Thank You Sue Bird. | The Boneyard

Thank You Sue Bird.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hard to believe she has played her last game.

She became a legend in her own time. She leaves the game as the career leader in 3 catagories: games played, assists and in minutes (I believe). Minutes I’m not sure about, the other two I am. Sue played with and competed against a lot of players during her career, including both head coaches of last night’s game.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here’s another one that tugs at the heartstrings…

C0EC24ED-C7FE-48F6-8FCC-1351A2F73DB9.jpeg

It’s pretty obvious how big the moment was for Sue. She went out while she could still play the game at her incredibly high level. A classy exit for a classy lady.

#alwaysahusky

Reaction Score
She will certainly be missed on the floor for sure. I have no doubt that she will still be influencing the game and contributing to her legacy even though she has retired from playing.
Don't forget Togethxr, her media company partnership with Alex Morgan, Chloe Kim and Simone Manuel. Her legacy has extended beyond basketball and will continue to do so.

Reaction Score
Been crying all morning watching these wonderful tributes. We were so lucky to have her both at UConn and in the WNBA.

Forever a Husky.

Onto bigger and better. Her future is bright like the star she is and always will be.

Thank you Sue.

Reaction Score
A big heartfelt THANK YOU to Sue for all she has done and given to women's basketball both at the college level, the WNBA and as an Olympian. I have enjoyed watching her through out her career, there will never be another like her. Not only great at the sport but also a class act!! Sue, good luck in all of your future endeavors. I wish you many years of good health and happiness no one deserves it more! You will truly be missed by many.

Reaction Score
Just made every team and every teammate better. So understated it was almost quizzical at first when everyone called her the GOAT. If you watch her closely you will see that she orchestrated every game from her position like it was never done before and will probably never be done again.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now that the other shoe has fallen, Sue can now seriously think about "what's next." She could become an assistant coach at the college or pro level tomorrow. If you were a WCBB coach, how would you like to take Sue Bird with you when you do home recruiting visits? How impressive would THAT be? She would need no introduction. Most young players would consider it an honor to be coached by her at any level.

She has already begun to hone her skills as a college and WNBA game analyst behind a microphone and in front of a camera in studio and on the sidelines. Now that she has turned the page on the next chapter of her life, I expect her to stay close to the game in some capacity.

She loves the game too much to simply walk away forever. We have not seen the last of Sue. It would not surprise me to see her on some outlet during next week's WNBA championship series. Which ever fork in the road Sue decides to take, you can bet she will be great at it.
What a wonderful ambassador she has been for the game and for UConn these last 21 years. Thanks for the memories Sue. We enjoyed the ride as much as you did. You ARE "The GOAT!!!" :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just made every team and every teammate better. So understated it was almost quizzical at first when everyone called her the GOAT. If you watch her closely you will see that she orchestrated every game from her position like it was never done before and will probably never be done again.
I heard Sue say something to her teammates during a TV broadcast as they broke a huddle during a timeout that I never forgot. She told them "When the ball comes your way, make a play." That was good advice and gave her teammates something to think about.

Reaction Score

I watched Sue at Gampel, Civic center and those teams within 300 miles. AMAZING. She is the one that began the---NEVER GIVE UP ON A PLAY, at Uconn. My favorite game was sitting on the empty side of Gampel and watching her drill a more than 1/2 court shot for the BE Championship LEAD at half time. PURE SUE BIRD. Then with micro seconds left she banks the winning shot at games end BE Championship against ND. Win Win Win.
Not since Sue has a player taken my brains and my heart., but Caroline fills my need for watching Sue. I won't predict but -----
Thank you Sue Bird--no player has and few humans have affected me as Sue has. Bless you Sue. She isn't retired, she's just not playing

Reaction Score
I heard Sue say something to her teammates during a TV broadcast as they broke a huddle during a timeout that I never forgot. She told them "When the ball comes your way, make a play." That was good advice and gave her teammates something to think about.
Do you remember her on the USA Olympic team? Sue the tiny one was the loudest one, AND in charge. She chewed them out, told them where to be, as she did at Uconn --ON the Floor she was THE BOSS. Amazing Sue Bird

Reaction Score
Now that the other shoe has fallen, Sue can now seriously think about "what's next." She could become an assistant coach at the college or pro level tomorrow. If you were a WCBB coach, how would you like to take Sue Bird with you when you do home recruiting visits? How impressive would THAT be? She would need no introduction. Most young players would consider it an honor to be coached by her at any level.

She has already begun to hone her skills as a college and WNBA game analyst behind a microphone and in front of a camera in studio and on the sidelines. Now that she has turned the page on the next chapter of her life, I expect her to stay close to the game in some capacity.

She loves the game too much to simply walk away forever. We have not seen the last of Sue. It would not surprise me to see her on some outlet during next week's WNBA championship series. Which ever fork in the road Sue decides to take, you can bet she will be great at it.
What a wonderful ambassador she has been for the game and for UConn these last 21 years. Thanks for the memories Sue. We enjoyed the ride as much as you did. You ARE "The GOAT!!!" :)
Great post

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom