THANK YOU BIG EAST!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

THANK YOU BIG EAST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SMU seemed proud of the alliance

http://www.smu.edu/aboutsmu/facts/advertising

NYT Jan 6 2012
I can see SMU being the school that benefits the most from joining the BE. They are in as fertile a recruiting area as there is in the country. Another sleeping giant arising from hibernation. Back in the days of the Pony Express (or Excess) the ONLY difference between SMU and the other SWC teams...SMU got caught!

Reaction Score
Out of the 300 or so people working in my former unit at a major finance company in NYC, maybe 10 to 15 went to schools that had a major FBS football program. 60% (the ants) went to CUNY and other local colleges, 25% (middle management) went to liberal arts and top 100 schools like BU, NYU, GW, 15% (top management) went to Ivy Leagues and Ivy equivalents. Yes, I'm stereotyping so dont take things too literally.

Point being many New Yorkers just don't relate to college sports and since there is no "New York State University " (ala Michigan, Penn St., OSU, etc.) there is no local "tax dollars"/"my nephew is going there" team that everyone rallies around.

Reaction Score
NYC embraces college football already...I can tell you that aving worked there for the past 12 years...problem is this: The NYC work force went to college somewhere...thet root for their alma mater. On Saturdays during football season each school has a bar or bars where their fans go to watch games in Manhattan. Bars will go so far as to get banners made up with slogans such as "The Official HQ of PSU Football". Manhattan is also very neighborhood like believe it or not. People rarely travel outside a 8-10 block radius of where they live. The one exception...college football Saturday and NFL football Sunday. This is the reason NYC doesn't have a "true" college team. We definitely have a presence in NYC though...and if our new AD markets athletics the way Pres Herbst wants ..sky's the limit!

FD - agreed. Here's a pretty good article from 2010 that sums it up:

http://guestofaguest.com/new-york/sports/where-to-watch-college-football-in-nyc-2010-edition/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom