That Brenda Frese doesn't know how to prepare her team | The Boneyard

That Brenda Frese doesn't know how to prepare her team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My complaint with Brenda was that she was running up scores against awful Division II opponents
for no reason...............are you saying that Maryland's good play is the result of that tactic? Also, Jeff Walz is no Boneyard darling from what I've read here over the past months...........I think most believe he is a nice guy, pretty good coach and an extremely aggressive recruiter ..........most comments here revolve around his many, many scholarship offers to many, many players............and those comments usually contain sarcasm of one form or another.................

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A good victory no doubt. I've never said they weren't a good team. My complaints were never about the regular season. My complaints then as now is about how to prepare a team FOR THE NCAA's. By playing cupcakes AND playing in an only fair division she is doing her team a disservice. It has proven to be true the last few years and Frese is on course this year to do the same. Nothing has changed. And also let's be clear. Louisville is an undersized and flailing team right now. Maryland was supposed to beat this team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My complaint with Brenda was that she was running up scores against awful Division II opponents
for no reason.....are you saying that Maryland's good play is the result of that tactic? Also, Jeff Walz is no Boneyard darling from what I've read here over the past months......I think most believe he is a nice guy, pretty good coach and an extremely aggressive recruiter .....most comments here revolve around his many, many scholarship offers to many, many players..and those comments usually contain sarcasm of one form or another.......
I actually think most here like Jeff, but we do rag him on his scattershot recruiting - my feeling is that in the last couple of years he has finally begun winning the battle for top 10 talent so he needs to start being a bit more selective in his recruiting. When you are trying to get there, you take any talent that you can get through the door and try to make it 'stick' and/or 'fit', but once you start getting the Durr quality, you want to be more selective. It is the transition period for him, but he still seems like a kid in a candy store with his offers.

Reaction Score
IMO L'ville is not in a good place as a team right now I saw them lose their last game and they were really out of their usual style!
Frese will find a way to screw it up she has before and she will again! She has really good players but she's found lacking as a HC!

Reaction Score
I think Mr Walz is much more of a, "darling", over in voleville where he's seen as a possible white knight to lead them back to the promised land. It would be funny if it weren't so damned depressing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A good victory no doubt. I've never said they weren't a good team. My complaints were never about the regular season. My complaints then as now is about how to prepare a team FOR THE NCAA's. By playing cupcakes AND playing in an only fair division she is doing her team a disservice. It has proven to be true the last few years and Frese is on course this year to do the same. Nothing has changed. And also let's be clear. Louisville is an undersized and flailing team right now. Maryland was supposed to beat this team.

Undersized? Louisville has 6 players 6'2 and above.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Frese has proven she's one of the better coaches in the country. Her teams have overachieved the last three years and she quietly has done a very good job of developing talent. Toliver, Coleman, Thomas, SWK, and Jones are all examples of players who became much better over their careers at Maryland. A lot of times her teams have a "hit or miss" quality, and in big games you don't necessarily know which team will show up, but Maryland is one of the only teams with the talent and ability to upset Uconn.

I'm also not sure why Brenda received a lot of criticism for scheduling a weak Division II team. At least her OOC schedule is solid and she plays in a good conference. I'd be harsher on a good team that only schedules cupcakes for OOC--who cares about exhibition games? Is winning by 50, 60, or 70 really that much more more noble than winning by 100+? One could make the same argument that Connecticut runs up the score against lesser teams and could be "unsportsmanlike" in any of their games they win by 40+ points.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Frese has proven she's one of the better coaches in the country. Her teams have overachieved the last three years and she quietly has done a very good job of developing talent. Toliver, Coleman, Thomas, SWK, and Jones are all examples of players who became much better over their careers at Maryland. A lot of times her teams have a "hit or miss" quality, and in big games you don't necessarily know which team will show up, but Maryland is one of the only teams with the talent and ability to upset Uconn.

I'm also not sure why Brenda received a lot of criticism for scheduling a weak Division II team. At least her OOC schedule is solid and she plays in a good conference. I'd be harsher on a good team that only schedules cupcakes for OOC--who cares about exhibition games? Is winning by 50, 60, or 70 really that much more more noble than winning by 100+? One could make the same argument that Connecticut runs up the score against lesser teams and could be "unsportsmanlike" in any of their games they win by 40+ points.
but UConn also smacks Top 5 ranked team... they dont fold during March Madness
HUGE DIFFERENCE

Reaction Score

To beat awful teams by 100 points in preseason is not only unsportsmanlike it also does very little to prepare your team.........in Brenda's case, she has top five talent so I'm not at all surprised her team is performing like a top five team..........the question is what happens when they get to the tournament, that's where her coaching and the team's true nature will be revealed..................

Reaction Score
As usual many people are missing the point here. We are not UConn and play in the AAC. We play in the Big 10 with many solid (but not great) teams. Maryland don't need to schedule 10 top 20 teams in OOC. They have four decent/above average teams on their schedule, a fifth game against a team who won a tournament game last year (on the road against Duquesne) plus 8 soft teams. Maryland don't "need" to play 6/8 top 25 teams. They get enough competition in the Big 10. The reason why Maryland won two games by 126/129 point was partially because of the poor competition but in reality Maryland actually has a really good team. Kentucky men basketball team won their exhibition game by over 100 points. Maryland's bottom 5 players (the last players on the bench) are Sarah Myers, Jenna Staiti, Kiah Gillespie, Brianna Fraser and Blair Watson. You have three McDonald's All Americans and a state of Georgia POY. Odds are they will destroy all Div.2 or Div 3 teams.

Reaction Score
As usual many people are missing the point here. We are not UConn and play in the AAC. We play in the Big 10 with many solid (but not great) teams. Maryland don't need to schedule 10 top 20 teams in OOC. They have four decent/above average teams on their schedule, a fifth game against a team who won a tournament game last year (on the road against Duquesne) plus 8 soft teams. Maryland don't "need" to play 6/8 top 25 teams. They get enough competition in the Big 10. The reason why Maryland won two games by 126/129 point was partially because of the poor competition but in reality Maryland actually has a really good team. Kentucky men basketball team won their exhibition game by over 100 points. Maryland's bottom 5 playersith us Boneyarders (the last players on the bench) are Sarah Myers, Jenna Staiti, Kiah Gillespie, Brianna Fraser and Blair Watson. You have three McDonald's All Americans and a state of Georgia POY. Odds are they will destroy all Div.2 or Div 3 teams.

I appreciate your frustration with us Boneyarders but those ridiculously one sided victories against teams that barely won a game in their own division seem peculiar for a team of Maryland's quality...........consider it a compliment.............many of us here view Maryland as one of the most threatening teams on the UConn schedule..........I was at the MSG game last year and it was a really tough victory even with our big three playing.............we expect an even tougher game the next time the teams play in College Park

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As usual many people are missing the point here. We are not UConn and play in the AAC. We play in the Big 10 with many solid (but not great) teams. Maryland don't need to schedule 10 top 20 teams in OOC. They have four decent/above average teams on their schedule, a fifth game against a team who won a tournament game last year (on the road against Duquesne) plus 8 soft teams. Maryland don't "need" to play 6/8 top 25 teams. They get enough competition in the Big 10. The reason why Maryland won two games by 126/129 point was partially because of the poor competition but in reality Maryland actually has a really good team. Kentucky men basketball team won their exhibition game by over 100 points. Maryland's bottom 5 players (the last players on the bench) are Sarah Myers, Jenna Staiti, Kiah Gillespie, Brianna Fraser and Blair Watson. You have three McDonald's All Americans and a state of Georgia POY. Odds are they will destroy all Div.2 or Div 3 teams.

It's an exhibition game--we routinely see teams win games by 50-100 points. I don't see what all the uproar is about in dominating an exhibition game.

It's also a chance for your players, who are competing for playing time, to play in front of a crowd for the first time in several months. Asking them to hold back/go light isn't practical when the whole point of exhibition games is to see how your team will react in a game like situation.

Maryland's schedule is fine and plenty challenging. Louisville, Arizona State and Connecticut along with a solid B1G this year is a very good schedule, nothing to criticize there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As usual many people are missing the point here.
And perhaps you are missing our point. A roster with that many AA and state player of the year & a team contending for a national championship should not have a schedule that include these teams:

UMASS Lowell
Maryland Eastern Shore
Mount St. Mary's
Niagara
UMBC
Towson
Saint Peter's
Loyola (Md.)
Cupcakes is too kind a word for this schedule!

Reaction Score
Her forcing her team to beat those Div II teams like a drum during pre-season was a disgrace. As a player on her team I would have just run the clock out each time I got the ball. Of course I have always been someone who respects others... most of the time. I lost 90 percent of the respect I had for her because of that action. Big surprise that a top 5 team can "destroy" a Div II or Div III team. To have that little respect for the opponents tells me all I need to know about her. I'll get off my soap box so others may continue.

Reaction Score
The question for Maryland, as it has been for the past several years, is how consistent can they be? The past few seasons they have laid an egg of a game at the most inopportune time. They certainly have the talent to challenge anyone in WCBB, but they have to be consistent through the entire season and through the NCAA tournament.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Undersized? Louisville has 6 players 6'2 and above.
You are right, I stand corrected. Walz so often plays 4 guards I'd forgotten their roster has two ladies at 6'4" and two at 6'3". His team certainly doesn't play big.

JordyG

Reaction Score
And perhaps you are missing our point. A roster with that many AA and state player of the year & a team contending for a national championship should not have a schedule that include these teams:

UMASS Lowell
Maryland Eastern Shore
Mount St. Mary's
Niagara
UMBC
Towson
Saint Peter's
Loyola (Md.)
And again as last year and the year before, having so many good players while playing "strawman" teams didn't prepare them for the championships. What it prepared them for was an early exit. There is a saying that says doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different response is a sign of insanity.

Reaction Score

UMASS Lowell
Maryland Eastern Shore
Mount St. Mary's
Niagara
UMBC
Towson
Saint Peter's
Loyola (Md.)

Do not forget the team that has not won in four years.

They play in a very weak conference too. Ohio State, is the only possible good team. And they play once. They will need a pulse to win 30 games.

No wonder they put the final four dates on the schedule. They will get a high seed and have an easy path to the final four.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Again you are missing the point. Your conference is average at best. Frese consistently schedules a rash of cupcakes. All of this over the last few years has proved to be fatal during the most important part of the season: the NCAA's. The Terps have folded in the championships these last few not for lack of talent, but lack of preparation. And now Frese has a young team which by the way was her best recruiting year ever. This from the women who complained, in a thinly disguised statement about UConn, (and I paraphrase) that when you get the best recruits winning easy. Last year Frese came to town and played one game on one night against UConn and played well. Then folded again once the music started. You'd think she'd have changed her prep a bit, but clearly not at all. Well, it's put up or shut time. Mulkey saw the light and scheduled a tough OOC while playing in a far tougher conference. Louisville is taking it on the chin now but this will pay dividends down the road, again in a tougher conference. Texas as well. Instead it seems Frese has chosen the easy path to the Dance where she'll again be a wallflower.

Reaction Score
Mulkey saw the light and scheduled a tough OOC while playing in a far tougher conference. Louisville is taking it on the chin now but this will pay dividends down the road, again in a tougher conference. Texas as well. Instead it seems Frese has chosen the easy path to the Dance where she'll again be a wallflower.

It seems you’re suggesting that Maryland’s soft OOC schedule was a significant contributing factor in their 2nd round loss in last year’s NCAA tournament, and that this year the team again won’t be ready - unlike Baylor, Texas and Louisville. It seems that you're predicting a greater likelihood of success for those three teams.

Last year, Louisville, a #3 seed, lost to DePaul in the 2nd round, like Maryland, a #2 seed.

Texas, also a #2, lost to Uconn in the Elite Eight round, as did Baylor, a #1 seed that lost to #2 Oregon State.

Why did Louisville, Texas and Baylor lose these games? Was it because they were playing teams with superior talent and/or superior coaching? Was it because they were playing teams that got hot at the right moment?

Why would Maryland’s 2nd round loss to Washington (an eventual Final Four team) be more attributable to its OOC schedule than any other possible factor?

In 2015 and 2014, Maryland made it to the Final Four - in 2014 as a #4 seed, surpassing the expectations of the NCAA committee, and in 2015 as a #1 seed, meeting its expectations.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

UMASS Lowell - Boston area
Maryland Eastern Shore - Maryland (duh)
Mount St. Mary's - Maryland
Niagara - Upperstate New York
UMBC - (University of Maryland - Baltimore County)
Towson - Baltimore, Maryland
Saint Peter's, Jersey City, New Jersey
Loyola (Md.) - Baltimore, Maryland
Did they cut the women's team travel budget?

Reaction Score
Sorry you cant put Texas in this conversation because Uconn was way ahead of everybody last year! Texas played them the toughest in the tourney! Losing by 51 tn the sweet 16 to come back and draw Conn again in the Elite 8 and lose by about 20 after seeing what they did to Miss. State ( 98 - 38 ) in the Sweet 16! Any other bracket Texas makes FF. Texas players played really tough as a team and Karen Aston had them not just physically but also mentally ready for Connecticut last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom