Thamel on the UConn job | The Boneyard

Thamel on the UConn job

Reaction Score
Coaching carousel: Is UConn still an elite job? Which teams could land Danny Hurley?
Hurley is in Pittsburgh for the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament, simultaneously attempting to lead his team and juggle his future. Hurley told reporters there today that he hasn’t “thought one second” about coaching at Pitt. That statement is as necessary in that moment as it is untruthful in reality. It would be stunning, with two prime jobs in the Northeast open, if Hurley is back at Rhode Island next season. He’s considered a top candidate for the open Pittsburgh job, and one of the things he may mull is whether the more stable revenue stream from the ACC – more than $20 million annually in league revenue – outweighs UConn’s richer history and more fertile recruiting area.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wish Pitt would just hire Crean and be done with it. They are a good marriage.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old why the annual revenue from the ACC vs AAC matters in this context? If we offer the same amount of money I don't see how Pitt is the more enticing choice.

It doesn't.

Thamel is a Syracuse grad and it was a complete hit piece.

Read the rest... punctuated by this last paragraph.

"Have the changing dynamics impacted UConn’s ability to lure a top coach?

One thing Pitt doesn’t have is the specter of Calhoun, the Hall of Fame coach in both basketball acumen and cantankerousness who ended up clashing with Ollie. (The firing of former assistant Glen Miller was a big issue.) Politics is a much bigger part of the UConn job, and ring kissing isn’t exactly a defining Hurley family trait. (Calhoun was also caught cheating, and it’s always hard to follow a cheater and win at that level without, well, actually cheating. Ollie also leaves the program under NCAA investigation, continuing the tradition.)"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It doesn't.

One thing Pitt doesn’t have is the specter of Calhoun, the Hall of Fame coach in both basketball acumen and cantankerousness who ended up clashing with Ollie. (The firing of former assistant Glen Miller was a big issue.) Politics is a much bigger part of the UConn job, and ring kissing isn’t exactly a defining Hurley family trait. (Calhoun was also caught cheating, and it’s always hard to follow a cheater and win at that level without, well, actually cheating. Ollie also leaves the program under NCAA investigation, continuing the tradition.)"

Thamel's such a bitter turd. Should turn his eagle eye on his own toxic waste dump of a program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish Pitt would just hire Crean and be done with it. They are a good marriage.
3017232-5915372457-igor1.jpg

"That's what I said to Heather right before she covered her mouth and ran out of the room"

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old why the annual revenue from the ACC vs AAC matters in this context? If we offer the same amount of money I don't see how Pitt is the more enticing choice.

My guess is more money for the program (better travel, facilities), amd he'd be less like to be terminated for cause rather than be paid a buyout he's negotiated.

Reaction Score
Ummm, yeah ... that little detail that you are missing in your argument.

Pitt is demonstrating how to misuse the “for cause” provision.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It doesn't.

Pete, does the name Bernie Fine ring a bell?

Reaction Score
My guess is more money for the program (better travel, facilities), amd he'd be less like to be terminated for cause rather than be paid a buyout he's negotiated.
LOL!!! Why does this not surprise me in the least...

Reaction Score
Lamel is pretty clueless. Would've been easy to guess where he graduated from.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom