Thank you Eric Frede | The Boneyard

Thank you Eric Frede

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good play-by-play job.

And the whole weekend I dont think I've heard once that Caroline Doty went to Germantown Academy and is from Doylestown, PA. Amazing. But no worries, before anyone has a chance to forget, Picozzi will be back reminding everyone 85 times a game soon enough.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And speaking of Caroline, it still looks like her time away has meant a slow evolution, so far.
Hope she has a good season.

Reaction Score
Blowout Bob Picozzi does a decent job all things considered. It cannot be easy calling blowout after blowout after blowout. The only three games in the last four years that might have maintained his interest longer than 30 minutes into the game was Syracuse at Syracuse in 2008, Louisville at Louisville 2008, and DePaul at DePaul in 2008. Everything else has been a yawner.

There are times, possibly quite often when has to call a game as if viewers might be tuning in for the first time.

Reaction Score
Then spend more time on game prep coming up with interesting things to say.

Eric has managed to find stuff in 3 super blowouts. And slow-paced boring blowouts at that.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Eric indicates who is on the floor. Imagine that

Shades of Marty Glickman.

Only Kibs remembers that.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Eric indicates who is on the floor. Imagine that

Shades of Marty Glickman.

Only Kibs remembers that.
Kibs may be one of our senior statesmen but I when I remember Marty. Of course he was doing radio play by play so.....

Might as well play Marty trivia...for 5 points....as an athlete, what was his special sports "history"?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Knocked off Olympic Team track team in Germany(1936?) because he was Jewish?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Knocked off Olympic Team track team in Germany(1936?) because he was Jewish?
From Wikipedia:

Track career spoiled by anti-Semitism at the Berlin Olympics

Glickman was a member of the U. S. team in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany, as a sprinter. He had been a track star at Syracuse University. Glickman traveled to Germany and spent two weeks practicing as part of the 400-yard relay team. However, the day before they were scheduled to compete, Glickman and teammate Sam Stoller, two American Jews, were replaced on the 4x100m relay team.
By Glickman’s own account, the last-minute switch was a straightforward case of anti-Semitism.[2] Avery Brundage, chairman of the United States Olympic Committee, was an enthusiastic supporter of Hitler’s regime and denied that the Nazis followed anti-Semitic policies.[3] Brundage and assistant U.S. Olympic track coach Dean Cromwell were members of America First, an isolationist political movement that attracted American Nazi sympathizers.
Glickman's friend Jesse Owens was apologetic and protested the maneuver, even though he was one of the replacements, along with Ralph Metcalfe.
In 1998, William J. Hybl, president of the United States Olympic Committee, citing: “great evidence of anti-Semitism was there,” presented Glickman with a special plaque: “in lieu of the gold medals they didn’t win.” [4]

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia:

Track career spoiled by anti-Semitism at the Berlin Olympics

Glickman was a member of the U. S. team in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany, as a sprinter. He had been a track star at Syracuse University. Glickman traveled to Germany and spent two weeks practicing as part of the 400-yard relay team. However, the day before they were scheduled to compete, Glickman and teammate Sam Stoller, two American Jews, were replaced on the 4x100m relay team.
By Glickman’s own account, the last-minute switch was a straightforward case of anti-Semitism.[2] Avery Brundage, chairman of the United States Olympic Committee, was an enthusiastic supporter of Hitler’s regime and denied that the Nazis followed anti-Semitic policies.[3] Brundage and assistant U.S. Olympic track coach Dean Cromwell were members of America First, an isolationist political movement that attracted American Nazi sympathizers.
Glickman's friend Jesse Owens was apologetic and protested the maneuver, even though he was one of the replacements, along with Ralph Metcalfe.
In 1998, William J. Hybl, president of the United States Olympic Committee, citing: “great evidence of anti-Semitism was there,” presented Glickman with a special plaque: “in lieu of the gold medals they didn’t win.” [4]
Looking up a trivia question on Wikipedia? Really? No points for you!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Looking up a trivia question on Wikipedia? Really? No points for you!
True, Biff. But Ozzie had already answered. And Wiki had some additional interesting trivia, like Avery Brundage's role. That's why I decided to post it. Don't "hate" on me....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember Marty too. I learned on the Boneyard a few years ago that he was a former athlete.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I must admit I am impressed with Biff's encyclopedic knowledge…last time I saw him, he looked 2o yrs younger than me.

Reaction Score
Back to topic, if I may. Frede is really good, even if he cannot really say the word 'Dayton" properly (something about a glottal stop somewhere around the 't'). There were relatively few cliches and random factoids (i.e. Caroline and Doylestown), which somehow keeps Meghan in the game as well. It's one whole level above what we get from Picozzi.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Back to topic, if I may. Frede is really good, even if he cannot really say the word 'Dayton" properly (something about a glottal stop somewhere around the 't'). There were relatively few cliches and random factoids (i.e. Caroline and Doylestown), which somehow keeps Meghan in the game as well. It's one whole level above what we get from Picozzi.
Amen, Frede was better last year and still is, plus he keeps far more on topic and effective.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Meghan said at one point that he was doing a fine job (para) and that she was looking forward...he said there was the matter of the tryout first. I have hope that he may become her other half. Oh, to have the plays called and the players identified! Also, I think it makes Meghan less chatty and into endless superficialities. She was much better focused, and even discussed plays and strategies from time to time.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I remember Marty too. I learned on the Boneyard a few years ago that he was a former athlete.
Has anyone here had their name announced by Marty in an athletic competition? Besides me, that is?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
even when they were interviewing Bird he was calling the game

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has anyone here had their name announced by Marty in an athletic competition? Besides me, that is?

Do tell.

I grew up listening to Marty Glickman do play-by-play of NY (football) Giants games on the radio.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Do tell.

I grew up listening to Marty Glickman do play-by-play of NY (football) Giants games on the radio.
PSAL Football Championship Game, Stuyvesant vs. Brooklyn Tech (my school), Randalls Island Stadium. November, 1959. Tech won, going away.

Yes, Marty was big back then, announcing the Giants. Conerly, Tittle, Gifford, Rote, Sam Huff and the rest of that great defense. We were psyched when we heard he was doing our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom