THANK YOU TEAM for a great season | The Boneyard

THANK YOU TEAM for a great season

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I needed to give the NC loss time to percolate in my brain and process it. Of course I was disappointed. Would have liked to have seen a closer game. But just consider what this team accomplished in spite of...

Aubrey was out for the season, poor kid. Wishing her the best in returning. The constant barrage of injuries and illnesses - some of the absences were announced literally hours before a scheduled games and IMHO directly were responsible for the ensuing loss.

On the entire team, only 2 played in every game (Aaliyah and Evina). Literally every other player missed time due to injury or illness.

In spite of all that, we made it to our 14th consecutive final 4. The next team in line for that record has something like 5 consecutive? That is another in the very long list of insane records that UCONN holds or has achieved over the years. Oh, and BTW, UCONN is also on that list with a streak of 5 at a different time.

We had to beat numerous great teams on the way to the NC game. That UCF game was crazy in the 2nd round. Indiana is a great team. NC State and Stanford were both 1 seeds. Based on pre-season expectations, getting to the NC game was no surprise. But getting past all the adversity of the season, not only was it a shock, it was an incredible accomplishment from a team that had to face constant body blows of adversity, even in the last week of the season.

Dorka's loss was devastating. Who was sick in the NC game? Azzi did not participate in the shoot around and played only 16 minutes. The Caroline of "old" returned and even Amari got minutes after not seeing one second in most of the rest of the tourney.

It is amazing that this team accomplished what they did this year. Say what you will about Christyn, Olivia and Evina - they gave all they could. The team over-achieved in every conceivable way and was beaten by the better team on Sunday night. So proud of how hard the entire team battled, their obvious chemistry and love for each other, and what they accomplished. As sad as I am, I know the players took it much harder. It will take some time to process it, and hopefully use it as fuel for next season.

I hope that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER coming back next season takes stock in what they can do to get better, and works on it. I hope the players coming in take stock of where they are skill, fitness, etc.-wise and don't "wait" till the first official practice to work on what needs improvement. I hope all of them have a smoldering fire burning inside that will motivate them for the next 364 days!

Thank you again to the entire team, and to the 3 departing seniors for giving everything they had. I wish Evina, Christyn, and Olivia nothing but the best for the next stage of their life and basketball journeys. Go UCONN!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was a great season. They ended up beating 'em all but one. The upperclassmen can leave with their heads held high. UConn has set such an impossible standard, that it gets lost that making the Final Four is a big deal. This team did that plus stuck another shiv into Stanford.

Reaction Score
Unlike so many in the BY, I did not start following WCBB and UCONN until 2017-2018, so I have never experienced a net cutting.
In spite of that, I don’t feel cheated or deprived. I have been privileged to watch extraordinary young athletes play and compete on a high level from November to
March ( non-Covid) every year.
And each of them has had a distinctive style of play and unique personality.
Had to say goodbye to KLS, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa( who could possibly dislike her) among others.
Now will say farewell to Liv, CW, and Momma E. And will always remember the great days and performances they did provide.
Wish them the best in their future endeavors.
Will see PB, Azzi, AE, Aubrey, Caroline Ducharme, Dorka, Piath, Amari, hopefully, back on the court in November.
And I’m curious to see how much hungrier and intense Nika will be as a Junior.

Reaction Score
Big, big fan of UCONN Woman’s Hoops.
Love this forum and appreciate many of it’s members as well as Nan-who keeps it all on point and civil.
Painful loss, but not for lack of effort or heart.
Box-score easy to read and to identify areas of concern.
I will say that this season’s highs FAR outweigh the lows- up to and including the final game.
I have never witnessed a collection of athletes ( male or female- amateur or pro) get up off the mat, display the heart and persevere to the level that these outstanding woman have.
Nothing but respect.
Thank you Ladies.
Class act.

Reaction Score
This team overachieved by getting to the final game and was just beat by a better team on this night. Who could have even hoped to be in this position after the GT loss or after the Oregon Loss or the Villanova loss?
This final game would have been probably different with Healthy Dorka and Azzi but it is what it is and on to next season where if everyone (who should) comes back, UConn should be a strong candidate for another final 4 run.
It is sad to say goodbye to CW, Liv and especially Mama E but all we can do is say Thank You Seniors for all the hard work and dedication!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1649108645320.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And I’m curious to see how much hungrier and intense Nika will be as a Junior.
Is that even possible? LOL!!

All joking aside, she's a very competent shooter, or worked herself into that the 2nd half of the season. She doesn't have to light it up like Paige or Azzi, but her ability to drain a 3 will make it that much harder for people to leave her open. So many times we saw Christyn wide open, and as a result, she would attempt a 3.

I love that Nika is pass first, but I hope she starts being more aggressive offensively - it will be a welcome addition to her game that will FORCE teams to put someone on her leaving more room for Paige and Azzi to operate...

Did anyone realize Nika ended the season at 34% from 3, just behind Paige at 35%, and behind Azzi at 43%?. She was 4th on the team as Liya shot 40% from deep. Still, my point is, she played the 2nd half of the season as a consistent 3-point threat. More, please, Nika!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
BTW, Nancy @HuskyNan pointed out in a thread on the men's board that Evina was playing well till she twisted her ankle, then hardly played the rest of the game. Also...

Azzi was sick and could hardly play. Liv had a groin injury from a previous game that was heavily wrapped. Frankly, with all that going on, I'm stunned we kept it as close as we did... So much heart and effort from that team!

Reaction Score
These young women should not hang their heads. They squeezed every bit of ability they had to work with into becoming some of the very best basketball players in the world. To even be invited onto the team shows a top .1 % level of achievement. It’s harder to achieve than getting into Harvard. At some point we all meet our Waterloo sometime. These kids have ALL achieved great things already and none of them should ever forget that.

Reaction Score
I needed to give the NC loss time to percolate in my brain and process it. Of course I was disappointed. Would have liked to have seen a closer game. But just consider what this team accomplished in spite of...

Aubrey was out for the season, poor kid. Wishing her the best in returning. The constant barrage of injuries and illnesses - some of the absences were announced literally hours before a scheduled games and IMHO directly were responsible for the ensuing loss.

On the entire team, only 2 played in every game (Aaliyah and Evina). Literally every other player missed time due to injury or illness.

In spite of all that, we made it to our 14th consecutive final 4. The next team in line for that record has something like 5 consecutive? That is another in the very long list of insane records that UCONN holds or has achieved over the years. Oh, and BTW, UCONN is also on that list with a streak of 5 at a different time.

We had to beat numerous great teams on the way to the NC game. That UCF game was crazy in the 2nd round. Indiana is a great team. NC State and Stanford were both 1 seeds. Based on pre-season expectations, getting to the NC game was no surprise. But getting past all the adversity of the season, not only was it a shock, it was an incredible accomplishment from a team that had to face constant body blows of adversity, even in the last week of the season.

Dorka's loss was devastating. Who was sick in the NC game? Azzi did not participate in the shoot around and played only 16 minutes. The Caroline of "old" returned and even Amari got minutes after not seeing one second in most of the rest of the tourney.

It is amazing that this team accomplished what they did this year. Say what you will about Christyn, Olivia and Evina - they gave all they could. The team over-achieved in every conceivable way and was beaten by the better team on Sunday night. So proud of how hard the entire team battled, their obvious chemistry and love for each other, and what they accomplished. As sad as I am, I know the players took it much harder. It will take some time to process it, and hopefully use it as fuel for next season.

I hope that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER coming back next season takes stock in what they can do to get better, and works on it. I hope the players coming in take stock of where they are skill, fitness, etc.-wise and don't "wait" till the first official practice to work on what needs improvement. I hope all of them have a smoldering fire burning inside that will motivate them for the next 364 days!

Thank you again to the entire team, and to the 3 departing seniors for giving everything they had. I wish Evina, Christyn, and Olivia nothing but the best for the next stage of their life and basketball journeys. Go UCONN!
IMO, this will be the single biggest determining factor in how far they go next year.

Reaction Score
Is that even possible? LOL!!

All joking aside, she's a very competent shooter, or worked herself into that the 2nd half of the season. She doesn't have to light it up like Paige or Azzi, but her ability to drain a 3 will make it that much harder for people to leave her open. So many times we saw Christyn wide open, and as a result, she would attempt a 3.

I love that Nika is pass first, but I hope she starts being more aggressive offensively - it will be a welcome addition to her game that will FORCE teams to put someone on her leaving more room for Paige and Azzi to operate...

Did anyone realize Nika ended the season at 34% from 3, just behind Paige at 35%, and behind Azzi at 43%?. She was 4th on the team as Liya shot 40% from deep. Still, my point is, she played the 2nd half of the season as a consistent 3-point threat. More, please, Nika!!!
Thank you Eric, for the absolutely great post honoring our incredibly resilient huskies

Reaction Score
Was the team greeted by our fans at the airport or on campus? Would love to see any footage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Was the team greeted by our fans at the airport or on campus? Would love to see any footage.
I would guess not - looks like a small contingent in the tweet above from the UCONNHuskies official twitter account, but I don't know for sure...

Reaction Score
I thank this team for the wonderful memories. It is a privilege to be a fan of such an outstanding team of women who are a great role model for others. My daughters are grown, but when I first started watching this team I had my them look at what hard work can get you. Also, pointed out how well they presented themselves to the world. Geno and CD seem to always get the type of women that are easy to cheer for. This team has been no different in that respect, but have shown an additional fortitude to accomplish what they have this year. Every senior night brings a tear to my eye, because I will miss them so much. Thanks again to Liv, CW and Evina, you will be missed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom