That damned cannon... | The Boneyard

That damned cannon...

Reaction Score
Went to West Point for last year's game. Loved the pageantry as the Corps of Cadets entered the stadium, the paratroopers landed on the dot at midfield to deliver the game ball, & the patriotism displayed on site. The Cadets who acted as concessionaires were kind & courteous. Everything about the game day experience was heartwarming EXCEPT the artillery barrage after every Army score. (Early & often) My hope is that, on THIS Saturday, that gun is silenced by our improved defense. It's a tough chore, but it CAN be accomplished.

Reaction Score
Do you have any tips for a first-time visitor to West Point for a football game?
How tightly packed is the parking lot for tailgating?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you have any tips for a first-time visitor to West Point for a football game?
My main tip is leave plenty of time for getting home. You won't be getting out of there very quickly unless you leave at halftime. We tailgated but it was on the modest side. Sandwiches instead of grilling.

Reaction Score
I've been there a few times when my high school marching band went during band day. Get there early and explore a bit. It's so beautiful to walk around and see. I'm not sure about parking, but I'm pretty sure it isn't too bad.

Reaction Score
Our parking pass (a MUST to get on base) had us going in at an auxiliary gate. As was stated. you drive down hills in zig-zag fashion until you get to the designated parking area (GREAT view of the Hudson). Limited space for tailgating, but we set up folding chairs and made sandwiches also. Can't remember the details, but we didn't bring a portable grill due to the ban of incendiary devices on base. (We DID sneak in a Colman stove to cook eggs & bacon). After tailgating, we took a shuttle bus to the Stadium, Remember the bus designation for the ride back. As we were staying overnight, we went to the hotel just inside the main gate to have drinks & apps on the outside patio bar. Spoke with a lot of West Point grads on a game rehash. Except for the final outcome, a thoroughly enjoyable day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My main tip is leave plenty of time for getting home. You won't be getting out of there very quickly unless you leave at halftime. We tailgated but it was on the modest side. Sandwiches instead of grilling.
After the game, go walk around the monuments, enjoy the campus and the beautiful views of the Hudson. It wouldn’t surprise me if you get invited to an Army tailgate, it happens pretty frequently. When you’re done with all that drive out easily, effortlessly, and without delay. It always amuses me to see the lemmings rushing to get out of a stadium, so they can beat the traffic, but instead are putting themselves right in the worst of the traffic.

JMHO

Get there early for their Cadet parade which is fun. As I said above, the campus is absolutely beautiful. Try stopping by the Cadet Chapel, which is very nice and some thing that many people miss.

Reaction Score
I went to the Army West Point lacrosse camp back in the day. It's a gorgeous campus with a lot of hills and views. I got to play in Michie Stadium which was a treat. We stayed in the barracks and were treated like cadets. Pretty cool experience.

Reaction Score
Thanks all. In the spirit of sharing = caring, here's a pretty good write-up of the gameday experience at West Point: As For Football’s Guide to Michie Stadium (2021 Edition) - As For Football

BTW - after being in the stands when a 1-10 Uconn team lost to a 1-10 SMU team (who was called a false start penalty when in the victory formation) and a lousy, rainy UMASS/Uconn game where you could hear the conversations between band members over the crowd, Saturday was fun - and as loud as the Rent has been in the last decade plus. Hopefully, it's fun, we're loud and we go home with a win on Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom