That 1st offensive play. | The Boneyard

That 1st offensive play.

Reaction Score
I mean, after a month of preparation we came out and immediately put us behind the 8 ball by running a conservative play that was also risky. You haven't run option all year. They tried it once pitching to Millen I believe and that was also a turnover. The 2nd turnover was also a conservative call a screen pass.

I really believe coaches sometimes outsmart themselves trying to be too risk averse. The team played better when they took chances.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was bad, but there were several other plays I found offensive.

I'll see my way out.

Reaction Score
It was not a conservative play. The only other time we ran that I think it was ZT trying to pitch to Millen and we lost yards at the Rent running towards the scoreboard. It was a stupid first play call today. Then we bring in Millen and do we hand off to Burns or Rosa? How about Millen taking the snap under center. Nope we have Millen run it. Marshall never saw that coming. Charlton had a terrible first half.

Reaction Score
I mean, after a month of preparation we came out and immediately put us behind the 8 ball by running a conservative play that was also risky. You haven't run option all year. They tried it once pitching to Millen I believe and that was also a turnover. The 2nd turnover was also a conservative call a screen pass.

I really believe coaches sometimes outsmart themselves trying to be too risk averse. The team played better when they took chances.

I’ve said it before. Charlton isn’t all bad but he has knack for calling the worst possible play at the worst possible time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I’m not oblivious that our play calling might have been different this season but for the injuries - that said, Charlton was downright puzzling at times this season

Reaction Score
It was a misdirection play which is common to open games. Fake to Burns running left. Then run right with the option to keep it or to pitch. Zion probably ran it perfectly in practice. Panicked in the game. Noting wrong with the call. Player spit the bit.

Reaction Score
Hated the call as well. Especially for the first offensive play in a month. At least let him get into the flow a little.

And at a horrible time too ruining the high of getting a 4th down call

Reaction Score
It was a misdirection play which is common to open games. Fake to Burns running left. Then run right with the option to keep it or to pitch. Zion probably ran it perfectly in practice. Panicked in the game. Noting wrong with the call. Player spit the bit.
If the pitch was perfect and we ran for a first down Charlton would be called a brilliant play caller!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I credit the announcers for explaining why it was a bad pitch allowing for a strip. Not that it was a good play call, but the mistake was on Zion for not getting outside the defender.

And one of the reasons Zion didn't get outside the defender or just eat the ball is he was asked to run a play he didn't run in HS or during his one season of college football very often. The risk or the "bad play" aspect was you were asking a freshman QB to make a play where reading the D and quick decision making combined with perfect execution of the toss is required for the play to have any chance of success.

I put it in the category of coaches should put players in position to succeed and not ask for stretch goals or stretch execution on first play of game, especially after being off for a month.

Reaction Score
If the pitch was perfect and we ran for a first down Charlton would be called a brilliant play caller!
And something about IF The Queen. They ran that pitch play twice all year and had two turnovers.

Reaction Score
Our entire offense was under tremendous strain after after the 1st quarter of the USU game. Then a few games later when Carter went down for the season. I am absolutely amazed what the team accomplished this season given the hand that was dealt. We had just enough offense to support a pretty good defense and get to a bowl. This team never gave up and they played hard to the last down yesterday.

If Mora can build on this we could head in a good direction.

Reaction Score
Charlton is baffling at times. Whatever the case, the moment was too big for an FCS coach and it showed the first half.

Reaction Score
I think the criticism of Charlton is unfounded. He had to work with a lot of smoke and mirrors all season given the injuries and the youth he was forced to put on the field. He's only 34-35 years old and my take is he can be creative and a great motivator.

I seriously doubt Mora suffers fools and if he didn't think Charlton could coach then we'll see him on his way soon. I don't think that will be the case. We desperately need talent at the skill positions to stay healthy and we have to hope the OL continues on with its very impressive improvement this season. QB is definitely a question mark, but all in all I don't think ZT did all that poorly for a true frosh getting thrown into the mix the way he did.

Reaction Score
I think the criticism of Charlton is unfounded. He had to work with a lot of smoke and mirrors all season given the injuries and the youth he was forced to put on the field. He's only 34-35 years old and my take is he can be creative and a great motivator.

I seriously doubt Mora suffers fools and if he didn't think Charlton could coach then we'll see him on his way soon. I don't think that will be the case. We desperately need talent at the skill positions to stay healthy and we have to hope the OL continues on with its very impressive improvement this season. QB is definitely a question mark, but all in all I don't think ZT did all that poorly for a true frosh getting thrown into the mix the way he did.
Had almost a month to prepare and his entire offense aside from the starting QB back. A lot of teams played like that the entire year and had great offensive production.

Reaction Score
Had almost a month to prepare and his entire offense aside from the starting QB back. A lot of teams played like that the entire year and had great offensive production.

No Carter and Marion, Ross, Houston and the other RB certainly don't seem 100% to me. Ross looked OK, but against Army he was a total disaster.

I get it, you have to play with what you have, but this offense needs a lot more talent before I think anyone can fully assess Charlton. On the upside, Rosa has been a complete surprise. I did not think he would develop as quickly as he did.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was just hoping they spent the month working on snap counts and not having 10 false starts

Reaction Score
No Carter and Marion, Ross, Houston and the other RB certainly don't seem 100% to me. Ross looked OK, but against Army he was a total disaster.

I get it, you have to play with what you have, but this offense needs a lot more talent before I think anyone can fully assess Charlton. On the upside, Rosa has been a complete surprise. I did not think he would develop as quickly as he did.
Marion, Ross, brewton and Houston were there playing and Carter is no longer part of the team. How much more of a full compliment of players do you want. Hardly anyone in football is 100% late in the season. You had all your offensive players, no excuse.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Marion, Ross, brewton and Houston were there playing and Carter is no longer part of the team. How much more of a full compliment of players do you want. Hardly anyone in football is 100% late in the season. You had all your offensive players, no excuse.
Except the most important one, starting QB!

Reaction Score
Was just tough because it set the tone for the first half. Actually impressed the team made a game of it. They showed a lot of heart. Just can't make those sorts of mistakes when you are playing a better team.
And of course, as we focus on what ifs, J-Money has hit the nail on the head. They were the better team. They totally controlled their defensive LOS and shut down the running game (other than one reverse) until at 28-0 the game was largely over.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom