That Fast Break Play. Yes, That one. | The Boneyard

That Fast Break Play. Yes, That one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So many morsels of goodness wrapped in to 5 seconds.

First off Karaban getting the rebound and looking ahead. The dark days would have a UConn player grab a rebound, stand there and wait to hand off to a guard. Not any more.

Secondly, Karaban being aware there was no obvious outlet nearby so he looks ahead. His vision and, more importantly, his ability to thread a 40' pass over several defenders and hitting Jax in stride was a special, dare I say, Nadav level play.

Next up you have Jackson catching in stride and turning Karaban's pass in to a pillowy soft lob perfectly arced at the rim all in one step.

And then you have Clingan sprinting past everyone and rim running. Twelve months ago there was plenty of conversation on this board if Clingan, as a freshman, would be fast enough to play high level ball. The conditioning he and the staff have done has paid off so many times. Clingan gets the flush. The announcers noted a few more times how Clingan sprinting back on D stopped Arkansas fast breaks and made the Hogs turn away from the hoop.

There isn't a coach in the country who can game plan against those types of plays. Jimmy and Joes FTW.

Reaction Score

First off Karaban getting the rebound and looking ahead. The dark days would have a UConn player grab a rebound, stand there and wait to hand off to a guard. Not any more.

Secondly, Karaban being aware there was no obvious outlet nearby so he looks ahead. His vision and, more importantly, his ability to thread a 40' pass over several defenders and hitting Jax in stride was a special, dare I say, Nadav level play.

Next up you have Jackson catching in stride and turning Karaban's pass in to a pillowy soft lob perfectly arced at the rim all in one step.

And then you have Clingan sprinting past everyone and rim running. Twelve months ago there was plenty of conversation on this board if Clingan, as a freshman, would be fast enough to play high level ball. The conditioning he and the staff have done has paid off so many times. Clingan gets the flush. The announcers noted a few more times how Clingan sprinting back on D stopped Arkansas fast breaks and made the Hogs turn away from the hoop.

There isn't a coach in the country who can game plan against those types of plays. Jimmy and Joes FTW.
Perfectly executed and then.. The final touch.. Quick camera shot into the crowd for a Bill Murray dunk motion as the guys get back on D.. Priceless

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Perfectly executed and then.. The final touch.. Quick camera shot into the crowd for a Bill Murray dunk motion as the guys get back on D.. Priceless

Bill Murray Help GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ball never touched the court

Which is how every press break should look. Dribbling through a press is fine for a guy with Iverson level ball handling, but it's still less effective. All summer this place was "where are the ball handlers?!". Our ball handlers are fine, but the offense is intended to function on motion and passing, not ISO breakdowns. It's why we have so many assists. We're about as close to the Golden State Warriors as college basketball gets.

Reaction Score
Which is how every press break should look. Dribbling through a press is fine for a guy with Iverson level ball handling, but it's still less effective. All summer this place was "where are the ball handlers?!". Our ball handlers are fine, but the offense is intended to function on motion and passing, not ISO breakdowns. It's why we have so many assists. We're about as close to the Golden State Warriors as college basketball gets.

I used to have my team vote for fastest dribbler and have him line up with me on the baseline. I'd tell him whoever can get the ball to the other end of the court first wins, and I'd line up like I was going to dribble.

Then I'd just pitch the thing 100 feet into the bleachers on the other end and say "I didn't say you had to dribble"

Kids caught onto it every couple seasons, but it shaped our mentality about breaking presses.

Reaction Score
Karaban's pass was incredible. How often do we see guys attempt the home run pass, only for it to be A) easily picked off by the defense, or B) 10 feet out of bounds?

His was right on the money to Jackson, in stride, who knew already what he wanted to do with it (I think in general he's a little too predictable in looking to pass instead of taking it himself, but in this case was the right move). And then perfect touch on the lob.

Reaction Score

That play reminded me of the 99 Big East championship game vs. St. John's. Rip rebounded, outlet to Moore, up the floor to Khalid, lob to Freeman for the dunk.

The first ten minutes of that game were, in my mind, the best stretch of basketball that any UConn team had ever played, until last night.

Reaction Score
That particular break reminded me of Calhoun's guys.. Esp when Nadav or Doron were quarterbacking the break.. Defense doesn't have a chance when you've got that type of speed and precision and athleticism on the wings..

Karaban's vision and passing has really gone to another level this year as the season has progressed... A part of his game that really helps this team.. Not too many 4's that have his playmaking abilities

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was so much to praise on that one play but that the biggest guy on the court out sprinted the entire Arkansas team the length of the court displays an other worldly level of determination to win.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

As great as that play was, I loved the play when Sanogo backed down his defender, drew a triple team, then made a backwards bounce pass to wide open Andre Jackson. What a tremendous play

Reaction Score
Karaban’s BBIQ is tremendous. After making sure he had secured the board, he IMMEDIATELY looked up for that pass. It’s really easy to forget he’s a freshman a lot of times.
We all had a feeling he had a good mind for the port coming in, but you gotta figure having come here last spring sped up his trajectory. He doesn’t make many, if any freshman mistakes. He’s been a starter since day 1 and has often had the most difficult defensive assignment. That takes a ton of respect/trust from the coaching staff. Most times, you have to be a blue chip recruit to get that treatment.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I felt like that play flattened Arkansas' wheels right then and there. Like a "what the hell are we dealing with here, Sanogo is on the bench, who is this?" type moment.

As great as that play was, I loved the play when Sanogo backed down his defender, drew a triple team, then made a backwards bounce pass to wide open Andre Jackson. What a tremendous play

Yes, that was real good. Double bonus because Harlan and Bonner had prompted Van Gundy a couple of times of how do you cover the shooters and still defend Sanogo and Van Gundy said he wasn't so sure how good Sanogo is passing out of double and triple teams while he is dribbling.

Arkansas had nothing on any defensive strategy which worked. Demoralizing offensive performance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Like a "what the hell are we dealing with here, Sanogo is on the bench, who is this?" type moment.
3 games running, except Arkansas did exhibit some awareness by being ready to turn around and pass away from the basket with regularity.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That was the one that got texted to my sister as "Thrilling."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When they showed a replay from behind, one of the Arkansas players had a handful of Sanogo's jersey but it had no effect. The second defender came over to trap and Sanogo bounced it to AJ. The second defender just turned (he didn't identify the pass until it was too late) and looked defeated.

At that point they had to be thinking "we can't stop Sanogo one on one and we can't double him".

It was beautiful!

Reaction Score
No doubt the perfectly executed fast beak ending in a thunderous alley oop dunk gets everyone off their feet.

But that assist by Adama was so pretty, so unexpected and showed such a high level of basketball skill, court awareness and communication between teammates. So good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom