THANK YOU Gabby and Kia | The Boneyard

THANK YOU Gabby and Kia

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sort of lost in the mass hysteria of losing in the final 4 is that we have officially seen the very last college basketball game of Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse.

We've all heard the saying that "It's the journey, not the destination", or some variation of that. The journey we got to experience with Gabby and Kia was just phenomenal. I'll leave it to @DavidinNaples to give us the numbers (he does great posts putting together stats/numbers), I'd like to point out a few things:

Kia Nurse: She ended up #18 all time in scoring behind Shea and just ahead of Barb Turner. She will always be remembered for her toughness and ability to take on the leading scorer for the opposing team and for the most part, shut them down. I fully expect her to have a great pro career and to continue to lead Team Canada to even greater heights. Not only is she a tremendous all around guard, she turned herself into an elite shooter - one of the best in the nation.

Gabby Williams: She ended up #22 on the all time scoring list - 1 point behind Cash and ahead of Wendy Davis. She also ended up #7 on the all time rebounds list at 1,007. She's #13 on the assists list just behind Hayes and ahead of Swanier. She's #5 on the all time steals list - only 5 behind Maya.

Probably more than any other player in our history, she didn't just rely on her Olympic level athleticism, but instead, turned herself in to a world class basketball player.

So I know we will wish both of them well, and will appreciate the great gift they gave us - the chance for us to watch them and cheer them on for 4 amazing years. Not only are they both great hoopsters, but also classy, intelligent, well spoken young women who are, and will continue to be, great spokespersons and ambassadors for UCONN, and women's basketball.

I look forward to the next chapter in their lives - both professionally and personally as we send off another tremendous duo into the "real world". Thank you ladies for giving us everything you had for 4 great seasons. I wish you nothing but the very best as you begin the next chapter of your lives. We all love you and will miss you. THANK YOU!!!

I'd love for fans to write their favorite memory, or post their favorite picture of either or both of them. I know I'd love to see a ton of great stories or pictures of 2 of the best!

Reaction Score
Kia and Gabby are two of my all-time favorite players at UCONN. During Kia's four years, UCONN lost only one regular season game, Stanford in November, 2014. Gabby didn't play in that game, so her record was perfect. Kia started 99/100 games of the 111 game win streak (Kiah Stokes started on senior day) from the win over Creighton in 2014 to the win over South Carolina (2017) in which she sprained an ankle.

Gabby has been a transformative player for women's basketball; her athleticism combined with her basketball skills have made her a joy to watch. I remember Kia and Gabby taking over games, when a jolt was needed to the offense or defense. I too have enjoyed their interviews; both are knowledgable, well-spoken, and funny. I will miss them.

I do not agree with some who suggest that the last two years have been a lull in the greatness of the program, waiting for the next great player. I think Gabby and Kia have continued the greatness. There has been no lull.

Reaction Score
How life works..

My two favorite players are graduating. They will be remembered for winning two championships. No small feat. Maya won just two as well. But this is how life works. Kia makes a miraculous play to tie the game, then makes a strong defensive play to turn the ball over and give UCONN a chance to win in regulation. Gabby is set up perfectly for the winning shot. If that shot goes in and UCONN goes on to win a championship, that sequence of plays becomes part of UCONN lore and BYer's still clamor to hang a banner for Kia. Many will probably look up her stats and see she had a subpar game on offense and perhaps that's all they'll remember. And Gabby? Failed to block William's shot last year and missed the potential winning shot this year. This hardly defines their UCONN careers. Two fine women. Two exceptional basketball players. For the most part the BY has moved on and these two will soon do so as well. I'll miss them both. Don't kid yourself. Their shoes will not be easily filled next year, I wish them both much luck in the WNBA, and a silver medal for Kia in the next Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
gabby-williams-of-the-connecticut-huskies-and-kia-nurse-of-the-picture-id659808866

Reaction Score
Sort of lost in the mass hysteria of losing in the final 4 is that we have officially seen the very last college basketball game of Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse.

We've all heard the saying that "It's the journey, not the destination", or some variation of that. The journey we got to experience with Gabby and Kia was just phenomenal. I'll leave it to @DavidinNaples to give us the numbers (he does great posts putting together stats/numbers), I'd like to point out a few things:

ERIC: nice touch, as usual from you. And a mighty well deserved send off for these two Huskies for Life. Free associating here about them as a pair, let's see: grit, determination, guts, leadership, defense, big moments, appeal, UCONN Huskies......guess we could all go on for quite some time. Thanks Nurse and Williams ....you too, Eric.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I currently own two numbered UConn basketball shirts. #11 and #15. Thank you, Kia and Gabby for your four year effort!
As long as you don't refer to them as "#'s 11 and 15" like McCallie generally does!

Reaction Score
Two spectacular young women and two UCONN superstars. A privilege to have them on the team we love. It will be interesting to see if the next team(s) generate players who earn the same level of love and respect. I suspect they will, but can't imagine it.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Thank you Gabby and Kia. Gabby and Kia were a joy to watch. I will continue to follow both during their professional tenure. Goodluck, and I wish you both a successful future.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
We were very lucky to run into Gabby after her homecoming game in Reno... She was extremely gracious when we asked to have our picture taken with her.

We've had Rebecca, and Jen, and Kara. and Nykesha, and Diana, and Sue, Swin, and company, and KML, and Maya, and Tina, and Breanna, and, and, and...

But somehow Gabby has touched me the most...

P_20171128_214451_vHDR_On (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm counting down the days until Gabby steps onto a court again to find out if we'll finally be seeing the tattoo or will she be sporting tape for old times sake?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm counting down the days until Gabby steps onto a court again to find out if we'll finally be seeing the tattoo or will she be sporting tape for old times sake?
Does anyone know what it's of?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom