 4th and 25 was on their own 30 with 2:10 left and they were down by 1. Otherwise, comparable situations...
They lost when they gave up a first down, just like they would have if they punted. Which I guess has been my point this entire time

Reaction Score

Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

They lost when they gave up a first down, just like they would have if they punted. Which I guess has been my point this entire time
Yes, we heard your point. You are still wrong.

Going for it one 4th and 15 with that much time left was a bad idea

Reaction Score
Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Yes, we heard your point. You are still wrong.

Going for it one 4th and 15 with that much time left was a bad idea
Why? Bc you lose if you don’t get it? They lost by 10 anyways. How do you have a summer long qb competition and the winner can’t be trusted to get 15 yards.

If you enjoy football where you willingly give the ball back on your opponents side of the field with less than 8 minutes left down by 2 scores, good for you. Braver man than me

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much always in favor of going for it, outside of extreme cases like inside your own 20 or 10+ yards to go. But here are the numbers for the UConn punt

IMG_4779.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think the punt was an okay decision in an situation where there were no good options. It was more a case of what the coach saw as the least bad move.

Mora obviously thought this was our best chance to win or tie. I don't think he saw it as a surrender move.

Reaction Score
Why? Bc you lose if you don’t get it? They lost by 10 anyways. How do you have a summer long qb competition and the winner can’t be trusted to get 15 yards.

If you enjoy football where you willingly give the ball back on your opponents side of the field with less than 8 minutes left down by 2 scores, good for you. Braver man than me
Quit whining and answer one questions: do you know the odds of a team with under 100 passing yards converting a 4th and 15? What do you think it might have been?

Reaction Score
Quit whining and answer one questions: do you know the odds of a team with under 100 passing yards converting a 4th and 15? What do you think it might have been?
Fair, but conversely, what are the odds of them punting, getting a stop, getting the ball back, having to run a hurry up offense, score, get another three and out and run another hurry up offense to score again? Completing one pass of 15 yards seems like something I’d much rather try. Was anyone watching thinking “yeah we still go this”? Pretty sure this is when half the stadium flocked out.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much always in favor of going for it, outside of extreme cases like inside your own 20 or 10+ yards to go. But here are the numbers for the UConn punt

View attachment 91320
I don’t know what the 3.48 means hahah I plugged in the one I linked above from the nfl game and it didn’t spit out the percentage like the twitter account does. But I’m assuming it’s not as cowardly as I thought.

Reaction Score
Fair, but conversely, what are the odds of them punting, getting a stop, getting the ball back, having to run a hurry up offense, score, get another three and out and run another hurry up offense to score again? Completing one pass of 15 yards seems like something I’d much rather try. Was anyone watching thinking “yeah we still go this”? Pretty sure this is when half the stadium flocked out.
What are the odds of them not making it? And NC State scoring? The odds are all long shots. The question is what long shot does the coach think his team is capable of accomplishing.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the 3.48 means hahah I plugged in the one I linked above from the nfl game and it didn’t spit out the percentage like the twitter account does. But I’m assuming it’s not as cowardly as I thought.
I wasn't too sure either, and still not entirely sure. I scrolled through the Twitter account and it looks like it's roughly 75-80th percentile, so maybe slightly above average. I was pretty surprised because in my mind it was pretty much conceding the game at that point. I guess the odds of converting a 4th and 15 are low enough to make a punt logical

Reaction Score
We don't have a prolific offense or anything that can go for it on 4th & 15 or 20 whenever we need to, especially against superior talent. Sometimes you have to play to keep it close just to give yourself a chance to stay in the game, even if it seems too safe or boring in the moment. Sorry if you think it's a wuss move.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry to go all lawyer on you, but “fair” is not responsive. “No” would be responsive. As you implied it, we all know that you don’t know the answer. Goodness only knows why you wouldn’t just admit that.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Yeah we pinned them to the 20 and 5 plays later they were at the same spot they would have been had we gone for it.

So the plan was three and out (which we hadn’t done all day), field their punt, score quick (which we hadn’t done all day), kick off, get another three and out, and then score quick again??? This is all more likely than a 15 yard pass???

We get what we deserve
Dude. Get a therapist. This take is truly delusional.

Reaction Score
So they went for it on fourth and 15 on their own 38 down 21 this week (and didn't get it). They ended up losing by 21, but I think that still only counts as 1 loss. I'll check. Should we have punted and tried to play for three stops?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom